Brought my 4th gen. in for recall, drove a 19' Rebel...well

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
If only there were some good off-roading places around here. Other than riding in the river beds and hoping the Army corps engineers don’t open the floodgates.
I’d prefer to ride some trails with rocks and mud climbing hills but, nothing like that here that I’ve found.
Maybe down there in the Texas hill country???

I Love my 18 Ram 2500HD 4x4 CC
Blue Streak Pearl off-road

OP
OP
norton333

norton333

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hah! We're in the same boat, Jay, but you've spent way more on yours than I have mine!

As to the second-gen Reb the OP drove, I'm not a fan of many of the items he already pointed out, but one that didn't get mentioned are those aircraft carrier-sized steps! Dang, how wide do they need to be? I get the benefits but any half-serious off-roading could make quick work of 'em.

TXCOMT
For me those side steps would come right off and be be on craigslist, or better yet have the dealer remove them and deduct the price, I'm not a fan of them.

slacadjuster

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I have to agree. I bought my 18 after driving a 19 only because the HUGE price difference. And I'm not going to lie I was a little let down that the motor department didnt get a bump. I would love a 1500 with a 6.4.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Yup, I hear ya there. Took FCA nearly 10 model years for a complete redesign, and yet the motor AND out put stayed the same as my 2015.

GM and now Ford with it's Raptor motor available in the 2019 F-150 is WORLD'S ahead of Ram in the motor department

slacadjuster

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
My 16' Sport needed the tailgate recall, so was sitting there bored, so I figured why not drive a 19' Rebel, they had a billet silver, my favorite color so took it for a spin.I was one of the hate the new 5th gen. guys, but have to say it was really nice, handled great, loved the interior, loved the rims.What I didn't like was the price, the ugly tow mirrors, and mostly the fact that mine has only 12,500 miles on it, just couldn't justify a swap... but has me thinking about it.Here is the one I drove.rcysRl3.jpg

But grey??? WRONG!!!

Ohio5pt7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Yup, I hear ya there. Took FCA nearly 10 model years for a complete redesign, and yet the motor AND out put stayed the same as my 2015.

GM and now Ford with it's Raptor motor available in the 2019 F-150 is WORLD'S ahead of Ram in the motor department
If they truly give us the hellcat ram I'll pull the trigger on the 5th gen till then 448 stroker and a procharger? Or maybe I'll go straight to hellaphant crate motor. 1000hp 30k sticker paid 32k for the truck so I'd basically be in it for the price of a maxed out limited and no one else would have one

slacadjuster

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
If they truly give us the hellcat ram I'll pull the trigger on the 5th gen till then 448 stroker and a procharger? Or maybe I'll go straight to hellaphant crate motor. 1000hp 30k sticker paid 32k for the truck so I'd basically be in it for the price of a maxed out limited and no one else would have one

That would be badass for sure.

I've thought about a procharger for my truck, but being as it's got the 3.21 axle, and 2 wheel drive, would I really see all the benefits from a procharger. Or really any mods for that matter.

Ohio5pt7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
That would be badass for sure.

I've thought about a procharger for my truck, but being as it's got the 3.21 axle, and 2 wheel drive, would I really see all the benefits from a procharger. Or really any mods for that matter.
You for sure would the thing about turbos and prochargers the higher you crank it the more they make. 3.21s would be perfect for a turbo.

bigred90gt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
At least THAT grill looks good
And I think exactly the opposite of that. To me, that black plastic grille looks like the cheapest of the bottom of the barrel grilles they could have put on it. Pulled with the black flares and bumper cover, looks like a cheap base model work truck with a lift and some wheels.

OP
OP
norton333

norton333

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
But grey??? WRONG!!!
? Grey what? if you read the post, the one first pictured is the Billet silver I drove, the only grey mentioned was the granite Rebel my son and I drove the next day, no pic was added of that one.

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
And I think exactly the opposite of that. To me, that black plastic grille looks like the cheapest of the bottom of the barrel grilles they could have put on it. Pulled with the black flares and bumper cover, looks like a cheap base model work truck with a lift and some wheels.
Looks better to me than the typical 5th gen chrome grills.:cheers:

screamneagle

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 rebel
Engine
5.7 hemi
I've had mine for a few months now and can say it's the best truck I've ever had, way better than my '05 big horn. Smooth ride on highway, much better brakes. Would like to have the 6.4 or better yet the hellaphant but overall I'm very happy with it.

IMG_1799.JPG