Brushless car wash?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
So we have a local brushless car wash. Works great for wifes car but my dark blue truck is a waste of money in there. Spent $15 the other night just to get the dirt and grime off and it doesn't look any better than before I washed it. In the summer I would rather hand wash but in the dead of winter...car wash will do.

So I have a 2018 2500. My son has a 2021 2500. There is a new car wash that he sent his through and said it looks great but is not brushless. His truck does not have a regular antenna. Anyone here take their trucks through regular 'brushed' car washes and have any issues?

Loudram

Just a sinner saved by grace
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I took my '19 through a "neoglide" touch car wash during the winter for the undercarriage wash to get the salt off. That style uses the neoprene type strips and not a brush. My stock antenna was fine and it cleaned the truck pretty good. However it did leave very fine scratches on the side of my bed one time. I won't take my new truck in there. I now use a touchless about 30 minutes away and only during the winter for the undercarriage wash. It doesn't do a great job but it'll get the salt off. When it warms up, hand wash.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
A brushless car wash will not clean all the dirt off your truck and if you try to dry the truck you'll scratch the paint. A car wash with brushes will leave micro-scratches on all the surfaces the brushes touch. Generally speaking a car wash with brushes has rightly earned the name "Tunnel of Destruction" IMHO. If they did not cause damage to vehicles, why would they have dozens of signs posted that they are not responsible for damage to your vehicle? I realize that during the winter it is not very practical to hand wash your truck because of the weather, but the best and safest way is to wash your truck by hand using the 2-bucket method.
Jay

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
Brushless will take off the mud, sand, road salt, and most of the bug guts depending on how dry they are. It just won’t remove the greasy film of petroleum waste that clouds the shine. I use them often in dirty driving because they do remove destructive contamination and I’m less worried about gloss.

When I want to return to shiny, it’s time for a hand wash and fresh wax.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I take my black Traverse through the getgo brush car wash weekly.
Took the truck through before, but i don't drive it enough to both with.
Even the brush type won't get everything but it does look better overall. I have never had any damage done to any vehicle, the newer ones are gentler.

Rlaf75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I use a touch less car wash all the time and it works really good. They aren't meant to be the best wash on the planet. They work great as a maintenance wash if you keep up on it. I hand wash it once in the spring then use the touch less wash as a maintainer throughout the summer. I use it in the winter just to get the salt off underside of the truck.

soapy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
I own several touchless car washes and agree with most everything said on prior posts. My washes will get most everything clean about 95% of the time but not always. Road film after a summer rain storm is the worst to get off. On all my vehicles I keep a good ceramic type wax and they always come clean. Second hardest to remove is the magnesium chloride used on roads in the winter. Not every wash is the same and it really comes down to have the right presoak and the correct dilution for a touchless to work properly.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I use touchless all winter. I have had the brushed ones damage my mirror as well as scratch the paint, but that really depends on how dirty the cars that went through before you were. A really dirty vehicle will leave build up on the brushes for the next guy. None of the automatics do a great job, but it's better to me than icing up the driveway trying to wash it by hand and some of the ones around me have corrosion inhibitor added into the wash, which is a nice bonus this time of year.

OP
OP
dhay13

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
Maybe I'll just pull my antenna off before going through? Shouldn't be too difficult? Then fold my mirrors in

Loudram

Just a sinner saved by grace
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Maybe I'll just pull my antenna off before going through? Shouldn't be too difficult? Then fold my mirrors in
That's a smart move. It's never happened to me but I have heard of the brushes whipping the antenna around so it hits and damages the windshield.

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
We have a Lasar touchless car wash here, great for the dead bug syndrome in the summer, I always towel dry it so no streaks, I do have a good ceramic coating on it, they have an undercarriage spray for the winter, of course on below freezing days they don't function properly, so I don't bother.

ThunderMug95

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I use the touchless to knock mud and crud off of the truck. The one I use has an undercarriage wash thats pretty good.
But thats just a stop-gap to my handwash.

combatgrunt

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Never take any vehicle you care about in a brushed car wash you will have so many swirls in the clear coat and your plastic like your taillights etc don’t even use them if you have a ceramic coating or self healing PPF.

Last edited:

gfh77665

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Its easy and well worth it. I keep a set of pliers in the console, and when I go through a car wash I stop in the parking lot and unscrew the antenna. It literally takes 10 seconds. After the wash I reinstall. I learned to do this after the first time I went through and the antenna on my new RAM bent slightly.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
We have a lot of self serve wand washes as well as touchless drive throughs. There are almost zero brush washes in this area anymore because no one will use them due to the mess they make of your paint.

The wand washes have a Bug and Grime pre-soak that works excellent 95% of the time. By the same token, if you go to the wand wash none of them give you any grief about hand washing with a bucket to get rid of the film, unless there are cars waiting in line. They also have brush wands that dispense soap, and if you make sure they are very clean, and use them gently, they do a good job of removing that film too.

With the indoor, heated, wand wash option, I haven't washed a vehicle on my driveway in 30 years.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Maybe this has more to do with age than with the car wash but------
Jay
I read that article when it popped up on my news feed. The guy got the gas and brake confused and ended up rolling the car in there somehow. Only lesson there is don't use one if you can't drive in a straight line or know which pedals to press. I'd wager it would be hard to duplicate that crash if you tried.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Driving in a straight line, even in a tunnel can be a challenge sometimes---
That may be another reason I stay out of them things---LOL-
Jay