Brakes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 RAM Harvest New Holland Blue
Engine
slotted/drilled for a daily driver is overkill, a good pad is all one needs. Not sure why anyone needs the brakes of a high end muscle car ie GT500's, Z06 Vettes, Z28's, ZL1's or high end Euro's ie Merc AMG's, Porsche 911's, well you get the drift I hope.

First of all, drilled/slotted rotors are not much more than solid rotors. And I never stated they will stop better than solid rotors.

Second with those cars you listed, most of them have two piece and/or ceramic rotors. Which ya would be overkill for our trucks.

and FYI the GT500 brakes are 4 piston brembo's with the 14" blank rotors.

Dubstep Shep

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I never said they won't crack. But under normal use they will be fine I can google a bunch of pictures of broken dodge rams. So they much suck right? Without knowing the info with each of those pictures you can assume anything you want.

"Normal use" as defined by what?

We're talking about towing here. Next to actual racing, that's about the hardest thing you can do to brakes.

I'm glad you have seen it for your self. But I will take my experience of 15 years of using slotted/drilled rotors over your instance.

Cool. You can keep your individual experience and I'll stick to the evidence, data, and engineering that the top brake companies in the world use, like AP Racing.

I guess you better tell your buddy to stop selling drilled rotors..lol

My buddy...?

First of all, drilled/slotted rotors are not much more than solid rotors. And I never stated they will stop better than solid rotors.

As far as cost? Depends on the rotor brand. I bought the rotors for my Vette for about $90 each. That was over $50 cheaper than the slotted or drilled versions.

Second with those cars you listed, most of them have two piece and/or ceramic rotors. Which ya would be overkill for our trucks.

Depends on which year of car you're talking about. The C6 Z06 (What I have) comes with drilled rotors that are NOTORIOUS for cracking. The newer Z06 comes with Carbon Ceramic I believe.

Here's some good reading for you:
http://automotivethinker.com/brakes-2/rotors-blank-vs-cross-drilled-vs-slotted-and-warping/
http://ebcbrakes.com/articles/dangerous-cross-drilled-rotors/
http://www.essexparts.com/ap-racing-j-hook-rings-29932lh

From the Essex link:
"When you cut a slot or drill a hole in a disc you impact heat transfer. The area around the slot or hole acts as a cool spot when the disc heats up, which is not ideal. Ideally, heat is distributed uniformly around the disc so it can be hit with the cooling air that is pumping through the disc, radiate outwards away from the disc, etc. Cool spots create stress risers and increase the likelihood of the disc cracking. They also cause the face of the disc to distort unevenly, leading to uneven pad deposits, vibration, and judder.
The OEM discs avoid this problem by simply leaving the face blank. While the risk for NVH goes down, so does the pad bite and feel of the disc through the brake pedal. Competitive aftermarket offerings typically have straight slots, which tend to leave cool spots across the disc face between the slots."

Last edited:

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
"Normal use" as defined by what?

We're talking about towing here. Next to actual racing, that's about the hardest thing you can do to brakes.

I never was talking about towing, neither was the OP

Cool. You can keep your individual experience and I'll stick to the evidence, data, and engineering that the top brake companies in the world use, like AP Racing.

Oh so, Baer, Willwood, Brembo's all make crappy rotors right?
And you have'net posted any evidence yet?

My buddy...?
Come on, think real hard. lol

As far as cost? Depends on the rotor brand. I bought the rotors for my Vette for about $90 each. That was over $50 cheaper than the slotted or drilled versions.
Really $50??? That's a lot more money to you? lol

Depends on which year of car you're talking about. The C6 Z06 (What I have) comes with drilled rotors that are NOTORIOUS for cracking. The newer Z06 comes with Carbon Ceramic I believe.

Well no **** Sherlock. Wasn't just talking about your precious Z06
and I've no Vette expert but you would be the first to run soild rotors on a C6 Z06. They make solid rotors?

[QUOTEDubstep Shep;1263894]Here's some good reading for you:
Rotors: Blank vs Cross Drilled vs Slotted and Warping | Automotive Thinker - Discussing the finer points of automobiles
Dangerous cross drilled rotors - EBC Brakes
AP Racing J Hook Competition Disc Replacment Ring (299x32mm)- Left Hand

From the Essex link:
"When you cut a slot or drill a hole in a disc you impact heat transfer. The area around the slot or hole acts as a cool spot when the disc heats up, which is not ideal. Ideally, heat is distributed uniformly around the disc so it can be hit with the cooling air that is pumping through the disc, radiate outwards away from the disc, etc. Cool spots create stress risers and increase the likelihood of the disc cracking. They also cause the face of the disc to distort unevenly, leading to uneven pad deposits, vibration, and judder.
The OEM discs avoid this problem by simply leaving the face blank. While the risk for NVH goes down, so does the pad bite and feel of the disc through the brake pedal. Competitive aftermarket offerings typically have straight slots, which tend to leave cool spots across the disc face between the slots."[/QUOTE]

and I've read a lot of those articles over the years. Again none relate to daily driving on drilled/slotted rotors.

What you got next?

JaredRAM2015

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Can I throw in an Oreilly brake pad warranty disclaimer here?

I worked for them for 3 years while I was in College: 2011 - 2014
Easiest job ever since I was already a car guy!

Anyway, I believe that the lifetime warranty is actually against "manufacturer defects" and not wear. NOW, WITH THAT BEING SAID, most of the time managers push brake sales (big ticket item if you can sell rotors, brake cleaner, brake fluid for a bleed, etc...) and will tell customers to bring them back when they are worn down.

I just wanted to float that out there in case someone ever goes to the counter and gets denied.

I don't recall ever seeing a paper/ink explanation of that warranty, just what management told us.

Dubstep Shep

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I never was talking about towing, neither was the OP

We're talking about trucks, right? Then we're talking about brake systems designed for towing.

Oh so, Baer, Willwood, Brembo's all make crappy rotors right?
And you have'net posted any evidence yet?

Willwood isn't very good anyways. But go look at the Baer and Brembo rotors on their top end race cars. You won't see drilled rotors.

And you asking for evidence is hypocritical at this point. I've posted multiple articles and links to support my point. You've got anecdotal claims and ZERO citations.

Come on, think real hard. lol

Yea, not ringing a bell here...

Really $50??? That's a lot more money to you? lol

Per rotor, yea. That's $200 right there. Especially when it's something like a wear item.

Well no **** Sherlock. Wasn't just talking about your precious Z06
and I've no Vette expert but you would be the first to run soild rotors on a C6 Z06. They make solid rotors?

Someone is getting a little butt hurt lol.

I'm FAR from the first. They're actually a very common mod for these cars because, as I said, the factory drilled rotors crack all the time.

And just to clarify, solid doesn't mean actually 100% solid. They still have internal vanes, which is how the cooling is done. The rotor face is solid.

and I've read a lot of those articles over the years. Again none relate to daily driving on drilled/slotted rotors.

What you got next?

I can prove you wrong all day lol. You're the one making logical fallacies and using a condescending tone. If you can come up with some evidence, facts, or sound logic, then maybe we'll have a intellectual discussion on our hands.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
We're talking about trucks, right? Then we're talking about brake systems designed for towing.

And does buying a truck mean everyone tows with it? You have problems with your brakes when towing. You might be towing too much. But they have these things called trailer brakes. WOW

Willwood isn't very good anyways. But go look at the Baer and Brembo rotors on their top end race cars. You won't see drilled rotors.

And you asking for evidence is hypocritical at this point. I've posted multiple articles and links to support my point. You've got anecdotal claims and ZERO citations.

Willwood sucks. Ok any proof? That's I don't belive anything you say.

and Brembo makes some 10K GT-R brake kit and guess what? It used drilled rotors. Must be pretty sucky huh?

Yea, not ringing a bell here...
I will give you a hint. He lives in Houston also.

Per rotor, yea. That's $200 right there. Especially when it's something like a wear item.

Now you sound like a cheap ass. Dude you have a Z06.lol

Someone is getting a little butt hurt lol.

I'm FAR from the first. They're actually a very common mod for these cars because, as I said, the factory drilled rotors crack all the time.

And just to clarify, solid doesn't mean actually 100% solid. They still have internal vanes, which is how the cooling is done. The rotor face is solid.

I'm not sure what I would be butt hurt about, but whatever.
I will have to do some research into the solid Z06 rotors

and dude really?? You think I don't understand that pretty much 100% of modern front rotors are vented as the internal vanes do the cooling.

I can prove you wrong all day lol. You're the one making logical fallacies and using a condescending tone. If you can come up with some evidence, facts, or sound logic, then maybe we'll have a intellectual discussion on our hands.

See the that's the thing. You haven't proved me wrong about anything. Just opinions and articles on how cheap drilled/slotted rotors shouldn't be used for auto x'ing. Which I agree on but nothing to do with OP's post.

And you think I'm being condescending?? hahaha. I could be and/or belligerent but this forum has a bunch of **** mods so I'm playing nice because I do like it here. Plus I don't want to lose my post count..hahah

P.S. Love ya man (no ****):):):)

CLOUDL1GHT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins HO
well this became interesting real quick lol. But to answer OP's question, I got the Powerstop towing kit or whatever with drilled/slotted rotors and upgraded pads. Works really well

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
Dubstep SHep/ BlownGP
stop arguing.
it's making the kids cry.

Mommy's & Daddy's are supposed to love one another.

Play nice.

If you want to get upset about something, be upset that I am so much better looking than either one of you.

Dubstep Shep

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
And does buying a truck mean everyone tows with it? You have problems with your brakes when towing. You might be towing too much. But they have these things called trailer brakes. WOW

Just because people don't tow doesn't mean their brake system isn't designed for it.

Point being, the OEM flat rotors are pretty damn stout as it is. If you don't have enough brake "bite" for your personal taste, then you should get different pads.

Willwood sucks. Ok any proof? That's I don't belive anything you say.

and Brembo makes some 10K GT-R brake kit and guess what? It used drilled rotors. Must be pretty sucky huh?

Ever see a Wilwood setup on an endurance race car? I haven't. Everything about their big brake kits screams low quality. Just sit one next to a Brembo, Baer, or better yet an AP Racing kit and you'll see the differences.

I will give you a hint. He lives in Houston also.

Matt? He runs a business lol. A smart businessman sells what people buy.

Now you sound like a cheap ass. Dude you have a Z06.lol

I have a Z06 because I'm a cheap ass lol. I pay $500 a month in rent and bills and spend $200-$300 on food per month so I can meet my savings goals and still have money left over for car parts. You can't insult me by saying I'm cheap hahaha, that's a compliment to me. I recognize value, but I also know most people overpay for things, especially on Vette parts.

I'm not sure what I would be butt hurt about, but whatever.
I will have to do some research into the solid Z06 rotors

These are the rotors I have on my car: https://www.knsbrakes.com/c/car-series/176_2010+Chevrolet+Corvette+Z06+%26+Grand+Sport+Models/577_KNS+4K+Brake+Rotor+-+Single+Rotor

Essentially those rotors are identical to these, but without the slots:
https://www.knsbrakes.com/c/car-series/176_2010+Chevrolet+Corvette+Z06+%26+Grand+Sport+Models/577_KNS+4K+Brake+Rotor+-+Single+Rotor

And I stand corrected. It looks like it's a $100 per rotor difference for a few slots. That's $400 for a set of rotors.

and dude really?? You think I don't understand that pretty much 100% of modern front rotors are vented as the internal vanes do the cooling.

That comment was more or less directed at others reading this exchange, not you.

See the that's the thing. You haven't proved me wrong about anything. Just opinions and articles on how cheap drilled/slotted rotors shouldn't be used for auto x'ing. Which I agree on but nothing to do with OP's post.

They shouldn't be used period.
They offer no distinct advantage.
There's no additional cooling.
They offer no substantial improvement in bite with street brake pads, especially when compared to slotted rotors.
They're more expensive.
They break easier.
And the list goes on...

And you think I'm being condescending?? hahaha. I could be and/or belligerent but this forum has a bunch of **** mods so I'm playing nice because I do like it here. Plus I don't want to lose my post count..hahah

P.S. Love ya man (no ****):):):)

Lol that comment may have been misdirected on my part.

Regardless, I do enjoy these types of conversations. You can't learn anything new if you only ever talk with people that hold the same viewpoints.

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just because people don't tow doesn't mean their brake system isn't designed for it.

Point being, the OEM flat rotors are pretty damn stout as it is. If you don't have enough brake "bite" for your personal taste, then you should get different pads.

Yes pads will make more a difference than rotors but having drilled/slotted rotors doesn't mean you can't tow.

Ever see a Wilwood setup on an endurance race car? I haven't. Everything about their big brake kits screams low quality. Just sit one next to a Brembo, Baer, or better yet an AP Racing kit and you'll see the differences.

Well, see that's a opinion. Not saying anything bad about the other brands, but stating Wilwood sucks by looking at them is not a very much of a case.

Matt? He runs a business lol. A smart businessman sells what people buy.

So, what your saying is drilled/slotted rotors sell well. Umm I guess all your post is just one guys opinion. Because it seems cracked rotors is not that big of a problem.

I have a Z06 because I'm a cheap ass lol. I pay $500 a month in rent and bills and spend $200-$300 on food per month so I can meet my savings goals and still have money left over for car parts. You can't insult me by saying I'm cheap hahaha, that's a compliment to me. I recognize value, but I also know most people overpay for things, especially on Vette parts.

I said you sound like one with that comment. Didn't say you are one. READ!!!!
Vette parts over priced to begin with so I guess saving $200 means something when owning a Vette

These are the rotors I have on my car: https://www.knsbrakes.com/c/car-series/176_2010+Chevrolet+Corvette+Z06+%26+Grand+Sport+Models/577_KNS+4K+Brake+Rotor+-+Single+Rotor

Essentially those rotors are identical to these, but without the slots:
https://www.knsbrakes.com/c/car-series/176_2010+Chevrolet+Corvette+Z06+%26+Grand+Sport+Models/577_KNS+4K+Brake+Rotor+-+Single+Rotor

And I stand corrected. It looks like it's a $100 per rotor difference for a few slots. That's $400 for a set of rotors.

Looks like cool vane design, but you can buy drilled Z06 rotors for $15 on rockauto right. Plus there's many under $100..:)

That comment was more or less directed at others reading this exchange, not you.

Well you quoted me, maybe you should have stated that in your first post?lol

They shouldn't be used period.
Because you said right? Again your opinion.

They offer no distinct advantage.
Then why do manufacturers keep putting them on cars?

I'm not sure if there's any data on this, but have the holes for air to pass through makes it possible. I doubt 100* or something but to me it would do something.
They offer no substantial improvement in bite with street brake pads, especially when compared to slotted rotors.
No one ever claimed that. I understand pad compound designates that. But slots to keep the pads clean.
They're more expensive.
Not always. Look at those Z06 rotors

They break easier.
That's a vague statement. lol Do you mean BRAKE? lol

Lol that comment may have been misdirected on my part.

Regardless, I do enjoy these types of conversations. You can't learn anything new if you only ever talk with people that hold the same viewpoints.

Same can be said for you. I would have a easier time agreeing with if I haven't ran drilled/slotted rotors for over 15 years with no problem.

You should now can be learned on the internet.

butterscotch71

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Limited Longhorn
Engine

Dubstep Shep

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Yes pads will make more a difference than rotors but having drilled/slotted rotors doesn't mean you can't tow.

It means you're at a greater risk for cracking your rotor.

Well, see that's a opinion. Not saying anything bad about the other brands, but stating Wilwood sucks by looking at them is not a very much of a case.

I'm stating Wilwood sucks because they don't design good brakes. There's a lot of technical reasons why that's the case, and most of them relate to complex, dynamic loading with thermal transitions added in. Not exactly something that's easy to have a conversation about on an internet forum... I can try to explain some of it if you're really interested, but it's probably a subject for another thread.

Alternatively, you can just look at what the pros use. None of them that I've ever seen use Wilwood.

So, what your saying is drilled/slotted rotors sell well. Umm I guess all your post is just one guys opinion. Because it seems cracked rotors is not that big of a problem.

Sure, they sell well because people mistakenly think they're some sort of huge improvement.

I said you sound like one with that comment. Didn't say you are one. READ!!!!
Vette parts over priced to begin with so I guess saving $200 means something when owning a Vette

I AM a cheap ass lol. If there's a better value out there, I'd rather have that.

Indeed they are, at least for some stuff. The "Vette Tax" as it's called. Some of the stuff though, like engine parts, are SUPER cheap because it's the LS motor. Like an entire cam swap can be done for like $800 with new springs, pushrods, etc.

Looks like cool vane design, but you can buy drilled Z06 rotors for $15 on rockauto right. Plus there's many under $100..:)

Yea, the same rotors that are prone to cracking all the time... It's a well documented issue on the Corvette forums. People HATE the OEM rotors.

Additionally, they have curved vanes, but the same rotor is used on the left as on the right. So consequently one is spinning the correct way and the other is spinning the wrong way, thus reducing the cooling on one side.

And my comparison was based on two rotors that are identical besides the slots. Comparing a high performance rotor with some crappy OEM ripoff isn't exactly apples to apples...

Well you quoted me, maybe you should have stated that in your first post?lol

Sorry, I didn't think you'd complain about me making myself clear on something lol...

Because you said right? Again your opinion.

Not because I said so lol. I gave plenty of reasons, i.e. things that are not my opinion and can be supported by facts.

"They offer no distinct advantage.
They're more expensive.
They break easier."

I believe I have made a strong case with supporting evidence for EACH of these points.

Then why do manufacturers keep putting them on cars?

Because people mistakenly think that they're better... Exactly as I said above.

I'm not sure if there's any data on this, but have the holes for air to pass through makes it possible. I doubt 100* or something but to me it would do something.

Yes and no.

As you know, the air from brake ducts goes on the inside of the rotor and out through the vanes. The spinning of the rotor contributes to that with the centrifugal force, same as a turbo. Having an exit hole perpendicular to the flow isn't going to effect it very much, especially as most of those holes are fairly small and quickly become caked up with brake dust.

The problem is that these holes tend to be cooled slightly faster by the air moving through the vanes because they have more exposed surface area. This creates cool spots and is part of the reason drilled rotors are prone to cracking. It's explained in that Essex article I posted.

No one ever claimed that. I understand pad compound designates that. But slots to keep the pads clean.

Keep the pads clean? From what exactly?

As I stated, unless you're using a SERIOUS race brake pad compound, you'll never create enough dust to cause any issues. People use semi race compounds with flat rotors all the time and don't have any issues with the dust.

Way back when brake pads produced a ton of gas several racing series started using drilled rotors to evacuate said gas. This is when you see drilled rotors in F1. Nowadays, that gas is a non issue, so evacuating it away from the brake rotor face is also a non issue, thus eliminating the needs and benefits of a drilled rotor.

Not always. Look at those Z06 rotors

See my point above.... Those rotors are TERRIBLE and not comparable to the rotors I linked. If you want to make a meaningful comparison, fine two rotors that are otherwise identical besides the drills or slots. I've yet to see a set where the drilled and/or slotted rotors are cheaper. I'd love to see you dig one up. I already posted evidence to support my statement.

That's a vague statement. lol Do you mean BRAKE? lol

No, I mean BREAK, as in to smash, split, or divide into parts violently; reduce to pieces or fragments:

Drilled rotors will always break easier than a solid rotor with all other things being constant. Period. There are no exceptions to this. This is science, not opinion. Those holes are stress risers, both for the physical force and for the thermal expansion and loading.

Same can be said for you. I would have a easier time agreeing with if I haven't ran drilled/slotted rotors for over 15 years with no problem.

You should now can be learned on the internet.

Again, using your personal experience as proof of an argument of a trend is an anecdotal logical fallacy. You're using "a personal experience or an isolated example instead of a sound argument or compelling evidence."

https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/anecdotal

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
any reason not to use wagner thermo quite pads? tks all

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
any reason not to use wagner thermo quite pads? tks all

Nope, No reason that I can think of.

I am thinking of EBC next pad change ( Maybe powerstop, jury is still out.)
but, honestly, probably just wasting away money.

though I am sure I will feel good about it.

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It means you're at a greater risk for cracking your rotor.

If you say so, but there's no info to back that claim up.

I'm stating Wilwood sucks because they don't design good brakes. There's a lot of technical reasons why that's the case, and most of them relate to complex, dynamic loading with thermal transitions added in. Not exactly something that's easy to have a conversation about on an internet forum... I can try to explain some of it if you're really interested, but it's probably a subject for another thread.

Alternatively, you can just look at what the pros use. None of them that I've ever seen use Wilwood.

When it comes to the pro's, maybe so. I will admit I don't know but it's kinda obvious none of us are pro's. So using them on the street won't be a problem. Just sounds personal to me.

Sure, they sell well because people mistakenly think they're some sort of huge improvement.

I guess the cracking isssue it not as bad as you think?

I AM a cheap ass lol. If there's a better value out there, I'd rather have that.

Indeed they are, at least for some stuff. The "Vette Tax" as it's called. Some of the stuff though, like engine parts, are SUPER cheap because it's the LS motor. Like an entire cam swap can be done for like $800 with new springs, pushrods, etc.

Wasn't talking internal engine. That's a given. Yes a cam swap is just like any F-body or GTO etc, but headers, exhaust, suspension part prices suck.

Yea, the same rotors that are prone to cracking all the time... It's a well documented issue on the Corvette forums. People HATE the OEM rotors.

Additionally, they have curved vanes, but the same rotor is used on the left as on the right. So consequently one is spinning the correct way and the other is spinning the wrong way, thus reducing the cooling on one side.

And my comparison was based on two rotors that are identical besides the slots. Comparing a high performance rotor with some crappy OEM ripoff isn't exactly apples to apples...

I was just stating that there's many drilled rotors for your Z06 that cost less than the blank ones you have. Since you said drilled rotors cost more than blank ones.
Not comparing quality which other that cool vane design a rotor material is not any different from one another.

Sorry, I didn't think you'd complain about me making myself clear on something lol...

Thanks I guess.hahaha

Not because I said so lol. I gave plenty of reasons, i.e. things that are not my opinion and can be supported by facts.

"They offer no distinct advantage.
They're more expensive.
They break easier."

I believe I have made a strong case with supporting evidence for EACH of these points.

Well you have kept saying them over and over but with nothing concrete to back them up.

I can agree they your not going to be stopping like lambo with new drilled/slotted rotors or pad bite. haha but the rest is just your opinion to me. Sorry

Agree to disagree?

Because people mistakenly think that they're better... Exactly as I said above.

Well when I buy my Ferrari I'm going to tell to slap some blank rotors on it or I'm not buying it. haha

Yes and no.

As you know, the air from brake ducts goes on the inside of the rotor and out through the vanes. The spinning of the rotor contributes to that with the centrifugal force, same as a turbo. Having an exit hole perpendicular to the flow isn't going to effect it very much, especially as most of those holes are fairly small and quickly become caked up with brake dust.

The problem is that these holes tend to be cooled slightly faster by the air moving through the vanes because they have more exposed surface area. This creates cool spots and is part of the reason drilled rotors are prone to cracking. It's explained in that Essex article I posted.

Again I can see that happening on a track but daily driving I don't the rotors ever getting hot enough for that to happen.

Keep the pads clean? From what exactly?

As I stated, unless you're using a SERIOUS race brake pad compound, you'll never create enough dust to cause any issues. People use semi race compounds with flat rotors all the time and don't have any issues with the dust.

Way back when brake pads produced a ton of gas several racing series started using drilled rotors to evacuate said gas. This is when you see drilled rotors in F1. Nowadays, that gas is a non issue, so evacuating it away from the brake rotor face is also a non issue, thus eliminating the needs and benefits of a drilled rotor.

Yeah, I've read that's why the drilled rotors was invented and not pads don't have the gas pressure problem anymore.

As far as slots cleaning the pads. I meant keeps them fresh from glazing and limits. Just what I read on a auto x forum a long time ago.

See my point above.... Those rotors are TERRIBLE and not comparable to the rotors I linked. If you want to make a meaningful comparison, fine two rotors that are otherwise identical besides the drills or slots. I've yet to see a set where the drilled and/or slotted rotors are cheaper. I'd love to see you dig one up. I already posted evidence to support my statement.
Ok

CENTRIC 12562102 $51.79
CENTRIC 12662102SL StopTech Sport; Slotted $74.79

$40 more for the front going to hurt ya? Come on. My point is there not THAT more expensive. Then you have cheaper options if you want drilled rotors.

QUALIS 41234 $13.30
I can't even believe these rotors are so cheap. Wish I had a Z06..

No, I mean BREAK, as in to smash, split, or divide into parts violently; reduce to pieces or fragments:

Drilled rotors will always break easier than a solid rotor with all other things being constant. Period. There are no exceptions to this. This is science, not opinion. Those holes are stress risers, both for the physical force and for the thermal expansion and loading.

I was just being a smart ass. lol

Again though I don't disagree drilled rotors won't crack. Never said they won't but under normal driving it would rare for it to happen.

Again, using your personal experience as proof of an argument of a trend is an anecdotal logical fallacy. You're using "a personal experience or an isolated example instead of a sound argument or compelling evidence."

https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/anecdotal

So how is 15+ years of having drilled/slotted rotors and never having one crack not compelling evidence?

Last edited:

Dubstep Shep

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I'm simply going to end this with saying it's very hypocritical that I've linked multiple articles written by people that have been designing, testing, and manufacturing brakes for decades and you think it isn't evidence, yet your 15 years of personal experience is absolutely true.

You clearly have no respect for logic and reason in an argument. I'm out.

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm simply going to end this with saying it's very hypocritical that I've linked multiple articles written by people that have been designing, testing, and manufacturing brakes for decades and you think it isn't evidence, yet your 15 years of personal experience is absolutely true.

You clearly have no respect for logic and reason in an argument. I'm out.

Yes the article says they can crack and I agree they can, but who knows if that rotor in that particular case was a abused. In normal driving the chance of them cracking is very unlikely.

You can post all the articles you want. I have years of non cracked rotors. Should I write a article too?

TerraNewf

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
This post started out interesting but it turned into a ******* match, very boring indeed.