Help Support Ram Forum by donating:

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brake Troubles

Discussion in 'Tech Info' started by Bigtman07, Dec 4, 2014.

1. MoparMagic'00

MoparMagic'00 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.2 Magnum
    how do i tell if i have left over gm brakes or not.. its a 6 of 99 build..

2. Bigtman07

Bigtman07 Registered User

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Cummins 5.9
    I checked my manual and it just talks about the wheels. I'm not sure there is a way. But i bled the system again and this time i found some air. Finally some progress! Now it only takes 2 pumps while driving to get brakes. lol Seems though the right rear line or the rears in general have air still. I can hear the rear brakes smack the drum when I hit the brakes sometimes.

Magic I think most 2nd gen all have GM brakes. If you want to upgrade I have heard talk about a 96 or so Chevy 1ton rear wheel cylinder can be put in for more stopping power.

MoparMagic'00 likes this.
  3. Merc225hp

Merc225hp Senior Member

Ram Year:
    truck
    Engine:
    gas
    Bigman07 Sorry Sir I have not yet looked into this for you been busy elsewhere. Good to read you are making a headway with it.

As for brake upgrade for the 1500's, you can use the 2500 brake calipers, bigger master cylinder. I am not one for saying install the bigger rear wheel cylinders as the rear brakes already like to lock up under wet/slippery conditions.

Bigtman07 likes this.
  4. Bigtman07

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Cummins 5.9
    No worries Merc. I'll get it all figured out eventually. Only reason I know of the larger wheel cylinders is the diesel pulling guys do that change because of the larger tires they run and it fits all 3 sizes. I'm going to bleed the brakes again tonight and hope for more air out of the system.

5. Merc225hp

Merc225hp Senior Member

Ram Year:
    truck
    Engine:
    gas
  6. Bigtman07

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Cummins 5.9
    Thanks Merc!

Well after beating my head into the wall I figured out what it was... I am an idiot...

When I first pulled the drum off to change the wheel cylinder the brake adjuster wasn't where it should be. It was just kinda laying in the pads area. I put it where it belongs without another thought... Well I should have thought that the adjuster is all the way closed... So therefore the new wheel cylinder was having to go beyond the normal travel to operate the brakes. I adjusted the brakes out where they belonged and everything is great. Thanks for all the help Merc and others! This one had me goin for a loop but it was just s simple overlooked adjustment.

7. Merc225hp

Merc225hp Senior Member

Ram Year:
    truck
    Engine:
    gas
    You're Welcome anytime.

Right on man good to read its fixed and well shit happens.

8. Bigtman07

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Cummins 5.9
    Yeah it does haha

Do you happen to know if the adjuster keeper is listed anywhere as a part number? Mine is bent all out of whack.

9. Merc225hp

Merc225hp Senior Member

Ram Year:
    truck
    Engine:
    gas
    My parts books go from 94-08 yes I have part numbers lol. But what part is the adjuster keeper?

In the 2000 parts book page 106 is where the brake parts start, do you have this book? Can I get a photo of said part?

10. Bigtman07

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Cummins 5.9
    See if any of these number match what you have. I highly doubt I can get them at the parts store. It's probably all dealer only stuff but here goes...

[​IMG]

In the above image the part that is messed up on mine is the Adjuster lever. In the process of trying to find a picture I came across an ebay add for the exact parts I need so there is hope haha But for information purposes Here are the part numbers I found.

Lever Right: 04383276
    Lever Left: 04383277

Raybestos H2581 Drum Brake Self Adjuster Repair Kit Rear Right | eBay

Found it at the parts store too... I really need to stop trying to look things up when I'm tired haha
    http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/s...odel=Ram+2500&vi=1361999&year=2000&make=Dodge

Last edited: Dec 18, 2014