Brakes never stop!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ChamRam0130

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey there Ram Fam,
Im not new to the family, and am mechanically inclined. Ive been having an issue with my 06 4.7 1500. I had to replace the brakes and since i have, i have had nothing but problems. The rear brakes started howling. I was told to replace the brake hoses. So, I did. Everything was fine. Until, the front driver side started howling, and again, was told to replace the brake hoses. So, i did. 2 days and they still howl when they get hot. Thoughts?? Bad rotors? Pads?

Thanks everyone

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Hey there Ram Fam,
Im not new to the family, and am mechanically inclined. Ive been having an issue with my 06 4.7 1500. I had to replace the brakes and since i have, i have had nothing but problems. The rear brakes started howling. I was told to replace the brake hoses. So, I did. Everything was fine. Until, the front driver side started howling, and again, was told to replace the brake hoses. So, i did. 2 days and they still howl when they get hot. Thoughts?? Bad rotors? Pads?

Thanks everyone
What did you replace when you were working on the brakes?

Rotors, pads, calipers and hoses?

What brand of brake pads did you install?

If you reused the rotors, did you have them resurfaced?

Did you scuff the pads before installing them?

Can you take a video and post it to YouTube and then post the link here so I can hear the noise?

OP
OP
C

ChamRam0130

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What did you replace when you were working on the brakes?

Rotors, pads, calipers and hoses?

What brand of brake pads did you install?

If you reused the rotors, did you have them resurfaced?

Did you scuff the pads before installing them?

Can you take a video and post it to YouTube and then post the link here so I can hear the noise?
All brand new rotors and pads. I used Duralast gold. Did not replace the calipers though. Not yet anyway. I scuffed the pads before installing and i worked them in after installation. Then the howling started. It seemed like it was only when they got hot, but then, it seemed all the time. So, i replaced the brake hoses. All 4. I can take a video after I leave work today and post it later.

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
All brand new rotors and pads. I used Duralast gold. Did not replace the calipers though. Not yet anyway. I scuffed the pads before installing and i worked them in after installation. Then the howling started. It seemed like it was only when they got hot, but then, it seemed all the time. So, i replaced the brake hoses. All 4. I can take a video after I leave work today and post it later.
Do you smell the brakes getting hot while driving? Are they getting hot without alot of braking action? Does the truck pull to one side when you hit the brake pedal?

OP
OP
C

ChamRam0130

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Do you smell the brakes getting hot while driving? Are they getting hot without alot of braking action? Does the truck pull to one side when you hit the brake pedal?
No smell, and once in a while the truck seems to pull to the drivers. However, it may just be the road too. I live Jersey.

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
No smell, and once in a while the truck seems to pull to the drivers. However, it may just be the road too. I live Jersey.
Okay. You didn't hear this noise before the brake work?

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
No. The brakes were low and i had time, so i changed them. Now i have a headache.
Are you 100% certain that you have the correct rotors? I have seen some trucks come in with aftermarket rotors that didn't fit perfect and they rubbed the calipers.

Do you still hear the sound even without applying the brake pedal?

Can you isolate the sound from the front or the rear? Have you tried running the truck with the rear axle sitting on jack stands? How about removing the rear brake pads and rotors and drive with it on stands to see if you can hear the sound?

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sounds like you have a Caliper hanging up, If it pulls to the left your right caliper may be your problem, did you replace the flex hoses from the frame to the caliper, the hose may of collapse from the inside causing brakes to pull, did you use a C clamp to push the piston into the caliper, you may have damaged one of the piston seals.

OP
OP
C

ChamRam0130

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Are you 100% certain that you have the correct rotors? I have seen some trucks come in with aftermarket rotors that didn't fit perfect and they rubbed the calipers.

Do you still hear the sound even without applying the brake pedal?

Can you isolate the sound from the front or the rear? Have you tried running the truck with the rear axle sitting on jack stands? How about removing the rear brake pads and rotors and drive with it on stands to see if you can hear the sound?
They are not aftermarket. I made sure. The sound was in the rear. Thats why i had the rear hoses changed. Now the sound seems to be in the front. Which is why I changed the front hoses. However, the sound seems to still be in the front even with the hoses changed. I had the truck on a lift, and I could not replicate the sound. Then, driving the truck home after being on the lift, the sound happened. smh.

seanclark1503

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Turbo Diesel
I had problems with my 08 2500 when I had pads that were incompatible with the rotors. I now only buy all of my brake parts as a set together and try to get calipers already loaded with the pads. I have a few questions.. Did you use high temp. brake grease on the caliper pins ? What all of the brake hardware was (or wasn’t) replaced ? I’m assuming that the rotors were new ? What type of material are your pads made of ? I hope you have already gotten it all done but if not let me (us) know a few more details please. Thanks .