Broken in Half?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2020PW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The notice referred to is for 1500s only.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 3 June 2018. Now at 82703 miles

No there’s HD’s it apply too.

Last edited:

Goose55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins High Output 6.7L
This is worrisome. o_O

AA15My6x.jpg

It's my understanding that the frame on this 5th Gen (2019 and newer) Rams have a much more stout, higher grade steel. And yet, this happened. The driver said: "I knew the payload capacity on the truck was about 7,800 pounds and the camper dry weight was close to 5,000 pounds, but fully loaded, probably about 6,500 pounds." However, that's only the case for a regular-cab, long-bed model, not a crew cab. Ram's spec sheet shows the payload capacity for a similar dually as maxing out at only 4,190 pounds. The camper dry weight was close to 5,000 pounds, but fully loaded, probably about 6,500 pounds. So, he was 1,300 pounds over weight.

ThunderMug95

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have zero experience on campers…but a curiosity. I know they have securement underneath the bed, but what keeps it from sliding out of the bed? Always wondered…

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
I have zero experience on campers…but a curiosity. I know they have securement underneath the bed, but what keeps it from sliding out of the bed? Always wondered…

Turnbuckle to the stantion brackets from the truck frame. 2 back, 2 up front. Some are set to pull forward against the headboard.
See post 23, you can see the front one.

4xdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 powerwagon
Engine
So having read all the posts about the issue at hand the issue is about weight and cg there is a certain amount of safety ratings built in but consistent over loading and Rough terrain etc will result in metal fatigue the problem is the truck was pushed to its limits for to long every thing will break if pushed hard enough for long enough if it’s not this it could have been a blown engine or transmission or something like that

2020PW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This is worrisome. o_O

View attachment 510878

It's my understanding that the frame on this 5th Gen (2019 and newer) Rams have a much more stout, higher grade steel. And yet, this happened. The driver said: "I knew the payload capacity on the truck was about 7,800 pounds and the camper dry weight was close to 5,000 pounds, but fully loaded, probably about 6,500 pounds." However, that's only the case for a regular-cab, long-bed model, not a crew cab. Ram's spec sheet shows the payload capacity for a similar dually as maxing out at only 4,190 pounds. The camper dry weight was close to 5,000 pounds, but fully loaded, probably about 6,500 pounds. So, he was 1,300 pounds over weight.

I agree it’s worrisome. All the information is provided when purchasing the vehicle, this is a life lesson. Lesson is don’t be stupid.

4xdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 powerwagon
Engine
When trucks were in their infancy one of the adds was it can tow more than it can haul more money for equipment but easier on the truck

Randy Grant

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This is worrisome. o_O

View attachment 510878

And if you look closely it broke/buckled right where the front turnbuckles are lifting because of cantilevered weight behind the axle. Couple that with the weight of the CTD up front, and something's gotta give.

Beltsand

Reaction score
Ram Year
N/A (prior 2010,2019,2022)
Engine
Cummins
This is worrisome. o_O

View attachment 510878

I don't disagree that this truck does not have 7800 lbs of payload, but the 4190 payload is the SRW truck. With a DRW, GVWR goes up to 14,000 lbs. Part of that extra 2300 lbs over the SRW goes into the heavier axle, tires, etc., but you do get more payload. Mine has 5256 payload on the door sticker. Still way over with 6500 lbs in the bed. I had a heck of a time when looking for my truck in finding the payloads on the website. The configurations always showed the same payload range, around 4200 lbs, regardless of SRW or DRW on the website. I had to go find used DRWs for sale and look up the VINs on those to figure out where the real payloads were.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L
Buck definitely stops with the owner for sure. Still a competent truck camper dealership is not going to do a set up if it's not the right match..at least the ones I have dealt with.
I am still NOT convinced that PHOTOSHOP isn't being used. . . . this picture has been on several different threads, in several supposedly different locations.
And . . . . it is NOT a "MEGA CAB" as many have intimated! I own an 18 3500 MEGA CAB SRW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L
When a person buys a product there is an implied warranty of fitness of purpose, which is even more predominate if the product requires factory (manufacturer) or dealer installation. The buyer, relying on the dealer's knowledge and guidance, may assume under U.S. law that the product meets the suitable goods clause to meet the buyer's particular purpose or requirements of UCC § 2-315 .

"The principal of fitness for purpose is basic and must be present in the article supplied regardless of the limitations surrounding a sale by sample or by description." [Loomis Bros. Corp. v. Queen, 1958 Pa. Dist. & Cnty. Dec. LEXIS 269, 4-5 (Pa. C.P. 1958)]

ONLY IF the dealer in this case advised the buyer before sale that the product was not suitable for their specific application and usage, would the dealer provide some manner of defense against liability. I say some, because a smart dealer would realize the potential of liability claim and not have installed a camper that exceeded the vehicles specifications in the first place.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 3 June 2018. Now at 82657 miles
Your post makes one huge assumption . . . .the Dealer knew before hand that the new owner would load the Camper the way he did!
That makes for yet another response?

4xdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 powerwagon
Engine
I run heavy equipment for a living when I load a truck I always ask the driver if he is ok with the load or is there anything he wants changed once he gets out of the gate and on the highway the load is his problem same thing with your pick up truck you better know what your payload capacity is and what your load weight is push it to the limit long enough it will break rough roads will make things worse if you are going to push it you better keep up on your maintenance witch now includes a frame inspection at every oil change

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
No there’s HD’s it apply too.
My apologies. I actually think you are correct.

I researched this most of the morning which included a visit to my dealer. They have two single-cab Tradesman's on the lot with 8-foot beds. There were no papers in the vehicles indicating that THAT vehicle was prohibited from a slide on camper.

However, I talked to several others who indicated that some 2500s were not recommended for slide on campers and they attested to the fact that some do get a separate piece of paper indicating it. However, no one I talked to could show me verifiable proof about which configurations are prohibited. I was told "special equipment" was required in some cases, there's a "Camper Guide," but no one could find it. I was also told that there's a sales code for slide on camper equipment, but they couldn't find that either.

What bothers me is that people in sales seemed to have vastly different opinions about this.

I did stop in and asked my trailer dealer if he had any specs on Ram HDs, but he refused to quote anything until he saw the GVWR and payload specifications.

But there are others on the web who, like you, are informed that at least some Ram 2500s are not compatible with slide on campers.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 3 June 2018. Now at 82990 miles

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Your post makes one huge assumption . . . .the Dealer knew before hand that the new owner would load the Camper the way he did!
That makes for yet another response?
The dealer cannot assume what the owner is going to load the camper with. However, if others are correct that the camper was already so close to the payload, the dealer may be legally bound to inform the owner of the camper's limitations and potential hazards of increasing the load.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 3 June 2018. Now at 82990 miles

4xdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 powerwagon
Engine
My pw said no slide in camper s but I see some people use the pop up kind that’s why I made a lift for my topper

4xdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 powerwagon
Engine
We don’t camp in regular camp grounds so a big a$$ camper is not going to work and it’s going to be hard to turn a trailer around on a narrow trail I like to keep it simple and light I put my truck on a diet it gained about 1000pounds and once I figure out how to build my water tank it will be even heavier