budget minded muzzleloader reccomendations?

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors' started by muddy12, Dec 13, 2018.

1. muddy12

muddy12 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.7 Hemi
    you could say I'm looking for the best "bang" for my buck.;)

Anyway, my current muzzleloader has officially been retired to the mantle above the fire place. It's a CVA Frontier .50cal percussion lock that I built from a kit almost 30 years ago. While prepping it for deer season this year, the nipple blew out of the bolster. I repaired it by getting a repair nipple(oversized threads) and drilling and tapping the bolster. The bolster was too far gone, and the repair didn't hold(nipple blew out again after the repair).

I could get a new bolster, but have decided that after 30 years of service, I'd rather just retire this one, and upgrade to a newer in-line style muzzleloader.

I'm on a budget, but don't mind spending a little more if the quality is there.
    All suggestions are welcome.
    thanks,
    muddy

2. turkeybird56

turkeybird56 Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army Military

Ram Year:
    2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Red Crystal Pearl Coat, pending bed lining
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    Wow, definitely a different thread on a vehicle forum. I have never fired nor had much interest in black powder, as my only "rifle" is my M-4. Gonna get myself a Henry some time, but got no clue on black powder.. There is a guy on GunsAmerica selling a Frontier for $235.00...

Here is the URL:

https://www.gunsamerica.com/948538930/CVA-FRONTIER-50-CAL-PERCUSSION.htm

3. nastyhabts26

nastyhabts26 Junior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    I would look for a more modern CVA as your old one lasted you 30 years or so.
    There are a lot of options most are good, I would look through the Bass Pro websites or Sportsman’s Warehouse.

4. muddy12

muddy12 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.7 Hemi
    Well, I did post this in the "Great Outdoors" section, and 7 of the 10 threads below this one are firearm related. Guess I kind of thought it fit. Besides, the members here have, and are willing to share a wealth of info about our trucks. I just figured if some of these "truck guys" also happened to be "black powder guys", they might be willing to offer some suggestions.

Checked out the link, mine is basically the same rifle. Mine however has an adjustable rear sight, and I did not "embellish" it with a bunch of extra brass.