Brake Problems: Brake pedal position short to ground and lots of pedal travel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Davood

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi 4x4
What does the ORC do to the ABS in a rolloer situation?

Little background, I have resurrected a rolled-over beast 2017 4x4. Near the final stages. The vehicle starts and I have fixed most of the problems and cleared the associated codes. I have a few lingering ABS codes and a brake pedal position monitor "short to ground" that denies me from the ability to shift out of park.
1) the brake pedal sensor was broken so I replaced it (does this need to be calibrated after replacement?)
2) ABS code 004211 (active Brake pedal) along with PIC4E from the PCM and (0032 and 00132 and U0110E all pending) the left front wheel brake line was kinked. So I straightened it out while waiting for the replacement line, and have since replaced the line and bled the brakes.

what has not changed is the pedal behavior (and of course the in-ability to shift out of park). The pedal is nice and firm with the Ignition off, once started the pedal travels a lot, almost to the floor. Also, if I start the truck with foot off the pedal, the display shows P solid green lit PARK. but foot on the pedal the P starts flashing, still not able to shift. with the IGN off the pedal gets firm again.

Thinking AIR in the ABS from when the truck was ass over teakettle. I have yet to do a full bleed on the system. DOes it make sense that air got in the system if someone stomped on the brakes when rolled over?? DOes the ORC do anything funny to the ABS when there is a rollover situation???

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

Davood

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi 4x4
OK,fully bled the brakes including the ABS, nothing changed. Update: found a connector that is broken off from the sensor and the color of the wires correlate to the "Brake Pedal Position Sensor" so this explains the error. However there is no sensor, I can even find where it would mount; all I can find is the female plastic shroud that mates with the connector on the harness. There is a small hole in the bracket above the brake pedal travel sensor, is this where the position sensor goes?? Looks like the old brake pedal position sensor disappeared.

Anyone got a part number and physical location (or better yet picture of it).

OP
OP
D

Davood

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi 4x4
SOLUTION: the wiring diagram has this part mislabeled (a bit frustrating). The wiring diagrams call it a Brake Pedal Position Sensor, but in reality this is the Gear Selector lever release solenoid. Oh and so much for not being able to cross wires. The Brake Travel sensor and the Gear Selector Solenoid are both 4 pin connectors / sockets; and the Gear Selector connector reaches and fits into the Brake Travel Sensor, whereas the Brake Travel connector cannot fit into the Gear Selector socket (its got some tabs), but the harness cant reach that location anyway

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
Glad you solved your problem.
Even more impressed you came back and shared your Solution, so that another might get help, later on.
That is a what makes this forum so useful and with few posts, you;'re doing it Right.
Again, well done, Sir.

Would suggest you post the wiring diagram, if possible.
If discussing such, post it up so the reader can see what you are discussing.

again, Impressive and well done.

Nicholas Cove

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
SOLUTION: the wiring diagram has this part mislabeled (a bit frustrating). The wiring diagrams call it a Brake Pedal Position Sensor, but in reality this is the Gear Selector lever release solenoid. Oh and so much for not being able to cross wires. The Brake Travel sensor and the Gear Selector Solenoid are both 4 pin connectors / sockets; and the Gear Selector connector reaches and fits into the Brake Travel Sensor, whereas the Brake Travel connector cannot fit into the Gear Selector socket (its got some tabs), but the harness cant reach that location anyway
Mitchell or all data lol ?

OP
OP
D

Davood

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi 4x4
1674700487803.png
this is the portion of the schematic this is in a folder labelled 2017 RAM chassis, and file is titled BRAKE-SYSTEM. The instrument on the bottom 3 wires in a 4 wire connector (same colors) but this connector need to be mated with the solenoid on the shift lever that allows shift out of park (after you have put your foot on the brake). The 4 pin connector down on the brake pedal has all 4 pins populated (different colors too).

Last edited: