Building a new garage, what do you wish you had...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TriSum

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
So, we are rebuilding our house and I'm re-doing / expanding my garage. Right now it is a basic 20x20 two car. I'll be adding 10" to the front of the two car and adding a 3rd stall that will be ~ 12x45. Will be completely open inside, no poles so if I need a large workspace for a project I will have the space. Ceiling height will be 12'+.

Planning on the obvious, tool area with a work bench, sink area, air lines along the wall, lift at the front of the middle stall and floor coating.

What do you wish you would have built into your garage that you didn't and is now too much of a hassle to have done?

Thanks!

OP
OP
TriSum

TriSum

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
a toilet/sink.mine gets done in about a month.previous owner didn't see a need.i do.
Yes, we have a half bath just inside the house off of the garage.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Heat, fans. PUT in some good lighting also. But alas, mine is a free standing pole barn. I did put on all new doors last year. Think about any future buys you would do ref trucks, and insure You build it with enuf room to fit any future truck in there. I did not build mine, came with the property and I have just "enuf" room to get truck in. All IMHO.

Truck in Garage (1).JPGTruck in Garage (2).JPG

Last edited:

bcbouy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 power wagon
Engine
hemi
Yes, we have a half bath just inside the house off of the garage.
the previous owner build a really nice sleeping loft above the main stand alone shop,but no sh!tter.the shop is almost as big as the house.i also have a smaller shop i use for my sxs and snow equipment,sxs tracks,but it needs more power and better lighting.that gets done in a couple weeks.

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
12-14 ft door.
I had to pay special for 2 of the 3 doors I had replaced on my pole barn garage. The original owner built with 11' doors, and standard sizes are all even numbers: 6-8-10-12-14. SO had to have 11' doors made special, LOL.

IMG_0745.JPG

OP
OP
TriSum

TriSum

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
the previous owner build a really nice sleeping loft above the main stand alone shop,but no sh!tter.the shop is almost as big as the house.i also have a smaller shop i use for my sxs and snow equipment,sxs tracks,but it needs more power and better lighting.that gets done in a couple weeks.
I thought about a storage room up top.
12-14 ft door.
Yes, the 3rd car will be a high door for a trailer or motorhome.
A large I-beam to run a trolley on for attaching a chain hoist, running down the middle would be nice. Properly supported, of course. :cool:
Good idea, thanks!

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
A large I-beam to run a trolley on for attaching a chain hoist, running down the middle would be nice. Properly supported, of course. :cool:
Side to side, or just say center Bay??? ALSO, maybe an area for a "Lift" would be nice also.

British Bulldog

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 etorque
I built a 30x20 garage last year with an unofficial sleeping loft. No sh!tter as couldn’t get state approval in the time frame for a holding tank. Wish I had waited on that. My propane heater is very good, never drops below what I want as so much insulation in walls and ceilings! If I was doing it again I would put year round water not just summer as I did. All ****** rock here and I couldn’t go down 4’ needed so it would not freeze. I have to blow the pipes out each year. No biggie but………..

Well, another useful item; my mate has a pretty identically size and has a large double door at front with a small 8’ roll up door in rear so he can actually drive right through into his yard. Brilliant

Moose2

Military
Reaction score
I wish I had installed a 2nd lift.
1 isn’t enough and 2 is always better.
14’ tall door definitely.

stembridge

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6
I'm in the process of finishing out the inside of mine. 30x48 post-frame with 12' interior ceilings and a 6:12 pitch roof so it looks more residential (we're on 1 acre in a neighborhood).

IMG_5790.jpeg

It has a 15x22 workroom with a storage deck on top, mini-split a/c unit and two in-floor heat zones (pex tubing), one for the workshop and one for the main floor. I couldn't add a bathroom without pulling permits for a complete septic system, so just did a grey-water utility sink that drains into a dry well.

es

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Stembridge
I like the 2 garage doors
1 in the end, one in the side

My BiL is a Dodge collector, all cars
He has 1 bay that has a 4 post lift
The other bays have setups similar to this
144689_400x400.jpg

He has plenty of storage/workshop
Parking/storage for his & my sisters Harleys
There is also a office/playroom above the workshop

He has a mobile home on that property, a couple pay rent to live in it & they watch the property
My sister won't let him keep the cars on the Lake property that they live on, that is a good thing, the Lake property floods every once in a while

OP
OP
TriSum

TriSum

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
Side to side, or just say center Bay??? ALSO, maybe an area for a "Lift" would be nice also.
Yes, will have a lift.
I built a 30x20 garage last year with an unofficial sleeping loft. No sh!tter as couldn’t get state approval in the time frame for a holding tank. Wish I had waited on that. My propane heater is very good, never drops below what I want as so much insulation in walls and ceilings! If I was doing it again I would put year round water not just summer as I did. All ****** rock here and I couldn’t go down 4’ needed so it would not freeze. I have to blow the pipes out each year. No biggie but………..

Well, another useful item; my mate has a pretty identically size and has a large double door at front with a small 8’ roll up door in rear so he can actually drive right through into his yard. Brilliant
This is not a separate building, it's attached to the house and the pool is behind it so no driving through without getting wet.
I wish I had installed a 2nd lift.
1 isn’t enough and 2 is always better.
14’ tall door definitely.
Not enough room for a 2nd lift and will have a high door on the 3rd car.
A drain that goes to a sump you can clean out. Also a good high ceiling for the lift.
Good idea on the drain.
I'm in the process of finishing out the inside of mine. 30x48 post-frame with 12' interior ceilings and a 6:12 pitch roof so it looks more residential (we're on 1 acre in a neighborhood).

It has a 15x22 workroom with a storage deck on top, mini-split a/c unit and two in-floor heat zones (pex tubing), one for the workshop and one for the main floor. I couldn't add a bathroom without pulling permits for a complete septic system, so just did a grey-water utility sink that drains into a dry well.

es
This is part of the house so the bathroom (sink) / sewer is not an issue. We're in a neighborhood also, which is why I'm not doing a separate building.

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
larger electric panel and more amps then you think you will need.

Moose2

Military
Reaction score
10x the space.
wash rack
my old Bridgeport mill back
radiant heat
yearround water
There is more, but it’s still early and I’ve only started my coffee.