Brought my 4th gen. in for recall, drove a 19' Rebel...well

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

norton333

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My 16' Sport needed the tailgate recall, so was sitting there bored, so I figured why not drive a 19' Rebel, they had a billet silver, my favorite color so took it for a spin.I was one of the hate the new 5th gen. guys, but have to say it was really nice, handled great, loved the interior, loved the rims.What I didn't like was the price, the ugly tow mirrors, and mostly the fact that mine has only 12,500 miles on it, just couldn't justify a swap... but has me thinking about it.Here is the one I drove.rcysRl3.jpg

Last edited:

Ohio5pt7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I have to agree. I bought my 18 after driving a 19 only because the HUGE price difference. And I'm not going to lie I was a little let down that the motor department didnt get a bump. I would love a 1500 with a 6.4.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

HitchHiker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
How would you characterize any differences between 4th and 5th gen since you have driven both?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
norton333

norton333

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
How would you characterize any differences between 4th and 5th gen since you have driven both?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well, it's kind of hard as my 16' is not stock, on the plus the 19' was very smooth, handled really well, but my 16' has the Mopar CIA and catback, I know I missed the rumble when starting and the growl when getting on it.Mine is also higher, had raised ride height from factory and I added a Rough country level.This 19' was a quad cab with 6.4 bed like my 16' which is a must for me.The interior of the 19' was also more refined with a lot more gadgets than mine, and I even liked the red accents the Rebel has that a lot of people don't like.I'm sure if this was lifted and I added the CIA and performance exhaust that would change a lot in favor of the 19'.. but now we are talking $$$$ on top of the high price tag we already mentioned.As far as the grill ,the Rebel is the only 5th gen. that is appealing to me(even with the unibrow lol). I think for me the bottom line is if I were walking into the dealer today without already having my 4th gen. I would probably go with this 19' Rebel, but with my low miles and already having added so much to mine I don't see it right now.

OP
OP
norton333

norton333

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Oh, and unrelated side notes, I had the passenger restraint flash done and told them I did NOT want the autostop recommendation done. Had the tailgate actuator recall done and mentioned my backup camera was blank the the other day and had to open and close the gate to get it to come on, so they said it was faulty and put a whole new one in free under warranty even though it only happened the one time. This dealer did what I asked and has always been good to deal with(I didn't even buy my truck there)

dirtyd1833

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If I was going to trade in on a 19, it would be a Rebel, except I HATE the red on the interior....

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
norton333

norton333

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Had a second take the next day, was bored, rained all morning, was hanging out with my son so after lunch we drove to the dealer that I bought my RAM at in 16' to see a few more. The place was empty, so we looked at several 19' Rebels, my son drove a Granite gray quad cab, I sat in back. After a second look I got it out of my system, the price was higher than the one I drove yesterday, and I realized the only way I would want one would be with a lift, catback and CAI(I couldn't even hear it, way too quiet) and by the time I added soft cover and all the other things mine has it would be $$$$ on top. I guess it was good to take a second look, made me realize how much I like my 16'....for now anyway , lol.

Last edited:

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I believe everything you have said---and understand---just let us know when that Rebel is in your driveway, I think most of us think it's on the way, just when is the question-----LOL
Jay

OP
OP
norton333

norton333

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I believe everything you have said---and understand---just let us know when that Rebel is in your driveway, I think most of us think it's on the way, just when is the question-----LOL
Jay
Ha, I hear you Jay, but unless my 16' meets an untimely end, it won't be anytime soon, just too much $$$.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah I scoped a few 19's when they first arrived. A Big Horn with a sticker price of 53K, and recently saw a Laramie with a sold sign on it in the dealer showroom, 65K window sticker.

TBH even the 4th gens seemed to have high window stickers, so I wouldnt let that price sway you. Heck I paid 13K less than window sticker without much argument. I think MSRP is just overly inflated nowadays, helps the average buyer think they are getting a deal if its 3K under window sticker.

Id be more curious to see actual purchase price of these trucks, which like any other vehicle ever is hard to get a true read on (I take all "price paid" threads with several large grains of salt!)

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The thing holding me back is all the things I have already done to my 16, the price difference and the biggest thing--the damn thing is 4" longer and won't
fit in my garage.
Jay

OP
OP
norton333

norton333

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The thing holding me back is all the things I have already done to my 16, the price difference and the biggest thing--the damn thing is 4" longer and won't
fit in my garage.
Jay
Two really good points, I would not be happy until all my must have mods were back on the new truck and it's not like I can move some over to the new one, and even though I'm lucky enough to now have a huge garage, that would take up quite a bit more space.

PerfectCreature

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I was approved for a an 18" Rebel, but bought a used 17' 1500 for about $14k difference. I have sunk about $3k into it already and it looks better and drives better, in my opinion than a Rebel and I still have about $10k left before I would be "even".
It is hard to buy a Rebel when the regular ones are similar, and can be made better for not much more on top.

Now, the TRX....that would be different. I am chomping at the bit for that one....

LoneStarSilver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
In my case I actually went to the dealership to look at and drive a '19. It was a Lone Star edition and was sufficiently loaded for my tastes, drove fine but I thought I was going to have to pick myself up off the ground when I looked at the sticker. Sitting next to it was the '18 Lone Star Silver Edition that I bought. Though it was white and I have always had color in my vehicles, the salesman gave me the best deal I have ever made on a new vehicle, so I swallowed my love of color and have really grown to love the white. I will be adding a few "accents" to make it unique in the future though. With so many threads on the problems the '19's are having I'm glad I decided to stay in the 4th gen truck.....plus I really thing they are best looking thing running down the road.

TXCOMT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
fit in my garage.
Jay

Hah! We're in the same boat, Jay, but you've spent way more on yours than I have mine!

As to the second-gen Reb the OP drove, I'm not a fan of many of the items he already pointed out, but one that didn't get mentioned are those aircraft carrier-sized steps! Dang, how wide do they need to be? I get the benefits but any half-serious off-roading could make quick work of 'em.

TXCOMT

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hah! We're in the same boat, Jay, but you've spent way more on yours than I have mine!

As to the second-gen Reb the OP drove, I'm not a fan of many of the items he already pointed out, but one that didn't get mentioned are those aircraft carrier-sized steps! Dang, how wide do they need to be? I get the benefits but any half-serious off-roading could make quick work of 'em.

TXCOMT

I haven't seen them in person yet, but maybe they are structural and can act as rock sliders?