Break-in locked truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

A11ie6

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey y’all I’m new here so hope it’s in the right spot. We have a 2014 Ram 1500 and today around 10:30am it was broken into. Doors were locked, no broken windows or damaged doors. They only stole some headphones and tore through it papers everywhere. Alarm didn’t go off and we are curious if anyone knows how they could’ve gotten in. Dealer was confused as well.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
curious, do you have a smart FOB or passive FOB

were you at a Mall or store, or at home ?

fireflymedic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
I watched a YouTube video on some criminals could pick up the signal of a smart key (push button start) if it was close to your front door or any exterior wall i suppose. And it boosted or cloned the signal so they could unlock and even crank and drive it. Car in video was not a ram truck but a charger.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Given there is no damage and the type of crime, You didn't lock the doors. It happens

Last edited:

Princeton_Man

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm one of those guys who even locks my vehicles in my own driveway. I also tend to keep my keys on me at all times. I've found my Ram unlocked quite a few times in the driveway. I've also unintentionally activated the remote start and set off the panic alarm while working around the house quite often. These Ram Fobikeys or whatever they call them are without a doubt the worst design of any I've ever used. I try to be extra careful in parking lots. I tend to keep the fob in my hand until out of range before stuffing it in pocket. So far, I've never found it unlocked anywhere except at home.

Rayzaa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I watched a YouTube video on some criminals could pick up the signal of a smart key (push button start) if it was close to your front door or any exterior wall i suppose. And it boosted or cloned the signal so they could unlock and even crank and drive it. Car in video was not a ram truck but a charger.
Seen a video on that and why i have mine in a Faraday pouch to block those signals.

OP
OP
A

A11ie6

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
curious, do you have a smart FOB or passive FOB

were you at a Mall or store, or at home ?
We live in an apartment complex it was in the parking lot. We live in the back of the building from the parking lot where it was at

OP
OP
A

A11ie6

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I expect that either it wasn’t locked, even though you thought it was, or a skillful person using a slim Jim type of tool.

Sophisticated thieves with fob relays or cloners aren’t stealing headphones, they are stealing new cars.
It was 100% locked. I always lock it twice and have it beep twice as well. Took it to the dealer today and they confirmed it didn’t come standard with an alarm and it doesn’t have one. He said there’s also evidence on the inside of a slim Jim so that’s what they used. Then today another car got the same treatment

OP
OP
A

A11ie6

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Are you certain the alarm was set? Just hitting the lock button on the door doesn't set the alarm.
I always hit the lock button twice and have it beep. Dealer looked at it today and said it doesn’t have an alarm and didn’t come with one after they pulled the vin. So explains why nothing happened when they broke in

OP
OP
A

A11ie6

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Given there is no damage and the type of crime, You didn't lock the doors. It happens

Doors were locked 100%. Dealer looked at it today and went down in there and said there’s evidence of a slim Jim. Also another car was hit this morning in our complex same thing

OP
OP
A

A11ie6

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That’s too bad, the dirtbag will keep doing this until someone gives them what they deserve.

Then, unfortunately, the true victim will be the one on the receiving end of what pretends to be justice.
Exactly. Even then they’ll probably get arrested and let go. The only good thing is that they didn’t do damage and that we didn’t catch them in the act because that would’ve been a really bad day.