Brand new RAM died in the middle of the road!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
So Eco, you get YOUR windshield tinted, you aren't aware of the significant risks to your electrical system doing this nor does the shop warn you, you ignore the fact that it is illegal in every single state and those of us that point those issues out are the problem. I see said the blind man. Carry on camping there spud.

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
OK, just got my truck back. The dealership said that a connecter had come loose, causing the battery to die. The charged it up, check all connecters for corrosion, etc.., and I just drove it home, no issues.

I don't really believe it was a loose connector, but I'll go with it. Got it back, and it seems to be fine.

Oh, and thanks to those who thought they should tell me how I should (or shouldn't!) tint MY windshield!

Seriously though, thanks for all the great input.

One last thing, I asked the service writer about the orange pull cord not working - he said that if the battery is completely dead, it won't work. Don't bite my head off - I'm just telling you what he told me!!!! Makes no sense to me that it would not work when you need it the most.
You need a service writer that has a brain. I told you in Canada tint is illegal. That's beside the point.
I have watched a couple videos , one did not know how to release it. you have to push the lock in, and that is what my book says. Don't matter about battery or not. I have not tried it , but tow truck drivers should know this.

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
One last thing, I asked the service writer about the orange pull cord not working - he said that if the battery is completely dead it won't work.
Thats why it's there to put the transmission in neutral because of a dead battery, make sure you slide the release latch then pull the orange cord PERIOD!!! the key out of your fob works great for this.

OP
OP
EcoDieselDog

EcoDieselDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Here is a video of someone pulling out the orange pull cord WITHOUT using a release tab.

This is exactly what happened to me. I know it's not possible, because that's not what the manual says, but....

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
"One last thing, I asked the service writer about the orange pull cord not working - he said that if the battery is completely dead, it won't work. Don't bite my head off - I'm just telling you what he told me!!!! Makes no sense to me that it would not work when you need it the most."
Well, he's a service writer and not a technician. He's also a service writer in need of some more training.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build Date: 3 June 2018. Now at 90752 miles.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
I have never tried using mine, but my bet is, if you pull the tab out without releasing the lock, it doesn't actually go into neutral. Be interested to know if anyone has tried that.

OP
OP
EcoDieselDog

EcoDieselDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Looking closely at the video, it doesn't look like there is a lock. I didn't think there was one on mine, but I have not gone back in to double check. Maybe this is new for 2023?

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Looking closely at the video, it doesn't look like there is a lock. I didn't think there was one on mine, but I have not gone back in to double check. Maybe this is new for 2023?
Instructions in 2021 Ram 2500 Owners Manual. I bet if you check yours it says the same thing.

If you click on the picture it will get bigger so it is easier to read.

1684938966698.png

OP
OP
EcoDieselDog

EcoDieselDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I will check my manual. When it says "lock" I would have to think that means you can't pull the lever out without releasing it. I was able to, as was the guy in the video. Not to mention the tow truck driver that came to pick up the truck.

I do appreciate your help, and will check my manual this evening.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Was curious so I looked up the 2023 1500, non-classic owners manual. No mention of the lock in that one so it looks like they may have changed it for at least that model in 2023.

• Manual Park Release

Manual Park Release​

WARNING:

Always secure your vehicle by fully applying the parking brakebefore activating the Manual Park Release. In addition, you shouldbe seated in the driver’s seat with your foot firmly on the brakepedal when activating the Manual Park Release. Activating the ManualPark Release will allow your vehicle to roll away if it is not securedby the parking brake, or by proper connection to a tow vehicle. Activatingthe Manual Park Release on an unsecured vehicle could lead to seriousinjury or death for those in or around the vehicle.
In order to move the vehicle in cases where the transmissionwill not shift out of PARK (P) (such as a depleted battery), a ManualPark Release is available.
Follow these steps to activate the Manual Park Release:
  1. Apply firm pressure tothe brake pedal while seated in the driver’s seat.
  2. Apply the parking brake if possible.
  3. Using a small screwdriver or similar tool, open the ManualPark Release cover, which is located to the lower left of the steeringcolumn.
    A0715000059US.png
    Manual Park Release Access Cover

4. Behind the Manual Park Release access cover is the orange tether strap. Pull the tether strap out as far as it will go, then release it. The tether and lever will remain outside of the trim panel and the transmission should now be in NEUTRAL, allowing the vehicle to be moved.
    A0715000061US.png
    Manual Park Release Tether
To Reset The Manual Park Release:
  1. Apply firm pressure to the brake pedal while seated in the driver’s seat.
  2. Pull the tether strap out again, then release it.
  3. Allow the tether to retract with the lever back to its original position.
    A0715000060US.png
    Manual Park Release Tether
  4. Verify the transmission is in PARK.
  5. Confirm that the tether has retracted fully and reinstall the access cover. If the access cover cannot be reinstalled, repeat steps 1 through 4.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Leaning on the clause in most state laws that say, "...Except for law enforcement in the performance of their official duties".
My, point is, cops move at a pretty good speed, when needed at night with tinted windshields.

Scottly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HO 6.7 Cummins
My, point is, cops move at a pretty good speed, when needed at night with tinted windshields.
I get it....I couldn't move at all because my tired eyes don't like nights anymore. When i was younger and the age of some of our deputies, no problem.

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thank you very much! Now I only have to figure out why it didn't work! I'm thinking maybe it's because I didn't have the brake depressed.
When you pull on the strap you are pulling on a cable that attaches to the transmission and disengages the parking pawl. If the vehicle was on a severe incline that put undue pressure on the parking pawl, it may be difficult to disengage.

There is also a coupler in the cable, I believe, that may have come loose or disengaged. If this were the case the cable would not disengage the parking pawl in the transmission.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build Date: 3 June 2018. Now at 90798 miles.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I get it....I couldn't move at all because my tired eyes don't like nights anymore. When i was younger and the age of some of our deputies, no problem.
I get that, I’m sure we’ll all reach that point, eventually.

armallard

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 SLT CC 4X4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Most tint places lay a cloth mat down on the dash and any side windows they do.