"Budget" 6 ton jack stands that aren't junk?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Growing up around hot rods and builds that both my Dad and Grandpa did back when I was a kid and cutting my teeth in the late 80s and 90s learning all I know about anything and everything mechanics. I was lucky and got taught and can do it all. All they used back then was central pneumatic engine hoists and stands. We did big blocks, small blocks, and they were trusted every time for an oil change. Once harbor freight basically made their staple it went to crap. I had a central pneumatic jack break on me when I was working under my 67 Camaro R/S S/S 350 resto. Real deal car for you muscle car enthusiasts. I luckily had and I forget at that the time good jack stands. It saved me. I have big red stands and jack now. Never an issue jacking up my Durango R/T and my Ram.

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have no regrets with my HF jacks. i've been using those 6 ton ones for a big while, i've lifted Jeeps Toyotas and now the RAM with those. I have 3 sets of jacks and everytime i'm working on my rig i have at least 2 jacks for support and a floor jack underneath as well. I don't fear HF jacks stands., i fear strut top spacers and $50 ucas :).

Last edited:

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi, All I have a 7 ton Big Red floor jack, and 6 ton jack stands Bought them from MSC Industrial Direct bought them a while ago, but they are still in business.

caulk04

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I bought torin brand 'black jack' 6tons at Walmart just this morning. $45.

Yes they're Chinese made, of course. Yes, they seem sturdy and safe.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s
I got 2 sets of the 6 ton Big Red for $64 a set this past Dec 3rd and now they are $104 on amazon lol ..wtf !!!!

I lucked out and they are the double locking ones too ....

Fergusontd

FTD
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Most if not all jacks and jack stands are made in China I'd think that 6 ton should not be to hard to find or order at most auto parts stores.

TomB 1269

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If I may put in my 2 cents.
1. any jack stand can fail that is why I always have 3 points of contact. I leave my floor jack in place. I release the weight to the stands then reset the floor jack to just make FIRM contact, not actual supporting contact, but enough so that if there is movement it stays in place. Also provides a leverage point for someone to get the cars weight off you should it fall.
2. You want as wide a base as you can get the taller the jack stand is
3. always place on frim material to support stand that the legs will not sink in to, i.e. concrete or place on a 2ftx2ft or bigger sheet of 3/4 in plywood. Remember pavement can become warm and allow jacks to sink in

As for the 4 ramp trick. It works, but just remember to put axle with parking brake on ramps 1st and then jack up the other axle so as not to have the vehicle roll during the secondary ramp install.

Also you can lay a 2x6 on the ram and set the vehicle frame, etc. down on the ramp if needed, i.e. using it as a jack stand if needed.

Finally, on a more morbid note, lost an uncle that was a drag racer working on his own car due to jack stands sinking in the ground about 40 years ago. He knew what he was doing, and hand done it a million times, but a little snow in East Texas at the time hand softened the ground just enough to cause the jack to shift under load while trying to remove drive shaft retainer clips.

Morale....Never be come complacent when it comes to working under a car. When you do you risk the ultimate FAIL.....

Gregory McKinley

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 E-torque
Had some in the floor for a few years then the recall happened. Took them up and traded out for the good ones and no issues at all. I am still here to tell ya about them!! Good as any!

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
HF keeps recalling their 6 ton Jack's. Not sure if they even have ones for sale. I have Evercraft ones from NAPA. They're good.
HF recalled the 6 tons first then a month or so later the 3 tons. I had a set of the 6 tons. There are youtube videos showing what the issue was. I took mine back & swapped them for a "New & Improved" set from them. The replacements have beefier teeth. I have no issues with them. I'd rather have them from someone who will recall defective product and exchange for good ones rather than a vendor that doesn't issue a recall.
Most likely any jackstands you buy will be made in china no matter whos name is on them.
The correct way to use them is to get your vehicle on them then grab your car or truck and shake it before getting under it.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I still have Floor Jacks & Jack Stands that i bought at a warehouse club called 10,000 auto parts
They carried everything that every auto store carries & a lot of things to hotrod your vehicles

We had at least 2 of them in San Diego, public welcome