Brake Pads

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
Problem with cheap rotors is you get what you pay for. a decent rotor costs about $90 or more. Most likely, if you buy the cheap ones (which are still about $65) they will warp fairly quickly. As for cutting them, I have a brake lathe and cut my own. I measure thickness before and haven't had any issues with not meeting spec, Usually have at least 100 mills above spec after cutting. typically I only need to cut 15 - 20 mills off to true them up. bottom line, don't cheap out on brake parts, they're what keeps you out of the trunk of the car in front of you.
I agree 110$, You get what you pay for !
I changed out the cheap set that was on the RAM as they were severely rusted ! I mean bad , not warped just nasty !
SO I went to the WAGNER E Coated .
They should hold up better for me in the salt belt !

RumRunner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I'm in need of brakes, and have read through this and other threads trying to decide what I want. I have a few questions, it's been a very long time since I've done brakes myself, but I really don't feel like paying over 1K for brakes on my truck, which is what I've seen for price quotes.

So like most, it seems to be between Wagner and Powerstop. I like the option of getting the complete kit from Powerstop, but it's about $150 more. Just wondering if it's worth it.

I can get the powerstop K2164-36 front and rear kit from Amazon for $411, that includes free shipping.

I have not been able to find all the Wagner parts on Amazon, but from Rock Auto I can get the Wagner E Coated rotors for $180 and the OEX pads for $64, total of about $265 with shipping. But they only have 2 rotors in stock, not sure of the wait for the other 2. I'm in no hurry though.

And depending on where I look, the Wagner has multiple options for rotors. Not sure what the difference is, seems to be size of rotor in mm. But it seems they all would fit.

Anyway, for roughly $150 more, what do you all think, is the powerstop kit worth it? I suppose buying on Amazon would make returns easier if any parts came damaged or anything.

If I went with the OEX pads and the Powerstop rotors that would come in the z36 kit, it would be about $310 and $66 in shipping from Rock Auto. This now is only $35 cheaper than the full powerstop kit. But are the OEX pads any better or worse than the pads in the Powerstop kit?

I hate decisions LOL. Any help appreciated, thanks.

Oh, if it makes any difference I am in New England, so gets cold and lots of salt on the roads, but full swing of weather in summer to hot and humid. I tow a utility trailer, usually not more than 3K lbs. Not much off road. I've only put 70K on the truck since it was new 5 years ago, and it has the original brakes.

2016 Laramie 1500 short bed, CC, 5.7, 392, 20" wheels

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I heard great things about powerstop, I'm not sure how they can be better then wagner oex, and I like their e coated painted rotors for 55 bucks a piece as well. If anything, due to the sections in the oex design, I think their design is better, and they bite like hell with no dusting. Just because powerstop costs more, I'm not sure they are better. Now, that is mostly talking about pads, you can make an argument slotted rotors versus plain. Are the powerstop e coated and slotted? It might be something like getting wagner pads and PS rotors or visa versa, does the package deal save you anything over substituting wagner oex? I was surprised how much quicker our vehicles stops with the oex. I thought you could not make much gains with anti lock brakes, I was pleasantly wrong about that. If you are not more confused now I sure am:)

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I've ran both the Wagner OEX and E Coated rotors before on my truck. The only problem I had with them is the e coating didn't hold up to the New England coastal salt air/road salt very well. They rusted to the point only about an inch on the backs of all 4 rotors were actually doing anything. BUT before they got to that point they were a great pad/rotor. My truck sits a lot during the week so I'm sure that didn't help. I would totally recommend the Wagner OEX pads/E coated rotors to anyone tho.

I replaced the Wagners with the Powerstop Z36 pads/rotors at all 4 corners. I am legitimately blown away at how well they work and stand up to corrosion. They grab hard when needed and shed heat very well while towing. Very little dust as well. When these wear down I will definitely be getting another set.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Yeah, so e coated is great for California, not so much for the other ****** dirt across the US of A - Mass. Good review Corey, I wondered how that paint would do in the salt belt. So yeah depending on where you are power stop package may actually be better.

RumRunner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I was already leaning towards at least wanting the powerstop rotors. Has anyone used the OEX pads with the power stop rotors? Aside from price, wondering if there would be any benefit from going cross brand.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Wagner has the slots, good for keeping pads cool, maybe not so much if a rock gets in there. I like them, but to be honest if I just used the truck in medium to light duty, I'd just opt for the powerstop package in Mass since Corey's update. He would know, same state review there. He tows heavy, maybe he has a better reason for oex.

OIP.jpg

s-l300.jpg

RumRunner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well I think I'm settled on getting the power stop pads and rotors. I like being able to order from the same place for both. Now just need to part with the money and order :D

OP
OP
D

Damon7278

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for the feedback, took it to a local shop and got a good rate on all rotors and pads.

RumRunner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Put on the new Power Stop rotors and pads today. They are definitely better than stock. Did the break in stuff and they seem good.

Southbay

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Looking at the Power Stop Evolution Geomet Coated Kit (rotors and pads) on Rock Auto for my 2013 1500 Crew. Want something coated to deal with winter and the truck also sits a lot, gets driven like 3K miles a year. Have read a lot about Power Stop here, all different kinds, wondering if anyone knows about or has an opinion of the Evolution Geomet. Truck is used light duty, some hauling, no towing. Thanks.

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Last time I checked Carquest or Advanced Auto still did it. I am running Powerstop rotors and pads. I love them. Weren't that much more then stock stuff if I remember correctly. Summit is your best bet for them.
Rotors
Pads

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Looking at the Power Stop Evolution Geomet Coated Kit (rotors and pads) on Rock Auto for my 2013 1500 Crew. Want something coated to deal with winter and the truck also sits a lot, gets driven like 3K miles a year. Have read a lot about Power Stop here, all different kinds, wondering if anyone knows about or has an opinion of the Evolution Geomet. Truck is used light duty, some hauling, no towing. Thanks.
You will love them! I love the way they stop.

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That is what they look like!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-10-15 at 1.04.55 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-10-15 at 1.04.55 PM.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 10
  • Screen Shot 2021-10-15 at 1.05.11 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-10-15 at 1.05.11 PM.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 10

RoyDP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v6
Check out RockAuto, great prices and you can choose your parts

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Standardized brake dyno tests with many heat/cool cycles among various brands on youtube show OEM pads are measurably superior than the others for braking, fade resistance and corrosion resistance. Corrosion resistance means longevity (value). I just wish the OEM pads weren't quite as expensive.

I used to buy whatever Decent brake pads too, from parts stores, or Rock Auto, but I thought the dyno tests were eye-opening. I can say the best brake pads from OReileys for one of my long-term DD cars will rust up badly in about 3 winters and have had several pads fall right off the backing plate (and ruining the rotor). So I quit buying them. Same for my plow vehicle too.

Removing 5 years old pads and driving around a couple days with Brand-X pads is not really a reliable 'test' to say they're better than OEM. But of course they might be a quality product nonetheless.

Southbay

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Last time I checked Carquest or Advanced Auto still did it. I am running Powerstop rotors and pads. I love them. Weren't that much more then stock stuff if I remember correctly. Summit is your best bet for them.
Rotors
Pads

Thanks for the info. I don't think I need any of the higher end drilled and slotted stuff though, the truck never tows anything and just basically goes around town, some longer trips to ski mountains in winter. Have never really heard of the Power Stop products until recently, so I wasn't sure if they were legit or not. from a few things I've read here it seems a lot of guys like their stuff for their Rams.

I've used Bosch brakes for the past 6-7yrs or so on my other truck and really liked those, I don't see much written here about them though. Consensus seems to be Wagner OEX or Power Stop products.

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks for the info. I don't think I need any of the higher end drilled and slotted stuff though, the truck never tows anything and just basically goes around town, some longer trips to ski mountains in winter. Have never really heard of the Power Stop products until recently, so I wasn't sure if they were legit or not. from a few things I've read here it seems a lot of guys like their stuff for their Rams.

I've used Bosch brakes for the past 6-7yrs or so on my other truck and really liked those, I don't see much written here about them though. Consensus seems to be Wagner OEX or Power Stop products.
When I checked the prices I believe NAPA wanted about 10 dollars more then these. That is why I just went with those. Wagner OEX is a great product.

heckcat9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Has anyone had any issues with cracking in cold environments with the Power Stop Z36 rotors? Seems like they only offer these with slots and cross drilled. :/

Edit: looks like Raybestos and Stoptech both make pads, rotors, and calipers for Rams as well... We used to run these on our track cars back in the day. Anyone have experience with these on their Rams?

Last edited: