Brake Nightmare

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Deep_Blu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Alright, so my brakes and rotors where shot, it started pulling hard on one side (passenger) so I gave it the full treatment and since I found one of the rear calipers seized I preemptively replaced everything.

New Rotors, Calipers, Drums (because 3/4 ton).

And then came the nightmare, the driver front is eating itself, if such a thing could happen it's pressing too hard maybe? It's getting hot to the point where you can feel the heat coming off the system by standing next to it, and because of this I had to stop driving the thing because I know that level of heat can **** up the grease in my bearings.

Any idea what is going on here? I've never had *any* vehicle do this to me, let alone the Ram that tends to not care what happens.

It's a 2008 Ram 2500, Crewcab 4X4,5.7 Hemi, short bed (I know I'm lame, it's a gasser)

OCDTech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would suspect a bad caliper even new. I would take it off, take the pads out compress it see if it binds, or easier just get a replacement.

OCDTech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Agree with Marley, on collapsed line, as another potential cause. Ive never seen that , but definitely heard of it.

OP
OP
D

Deep_Blu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I bled all four properly, followed everything to the book, But I've never heard of a collapsed line, how do you check for that? it it just an obvious kink or what?

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I actualy saw my first collapsed brake line the other day. The symptoms were pretty similar. Replaced the brake line and it's fine. We actually replaced them all since one was bad.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I bled all four properly, followed everything to the book, But I've never heard of a collapsed line, how do you check for that? it it just an obvious kink or what?
Remove the line and try to blow through it. Another way to check is jack the tire up and press the brake pedal and then let off. See if the caliper hangs up. If it does try opening the brake like and releasing the pressure and see if the caliper is still hanging up.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

OCDTech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Collapses internally working like a check valve, lets fluid through, wont let it back. Wouldn't worry about a check, i would just replace. Actually just started doing this unless the vehicle isn't that old. on your i would.

OP
OP
D

Deep_Blu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Collapses internally working like a check valve, lets fluid through, wont let it back. Wouldn't worry about a check, i would just replace. Actually just started doing this unless the vehicle isn't that old. on your i would.

Checked it anyways because I was curious, nothing, that line was SO fudged that it does not leak when the hose is completely removed from the caliper, even when you press on the brakes it takes a half step for it to start dribbling, I'm guessing the truck is big enough that it can just power though having one of it's brakes almost entirely locked up.

Thanks guys, I would have never figured this out without you, ordered the part on Amazon, 18 bucks shipped.

RedneckHippy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 3500 Tradesman
Engine
6.4 Hemi w/ MDS
I’m sure I’m preaching to the choir, but It’ll happen if you let the weight of the caliper be supported by the brake line when messing with the brakes. I use a coat hanger or a zip tie to suspend the weight of the caliper when it is unbolted so the brake line doesn’t get the abuse.

CVX20

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’m sure I’m preaching to the choir, but It’ll happen if you let the weight of the caliper be supported by the brake line when messing with the brakes. I use a coat hanger or a zip tie to suspend the weight of the caliper when it is unbolted so the brake line doesn’t get the abuse.
Exactly!I cringe when I see a hanging caliper or a pinched off line when someone is changing a caliper.If you ever get caught with a bad one you'll never forget it.

pajeepman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
My last truck had this problem I think. Changed caliper, pads, rotors. Though I was good. Rotor trash after 10k miles. Changed pad and line to see if that was problem, truck totaled before I got to check it out.

Sent from my SM-A205U using Tapatalk

bm02tj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If I catch anyone pinching off a brake hose I inform them to replace
It is not safe after that has been done

10 Break

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

I had this joy on an F-150 years ago. Piston would not back off the pads.