Brand new Truck - should it get waxed?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Thmw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi e-torque
Just took delivery of a new Ram 1500 Limited and got to thinking about the finish - should i wax it right away or is that done at the factory? What else should i do while it is new? Should i put anything on the factory bed cover? Wheels?IMG_1959.jpg

Perferd

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Nice...

I'm waiting for mine to be built and already have plans on the paint. I am having the paint enhanced then a 1 year ceramic wax put on. I will maintain it for the year then have a 5-7 year ceramic put on it after a full correction.

My detailer said not to do a full correction at first to keep the clear coat as much as possible then coat it.

RBJRBJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L V8 MDS VVT eTorque Engine
Vehicle does not arrive at dealership with wax on the exterior however, your dealer may wax and detail vehicle before you take delivery. Same for the tri-fold bed cover. Mopar recommends a vinyl, rubber, leather cleaner .... any car wash cleaner will do. And Mopar recommends you coat the tonneau with a protectant but I could not find the Mopar protectant anywhere. However, you can purchase at CARiD and other online stores PJ1 see below to provide protection to the tonneau cover from rain, snow, sun etc.

16 oz. Pump Re-new and Pro-Tect (23-16) by PJ1®. Vinyl, Rubber, Leather, Wood and Polymer Surface Treatment Super Silicone Moisturizing formula renews all plastic, rubber, vinyl, wood and leather...

OP
OP
Thmw

Thmw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi e-torque
The wrap and ceramic coating get a lot of comments so it must be the way to go. Would you wrap some areas and ceramic coat other areas or go all in on one or the other? I appreciate any feedback on the best approach.

ScLeCo

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Supercharged 426
The wrap and ceramic coating get a lot of comments so it must be the way to go. Would you wrap some areas and ceramic coat other areas or go all in on one or the other? I appreciate any feedback on the best approach.
Wrap the whole truck and then ceramic coat the wrap.

Quick_Shifter

IG: @ak_trucks_pa
Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
Definitely ceramic coat your wheels while they are new. Depending on where you live I would do a good paint sealant like Adam’s polish while you research your options

AdamsPolishes

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
A shiny one
I vote for Ceramic Coating too, best protection & makes taking care of your truck 10 times easier.

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Agreed with ceramic coating as well. I did it to my Charger first thing. I’m debating doing it on my ram after a paint correction. My wife’s Pacifica is a lease, so I just wax it.

LeeD

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If it was mine I’d clay it and then ceramic coat it with something like Adams multi year coating.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Have your truck paint corrected and have a high-quality ceramic coating installed. Before you have it coated I would recommend you have PPF installed on the complete front clip including the hood and the backs of the rearview mirrors. Have the paint correction done by a professional detailer and then have them install the coating. They should also coat the wheels. All vehicles, new or not, need to have the paint corrected before a ceramic coating or PPF is installed. If you like you can PM me for recommendations on specific products and a great professional detailer in your area.
Jay