Brakes, how good are yours?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Spage

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
I'm considering giving my 1st gen to my daughter so she can tow a horse trailer. I'm concerned about the brakes. The truck always stops, doesn't pull, but I'm not so sure they are up to *****. The truck has a 2 inch lift and 285 75 16 tires. I primarily drive it to HomeDepot, the dump, or occasionally pick up a load of gravel to fix the driveway.

Although the truck stops, it doesn't stop fast. Only on wet ground does the rear antilock brake warning ever flash if I apply the brakes really hard. On dry road, I can't lock a wheel. So I'm trying to determine if this is normal or if I have a problem that needs to be fixed.

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
how many horses and does the trailer have brakes? really sounds like you should look at adjusting the brakes. my buddy put an adjustable proportioning valve on his 92 d250 and he said it seems to stop better and he hauls 1-3000lbs in the bed on regular bases. the truck could likely use some upgrades to wake it up but the engine should have no problem pulling that. a better turbo and an inter cooler would likely help wake the engine up. my buddies 91w250 was turbo that was putting about 29psi boost and it had no problem pulling. the issue for him now is traction.
2qE1bv0yA4dNBfgSybr4vlTrdENRj4vyTaRvsdtoiWBvJyl-gag2yLw-GGeVHOmQNtBsaJ5emr76n8GP4dXSavIGFLoaXgbidJv3c_EXlLCYC5D5IJctfxZ-ylEL31GV3Re-vHdJ0LzJi5g6HsfrPiVeCo_AiCraxNVWSVNWPG0iDyR6vQm7QDz8l-AdpGOxGB7tmdNSzUvjsY1FVmkME3TGkjtXQ5ZotHb6OFN9hlAti__dkD81hMW29D9Enh8UT4lb7N9dT-UfK_vHCoHA4Oe95MfkERCKqo8g2mgofx6cd7m-wqB5Ll779cdizYBljUYcblQTdJSc804OscgocMSwlZM7B_ulQynun3Xi8KUN8EycJTmcpgX5i8zqCt9MsvdzayWX5GvxiEx17kA1cjLhgWQqLVLU-K5IONYo7oVETgFpORYf0_9vtNnz0XIaIx7g76kl-SLYCV2YKPVveAsg8pN6jH5-oEvX98aR_ZRzjUy92aXclRzj5ael-EaRm2Dg8RtVwm5RjjjX8TLJIOUVkL-HeK0KOJFeD7FnpbwyFwmgh4CVPeTlXdhu3j_STjh10Uz0lswzVcU_3r9RO49rDzUgttX4XNAAXoWn_3HCZKeg2j9PqIo7eFJbH6PO6dcnnMzGEvrXPqnPg12K1tJ7_ZxGrfa3Axf29TWvVfU86uFt8T-rnaQo8U0EiA=w1006-h566-no

PaPitt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L
I've gone through this situation once. & I worked on it a couple of times .
Then I had a good shop look at it ..No change . Then we had this old Homeless Guy in our town .. I'd grown up with him . & We really liked each other . I'd do things for him from time to time ... & He kind of had my BACK because he could allways come to me in that last monument .
... SO One day he comes in & I could tell he needed some money bad.
... SO I said how much Fits $50.00... Man Fitz that's a lot . Oh He do any thing for me ..
SO I said didn't you used to work at a Brake repair place in Ft Worth . yes for about 3 years . OK
SO I NEED my rear brakes fixed. I'll put you in the rear of my parts store on concrete & I'll supply all the parts . YOU FIX EVERY THING EVEN NEEDED.
sure thing boss.
SO I told him I wanted a good job don't not put on anything he wanted I was sure i HAD IT ALL IN STOCK.
.. i'D GIVE HIM $50.00 & i'D BUY HIM A GOOD DINNER when he was done .
He was all over it like a Duck on a June Bug. i'D NEVER SEEN HIM WORK LIKE he did that day. He used new Jacks from the Show Room floor . We covered them with Red Rags.
I had 2 brake Drum Lathes Ammco 4000's ..SO He even knew how to use them .
My Employees were surprised .
He even fixed a leaking rear wheel seal . That I'd had fixed about 4 times & I thought it had a cracked housing .
... SO I GOT new seals both side. New rear Brake shoes .. Then he wanted new wheel cylinders . REALLY ... REALLY.. But I let him put them on I never thought it needed them .. We turned my drums .. 1 ton single wheels . He was done in about 2.5 hours .
He cleaned every thing up .
... & I had the best Brakes I'd every had on that truck . & They were good until I swapped it off for a worse truck.
.... We went & got him a big old meal & I gave him 60.00 bucks & my rear seal never leaked again.
.... When I ask him what he'd done .. He'd just say Fixed it.
.... HE'S PASSED AWAY now & I'm most likely the only one who misses him.

PaPitt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L
MAN i wish some one would respond to this ...
I don't think my 2000 Dodge D2500 brakes are worth a chit at this time.
.. I sure think they could sure be better.
But I drive 11 different SUV's & trucks each week. SO I'm a tough judge.
But I'd like my D2500 2000 YEAR NODEL TO STOP WITH more authority.