Help Support Ram Forum by donating:

Brothers in Arms

Discussion in 'Ram Clubs' started by Pull Ya, Nov 15, 2019.

1. Pull Ya

Pull Ya U.S. MARINE VETERAN Supporting Member Military

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.7 Hemi
    Survived Thanksgiving in spite of myself!!!!! Self control went out the window. Hope y'all had a great Thanksgiving! If your out on the road be careful--remember-people don't have to be smart to get a drivers license. Have a great day Brothers and Sisters!!!!!
    Semper Fi
    Jay

Last edited: Dec 3, 2019
  2. Fitz-0518

Fitz-0518 Veteran 66-68 Military

Ram Year:
    2003 1500 & 2018 2500
    Engine:
    5.7 & 6.4
    So back on post #28 I said I would pick up where I left off in this thread. (Jay, if this is not what you set up this thread for, let me know)
    So in country. Driving a 10T Army issue (Ford) tractor trailer from Long Binh to places like Tay Ninh, Hobo jungle, Ben Hoa. Hauled mostly chopper parts and C Rats. Not a bad gig. Out on the road or convoy about 7:00 or 8:00. Back at base early afternoon. Most meals in the mess hall. Shower, bear, smokes, jokes and poker every night.
    Then came Tet. We were living in hooch's. Wood floor, frame with tent cover. Two trenches along side the hooch. One for incoming, one for piss. Charlie hit the ammo dump around 2 in the morning. After the first 1 or 2 rounds we figured out,,, incoming, not out going. Being smart common sense guys we grabbed our helmets, rifles and dove into the trench. Lets just say that trench was warm. As people were running for cover or to their assigned area the rockets and mortars were coming in fast and hard. So we had visitors jumping into the trench too. I remember one Sargent saying WTF. You idiots must be Army draftee's. Wilson replied, "I am sure you are not" as the Sargent tried to climb out of that slippery trench. Incoming, outgoing, charlie breaching the wire. Didn't matter. We were hell bent on making it to the showers before they got blown up. Ever showered holding a m-14 in one hand.
    (HR, thought of that night like it was a week ago) Fitz

ETX Ram, Pull Ya and McBroom like this.
  3. turkeybird56

turkeybird56 Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army Military

Ram Year:
    2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,pending bed lining
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7

NOPE, neva showered holding my rifle, but then I neva was in combat, being a VET of the Post Vietnam Peacetime Gig. But I took my M-16 into the shower many a time to rinse out the solvent after cleaning, does that count??? Only comparison I could think of, since I was part of that Peacetime years (not counting Gitmo, etc or Desert Storm/Shield), when I was assigned to a Community Unit in Germany and could get no where near Iran/Iraq whicheva.

Pull Ya, ETX Ram and Fitz-0518 like this.
  4. aces-n-eights

aces-n-eights Member Military

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.7 Hemi
    I want to add a story about wearing "veteran's gear". My father-in-law was a 3 war combat vet. He was a Marine in WWII in the Pacific, got out went to college, saw the light (haha!) and joined Army ROTC. He went to Korea and then Vietnam. He was a Lieutenant Colonel Infantry when he came back from 'Nam and they said they would make him a full Colonel if he would go back for another tour. He said he'd had enough.

Anyway... he was in his 80's and wearing a ballcap with WWII/Korea/Vietnam veteran on it as he and his wife were boarding an airplane. There were a couple of active duty soldiers in uniform ahead of them in line. The gate agent thanked the active duty guys for their service and asked if they wanted to sit in First Class. They thanked her and said "No, but we sure would like them to sit there", pointing to my FIL and MIL. And they did.

I was always thankful to the airlines - Northwest, before they merged with Delta - and the active soldiers that gave up a nice seat.

huntergreen, Pull Ya, ETX Ram and 2 others like this.
  5. Fitz-0518

Fitz-0518 Veteran 66-68 Military

Ram Year:
    2003 1500 & 2018 2500
    Engine:
    5.7 & 6.4
    Ace, what a great share. As a 73 year old Veteran of Vietnam. I have noticed a very different attitude/appreciation from the public and business's today compared to 1968. Enjoy great discounts and private parking at some business. Harbor Freight now offers 10% for over 65 and 10% for Veteran/Military. They claim that their business with that group of customers has increased by 28%. Bang for buck. Fitz

Pull Ya and ETX Ram like this.