broken ujoint or axle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

benski77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
anyone know what I am dealing with 07 ram 1500 5.7 ...when I put it in drive or reverse it wants to move but I get a binding feeling and It won't move i don't wanna give it throttle and force it ...it's not the Trans cause it wants to move so where done Starr?

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
If your able to jack up the rear axle, check to see if either of the rear wheel can spin. You could be looking at something bound up in the rear differential or the parking brakes not releasing (if used).

OP
OP
benski77

benski77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
thank you im gonna go do that here shortly hope it's something fixable today gotta be at work tomorrow...thanks for your help

chopperman1

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Rebel
Engine
5.7L HEMI
4wd? Could be the transmission, transfer case or rear differential. 2wd it's the transmision or rear differential. Never seen a u-joint freeze up to be able to block the torque of the engine. No way a drive shaft can lock up, it simply spins.

OP
OP
benski77

benski77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
well I jacked up the rear end and everything was good so I jacked up the front end and drivers side wheel all good no kind of resistance then I checked the passenger side an it's locked up tighter then hell .so locked up caliper is what I'm gonna guess just going on all the help I got from the forum...I've never delt with one and I run outta day light to really be able to go any farther but first thing in the morning I am gonna go in on it..thanks yall for all the help I appreciate it big time this is my first dodge ram an I am a ram guy for life..

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
Ok so tomorrow morning confirm the wheel is still locked up. Then grab a wrench and loosen the brake hose banjo bolt slightly to see if the wheel goes free.
IF it now turns free, your caliper could be fine and you more than likely have a collapsed rubber brake hose.
IF you crack the hose banjo bolt and it is still stuck, then you more than likely have a stuck caliper. You can then use a C - clamp to collapse the caliper enough to remove it.
Search up a YouTube movie if you're not sure or ask here.

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
FYI, the Brake Hose Banjo is that bolt the attaches the brake hose to the caliper.