Build up of My 2018 Megacab called Big Bertha

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sawtooth4x4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I don't know if anyone is interested in a build thread. I've had the truck for about a year and done a lot to it.

I bought it last march with 10 miles on it for about $58K.

Specs

2018 Ram Megacab 2500 Laramie
6.7L Cummins
68RFE
Apple Car play is what really sold me to upgrade.
Gooseneck towing prep package
Limited Slip Rear Axle
3.43 gears

Current upgrades:
Wheels: GTX 18x9's
Tires: Fierce Attitude MT's 325x65x18
LED Headlight Bulbs
LED Foglight Kit
K&N Air Filter
Midland CB Radio
Roll-up Tonneau Cover
Smitty Built M1 Winch Bumper
Smittybilt 15500 XRC Winch
Aluminess Rear Bumper
AEV Snorkle
Tow Mirrors
Weather Tech Floor Mats
9" LED Spot Lights
Stubby Radio Antenna
2.5" Leveling kit

Current miles 30895. After 11 months of ownership

Most Current picture

85059438_10157247049075028_7281710016317358080_o.jpg

OP
OP
sawtooth4x4

sawtooth4x4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
If you are interested, I'll post some more about it, and what the future plans are for it.

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Keep going. Everyone here has a build thread here.
The pic in your 1st post didn't show.
I look forward to seeing more pics

Blue Mule

DRkNESS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I definitely am interested and would love to see working photos of your current progress.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

audiophile

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Pics or didn't happen.........jk sounds great!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
sawtooth4x4

sawtooth4x4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
During the last two weeks we have been back and forth between Wyoming and Utah. So its been a bit crazy. A couple weeks ago, I was four wheeling in Wyoming through some washouts. I kind of kit the intercooler and bent the bottom portion a little. I decided it was time to make a skid plate for it. I didn't even look for a mass produced one, because I had some time to kill, since I didn't have any thing else to do.

I did video the fabrication and install. Seems to be working good so far.

OP
OP
sawtooth4x4

sawtooth4x4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I'll post some more videos of the build, like the bumpers, engine mods, and suspension stuff. Coming up. Sorry, its been a crazy last two weeks.

OP
OP
sawtooth4x4

sawtooth4x4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
This is the AEV Snorkel / raised air intake install.

I'm probably going to get the pre-filter head for mine shortly. After driving through a blizzard in Wyoming after Christmas, my airbox was filled with snow.

This took a few hours to do, had to cut holes in the fender. Overall, if you follow the instructions carefully, you can do it at home.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Edit: Never mind, you posted a video jsut as I was posting my question Lol.

Is that snorkel actually functional or just for looks? Seems like it would be hard to get that fitted in a diesel?

OP
OP
sawtooth4x4

sawtooth4x4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
It is functional, it does work good. I turn the head around in dusty conditions or if its snowing. I filled the airbox up with snow once while driving in a blizzard.

The snorkel hooks right into the intake inside the fender for the airbox.

OP
OP
sawtooth4x4

sawtooth4x4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
We took a little trip out to some sand dunes and had a bit of fun in the truck. To bad my drone wasn't working good in the 30 mph winds, because we could have had some cooler shots.

OP
OP
sawtooth4x4

sawtooth4x4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I'm going to keep posting stuff but a lot of this is older, sorry. Things I've been working on for the last year.

Question, I do a lot of off-road driving, I have a leveling kit up front. What do you guys recommend for shocks. My stock ones are starting to get worn out. I have about 34K miles on it right now. I'd like a better ride, a little more control. And for the swaying when I'm on the throttle getting on the interstate.

BJSwizzle

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Sport
Engine
5.7L
Edit: Never mind, you posted a video jsut as I was posting my question Lol.

Is that snorkel actually functional or just for looks? Seems like it would be hard to get that fitted in a diesel?

I’ve been wondering the same thing, I see all these Jeep guys running around the city with snorkels and jacks on the hood, too me it looks odd

OP
OP
sawtooth4x4

sawtooth4x4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
The snorkel is good for deep water crossings. Having gotten stuck in a river in southern Utah for 3 hours, my air filter box was filled with water. My air filter was filled with silt. I left the truck idling for 3 hours, I was afraid to shut it off. If I would have had the snorkel at the time everything would have stayed dry. The problem with these trucks, is ram decided in their infinite wisdom, to place the air intake, right inside the fender liner on the passenger-side. When you are stuck in a river and the water is up to the height of the stock air intake, you are heading for a very expensive disaster. I decided since I spend a lot of time out exploring and 4 wheeling, it was a good investment to keep my engine safe.

OP
OP
sawtooth4x4

sawtooth4x4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Last week when we were out in the sand dunes, I was finally able to try out my ARB Tred Pros. I think they work alright, but the shovel feature, is kind of dumb, I'd rather just use a real shovel. A real shovel worked a lot better and took less time to dig our the rear tires. I definitely think the traction boards work good. But I think if you really want to be able to get free, having 4 of them is the key. I didn't bury it too bad, but just enough to see if we could get free with them. We were just starting to get get bogged when I stopped to see if they would help get us out.

This was filmed at the Little Sahara Sand Dunes, in Utah.

OP
OP
sawtooth4x4

sawtooth4x4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Just did a quick overnight trip. We converted our garbage hauling military trailer for double duty. Now its an overlanding / garbage trailer. LOL

Anyway went out for an overnight to try it out and see how the Smittybilt RTT does. And I'll have to say not bad. I've had a Tepui before this and I think I like the Smittybilt a bit better. Wife was happy to sleep in it, instead of on the ground in a tent.

I'd post pictures, but they are always too big to upload. But here is a video I put together so show one of the roads we were one and some of the mining in the area.

OP
OP
sawtooth4x4

sawtooth4x4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
So I'm converting my old dump trailer, its an M116A2 military trailer. Decommissioned. I bought it to haul garbage to the dump originally and wanted to build an overlanding trailer eventually out of it. I don't see the point of spending $20K on one of the fancy ones. While they look really cool and probably function really awesome. I have 33ft Bumper Pull if I'm going to live in luxury anyway. So the point of this is to just get out of town for a couple days when I don't want to get the beast out of the backyard and fill it up with water and food, and then fight idiots in traffic who swerve in-front of a large truck with a huge trailer and then slam on the brakes.

Anyway, this is going to be a series of videos, here is the first one if you want to watch it. Thanks

OP
OP
sawtooth4x4

sawtooth4x4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Part 2 of our overlanding trailer build. We remove the crappy old wiring job, and build a new roof top tent rack.

OP
OP
sawtooth4x4

sawtooth4x4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Got the rack all welded up of the weekend. Added some cross bars and installed a new trailer jack. Tossed the old crappy harbor freight jack in the trash. Working on another video. Still waiting on lights and some other parts.

OP
OP
sawtooth4x4

sawtooth4x4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Alright, I got Part 3 done. The boring stuff is finished, now onto the wiring, and major modes to finish this up. So far, I'm staying on budget.

I need some ideas for storage, tool boxes or drawers. What do you think would be good? I can't seem to find anything, and I'm not a carpenter. I actually hate working with wood, but I'd be willing to take some suggestions!

Here's the newest video.