build larger under floor storage bin?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Has anybody built larger compartments to replace the factory in floor compartments on their crew cab ram? I've been considering it to store all my tow straps, flares, tie down straps, etc permanently in the truck out of the way. Figure use the same hatch, but build a bigger box out of welded aluminum or bonded plexiglass to give me more room for all the stuff I like to have in the truck all the time just in case.

Last edited:

Frosty415

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
They make aftermarket storage bins that go under the seats....not sure if you're aware. Just thought I'd throw it out there before you starting making modifications.

Attachments

• gh.jpg
    gh.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 102

shadowhawk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Black metallic 2016 Sport- born 05/2016
Engine
hemi 5.7 with I2 tune
My '16 has factory bins, but I also have the alpine subwoofer. that negates storing anything under the 60% side of the rear seat.

OP
OP
BWL

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I'm referring to the hidden ones under the floor mats on the newer crew cabs. If someone makes an oversize bin kit for those I'd be interested.

shadowhawk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7 with I2 tune
I think you 'd have to do a lot of cutting and welding. What else is under there that would get in the way?

OP
OP
BWL

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I could probably go 6" wider without anything in the way and easily 12" front to back with lots of room as there's lots of open space under the seat so I could go as far as I could reach in with my hand.. The bin is visible and easily accessible under the truck. Was thinking use the factory hatch and seal since it's not part of the bin itself. The factory hole is big enough to get enough access to it.

usaf2006

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My only thought is having to bend your arm to get to the back corner of the new box. I like the idea tho! Interested to see if you come up with something.

Pat E

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 L
Curious if you ever came with with a solution to this? I have been pondering the same thing for a while. There is so much room under the floor that I'm surprised Ram did not make the boxes bigger. They also could have put them under the front seats.

Quint

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Big Horn 1500
Engine
5.7L v8 eTorque
I always forget that these bins are in the truck. These beer coolers are part of what sold me on switching to a RAM. Every once in a while I use them as a cooler on longer trips, but in between completely forget that they are "utility" storage bins where I could store a few more items.

Thanks for the reminder. I too am interested to see if this mod was a success.

OP
OP
BWL

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Talked myself out of it and forgot all about it, but may make an attempt down the road. If done right you could still use the drop in bins and store stuff out of sight around it.

shadowhawk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7 with I2 tune
Talked myself out of it and forgot all about it, but may make an attempt down the road. If done right you could still use the drop in bins and store stuff out of sight around it.

it's really just a larger gin that you need to sit outside the original bin. Can't be too deep though so as not to interfere with clearance.

Dnelso2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Eco-diesel
I think you are probably gonna have a hard time squeezing it in. Probably would have to put back together in 2 pieces (from top and bottom). They probably made them that size so they could drop them in.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I recall a company that makes a larger bin & a locking lid that goes with it

I'll try to find that site again, it was a couple years ago