Broken passenger stud on manifold

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Justin33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I just had an oil change and dealer must do something different now. He did a walk around while it was on lift and he showed that passenger back stud was broken. I’ve swings texted him and he’s saying they don’t mill down the manifold just new bolts? It’s clearly going to do it again here are the texts. I’m also annoyed as I have told them I’m hearing a noise last two oil changes and it was ticking from manifold. They said they heard nothing so now I’m screwed because I’m out of warranty.

We replace all the studs, bolts, hardware and gasket on the manifold that is leaking. That usually runs $350.00 to $500.00 per side.

We typically do not replace the manifold itself, just the gaskets and hardware. This generation of hemi typically has issues with studs a couple of time in the trucks lifetime due to the design of the system.

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
When the engine is cold, reach in and grab the corners of the heat shield. If it's loose, broken bolt it is.

If you reach behind the corner and feel the body of the bolt attached, you're broken off flush with the cylinder head.

If you just feel what seems the thickness of a nut on the back of the shield, the bolt broke under the head, and you will have a stub to grab onto. Easy-peasy to remove.

Even flush with the head broken bolts are easy to remove with the welder method.

You can have a combination of the two as well, just fyi.

Belt-sand the warped manifold flat, new gasket and bolts (<$100), and you're good to go.

Welcome to the club, and good luck with the repair.

1SloRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
When the engine is cold, reach in and grab the corners of the heat shield. If it's loose, broken bolt it is.

If you reach behind the corner and feel the body of the bolt attached, you're broken off flush with the cylinder head.

If you just feel what seems the thickness of a nut on the back of the shield, the bolt broke under the head, and you will have a stub to grab onto. Easy-peasy to remove.

Even flush with the head broken bolts are easy to remove with the welder method.

You can have a combination of the two as well, just fyi.

Belt-sand the warped manifold flat, new gasket and bolts (<$100), and you're good to go.

Welcome to the club, and good luck with the repair.
This method over shorty manifolds.
Unless you go long tube headers..worth it in every aspect, imo. Shorties will just give you more headaches and no real noticeable gains.

HuskerRam

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
Will a home use belt sander from the garage work, or is it necessary to take it to a machine shop?

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Will a home use belt sander from the garage work, or is it necessary to take it to a machine shop

A regular home belt sander will work. Now it will take a little while, but it will get the job done for sure.

Remflex gaskets are supposed to be the best.

I used everbilt Hardware from Amazon.

No problem so far and it's been 60,000 miles

1SloRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
A regular home belt sander will work. Now it will take a little while, but it will get the job done for sure.

Remflex gaskets are supposed to be the best.

I used everbilt Hardware from Amazon.

No problem so far and it's been 60,000 miles
Remflex gaskets are some of the best.
They’re easily bent/broken because they’re graphite material. So be careful. They do not require a re torque like most gaskets recommend.

Randy Grant

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I just had an oil change and dealer must do something different now. He did a walk around while it was on lift and he showed that passenger back stud was broken. I’ve swings texted him and he’s saying they don’t mill down the manifold just new bolts? It’s clearly going to do it again here are the texts. I’m also annoyed as I have told them I’m hearing a noise last two oil changes and it was ticking from manifold. They said they heard nothing so now I’m screwed because I’m out of warranty.

We replace all the studs, bolts, hardware and gasket on the manifold that is leaking. That usually runs $350.00 to $500.00 per side.

We typically do not replace the manifold itself, just the gaskets and hardware. This generation of hemi typically has issues with studs a couple of time in the trucks lifetime due to the design of the system.

Isn't it covered under power train

Last edited:

Badger 13

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
OP
OP
J

Justin33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What I can’t understand is why the dealer said they would replace the studs but not the actual warped manifolds. Why would I have them fix something that is going to happen again.