Brake Squeak when Braking?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jgruberman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel 3.0L
I have a 2014 2500 with factory brakes and shoes with plenty of life left on them.

I've noticed lately that when I apply brakes, there is a brief second or two squeal then it stops and I don't hear it again for the entire braking process. It happened while I was towing our 22' boat and may be without also but I haven't noticed it.

I bought new pads thinking it was a wear indicator and turns out that all four wheels have good life left on the pads. I bought some brake cleaner thinking I can spay it on there through the wheel and clean off any crap in there, but not sure what else it might be.

Anyone have any ideas to this, or maybe personal experience? Thanks in advance!

dlromo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
The squeal is a vibration, clean everything up and add lubricant at caliper points and behind pads.

Might as well replace those 7 year old pads while you’re there.

OP
OP
jgruberman

jgruberman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel 3.0L
The squeal is a vibration, clean everything up and add lubricant at caliper points and behind pads.

Yeah that's a fair point. I guess I figured if the pads aren't needing replacement don't replace them? Not the case?

dlromo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
At least scuff ‘em up? Could be glazed over.

SeppW

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Squealing is usually an indicator the pads are down to the indicator and it's scraping against the rotor. 7 years on OE pads and rotors? They likely need to be serviced/replaced.

OP
OP
jgruberman

jgruberman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel 3.0L
Squealing is usually an indicator the pads are down to the indicator and it's scraping against the rotor. 7 years on OE pads and rotors? They likely need to be serviced/replaced.

I looked but the pads were good condition, took every wheel off and inspected because I was also doing a tire rotation at that time. I've only owned the truck for a year or two maybe. Doesn't mean they weren't serviced at a dealer prior.

OP
OP
jgruberman

jgruberman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel 3.0L

Sorry I missed this earlier, to the point someone else added... I haven't owned the truck all 7 years maybe 1-2

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Unless I missed it somewhere nobody has asked how many miles are on the brakes that should be replaced. I got 100K out of my OEMs on my 2014 and probably could have gone even a bit longer. If you still have meat on the pads there's probably no reason to replace them. At least not unless the squeaking gets bad or you're having other problems. The brakes on these trucks are funny. Some owners never hear a peep and others complain of constant squeaks and noises. I'd probably just give it some time and see if it goes away or gets worse.

pjcodner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Mine squeak every once in a while when I am backing out of the garage. I have a 2015 2500 with 15k miles on it and I know for a fact my pads are not worn down. Probably just glazing on the rotors and I would try scuffing them up first before replacing them. As mtofell stated his lasted 100k before he replaced them. I have heard others go way further than that if you do mostly highway driving.

Senodil

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500
Engine
Cummins
My truck started a faint squeak which sounded like the pad indicators. Turned out to be a wheel bearing going bad, 2018 with 52K.... Might want to check them

ManAndHisRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Been down this road many times. Some brake pads just squeak. The cheaper organic ones in particular. I've had to change out brand new pads many times because of the noise they made. Just to make it more fun, some pads will "break in" and become quiet after a few hundred miles. I have found that the expensive ceramic pads are generally quieter but not always.