Brakes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jknappen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Need a good pad and rotor combo for a factory upgrade. Slotted drilled whatever. Not looking for a big brake kit or anything like that just better than stock

SilverStreak88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Eco Gasser
I would say stay away from drilled, I've seen horrific outcomes from those. Just get you a nice set of slotted and a set of Brake Best Select pads from O'Reilly, keep the receipt and box so when you're due for pads again you just carry them up there and get a new set for free.

daveray9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would say stay away from drilled, I've seen horrific outcomes from those. Just get you a nice set of slotted and a set of Brake Best Select pads from O'Reilly, keep the receipt and box so when you're due for pads again you just carry them up there and get a new set for free.

How do you get them for free?

SilverStreak88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Eco Gasser
How do you get them for free?
That's their house brand... they have a "lifetime" warranty. They said keep the receipt and box, when the old wear out put them in the box and bring them back. I was told this by 3 store managers at 3 different stores.

daveray9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That's their house brand... they have a "lifetime" warranty. They said keep the receipt and box, when the old wear out put them in the box and bring them back. I was told this by 3 store managers at 3 different stores.

You're SH*TTING me... I've NEVER heard of that before. thx for the tip lol

crazy_luck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just ordered some eLine slotted rotors in the gold zinc plating from R1Concepts along with some EBC brake pads for the front.

And as luck would have it, got an email from them today with a 13% discount on my next purchase and as of today, I definitely NEED rear brakes too, so I'll be ordering the same thing for the rears tonight.

Dubstep Shep

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Whatever you do, don't get drilled rotors...

Realistically, you shouldn't even bother with slotted rotors.

The only reason you need slotted rotors is if you're beating the everliving **** out of your brakes and you're running a track brake pad compound. Even then, it's debatable. Since I doubt you're doing either, you'll be MUCH better served by a flat face rotor.

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
You're SH*TTING me... I've NEVER heard of that before. thx for the tip lol

Seriously?

That's pretty much how I buy all my parts.

Always try to find parts with a Lifetime Warranty. That way, their free, next go-round.
Even my wheel alignments, go for lifetime warranty.

Costs a pittance more, but, int eh long run, well worth it.
This assumes you keep your cars longer than 3-5 yrs.

That;s what the parts people are betting on, btw. that you will either trade your car, or move from the area, before you need a replacement.

daveray9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Seriously?

That's pretty much how I buy all my parts.

Always try to find parts with a Lifetime Warranty. That way, their free, next go-round.
Even my wheel alignments, go for lifetime warranty.

Costs a pittance more, but, int eh long run, well worth it.
This assumes you keep your cars longer than 3-5 yrs.

That;s what the parts people are betting on, btw. that you will either trade your car, or move from the area, before you need a replacement.

Thanks for the tip. I enjoy driving my cars into the ground.

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 RAM Harvest New Holland Blue
Engine
Whatever you do, don't get drilled rotors...

Realistically, you shouldn't even bother with slotted rotors.

The only reason you need slotted rotors is if you're beating the everliving **** out of your brakes and you're running a track brake pad compound. Even then, it's debatable. Since I doubt you're doing either, you'll be MUCH better served by a flat face rotor.

Nothing wrong with drilled/slotted on a daily driver plus they help with cooling.

CLOUDL1GHT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins HO
I tow a lot soo thats how I justified drilled/slotted rotors. Sure enough they helped out immensely with stopping power and cooling like BlownGP said. Worth every penny IMO on a daily driver.

Dubstep Shep

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Nothing wrong with drilled/slotted on a daily driver plus they help with cooling.
Actually, there's a lot wrong.

For one, all those holes and slots are stress risers. As the rotor expands when it heats up, each one of those is a place for the rotor to warp and crack.

I've seen an incredible amount of drilled rotors where the cracks start at the holes.

And they don't help with cooling, at all. The cooling is done by the vanes inside the rotor. Get a good vane design if you want good cooling.
I tow a lot soo thats how I justified drilled/slotted rotors. Sure enough they helped out immensely with stopping power and cooling like BlownGP said. Worth every penny IMO on a daily driver.
Rotors don't change stopping torque... At all. The bite is determined by the pad. The clamping force is determined by the caliper and hydraulic system.

I have a 500+ rwhp race car and I run flat rotors on it because they hold up better to the abuse I put them through.

And let me tell you, this thing can STOP.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

GoldDot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Drilled/slotted rotors on these trucks do nothing but take money out of your wallets.

You want a quality rotor, find ones that are high carbon and cryo treated.

As far as pads check out the codes for friction ratings.

d6568fcd34ba14bc996ff69089f71298.jpg

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Actually, there's a lot wrong.

For one, all those holes and slots are stress risers. As the rotor expands when it heats up, each one of those is a place for the rotor to warp and crack.

I've seen an incredible amount of drilled rotors where the cracks start at the holes.

And they don't help with cooling, at all. The cooling is done by the vanes inside the rotor. Get a good vane design if you want good cooling.

Rotors don't change stopping torque... At all. The bite is determined by the pad. The clamping force is determined by the caliper and hydraulic system.

I have a 500+ rwhp race car and I run flat rotors on it because they hold up better to the abuse I put them through.

And let me tell you, this thing can STOP.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

They can crack if you auto x but not under normal use. I had them on my Regal. I have them on my wifes car. I have them on my truck. None are cracked.

I've had slotted and drilled rotors on my GTP for over 15years and 30-40K miles and none them are cracked and this many many street races.

So stop with the your nonsense..

Last edited:

THETANK

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
slotted/drilled for a daily driver is overkill, a good pad is all one needs. Not sure why anyone needs the brakes of a high end muscle car ie GT500's, Z06 Vettes, Z28's, ZL1's or high end Euro's ie Merc AMG's, Porsche 911's, well you get the drift I hope.

Dubstep Shep

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Drilled/slotted rotors on these trucks do nothing but take money out of your wallets.

You want a quality rotor, find ones that are high carbon and cryo treated.

As far as pads check out the codes for friction ratings.

d6568fcd34ba14bc996ff69089f71298.jpg

^Bingo

They can crack is auto x but not under normal use. I had them on my Regal. I have them on my wifes car. I have them on my truck. None are cracked.

I've had slotted and drilled rotors on my GTP for over 15years and 30-40K miles and none them are cracked and this many many street races.

So stop with the your nonsense..

Actually, they can crack under normal use. I've seen it happen.

And your experience does not count as an entire argument. https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/anecdotal

Just Google "drilled cracked rotor" and you'll get plenty of results on this issue.
https://www.google.com/search?q=drilled+cracked+rotors&espv=2&biw=1920&bih=947&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjNp7z29erLAhXrlIMKHahhBeoQ_AUIBygC

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Actually, they can crack under normal use. I've seen it happen.

And your experience does not count as an entire argument. https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/anecdotal

Just Google "drilled cracked rotor" and you'll get plenty of results on this issue.
https://www.google.com/search?q=drilled+cracked+rotors&espv=2&biw=1920&bih=947&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjNp7z29erLAhXrlIMKHahhBeoQ_AUIBygC

I never said they won't crack. But under normal use they will be fine I can google a bunch of pictures of broken dodge rams. So they much suck right? Without knowing the info with each of those pictures you can assume anything you want.

I'm glad you have seen it for your self. But I will take my experience of 15 years of using slotted/drilled rotors over your instance.

I guess you better tell your buddy to stop selling drilled rotors..lol

Last edited: