Building exhaust system

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok so Im trying to decide what to do with my exhaust setup. I currently have just a muffler delete on my 19 but I have a love-hate for it. I think its a good volume but it is slightly on the loud side inside the cabin when accelerating. Not bad but could use something. Also, I have cannot seal the part of the pipe where the tips clamp on to eliminate a leak sound. (weeping holes are sealed) So my options are to buy a full system but really don't want to spend $1000. I'm thinking of buying my own muffler, tips, and deleting the rear resonators to replicate a full new system. So my questions is what would be a good muffler to buy? I'm thinking a Magnaflow but think I would want it a touch louder than the system they sell long as it didn't drone. Thanks for any help.

If I were to buy a system I think it would be the Borla Type S if that helps.

MADDOG

Not RamForum Staff
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
If you want louder than a Magnaflow, try a Flowmaster or a shorter Magnaflow or Mufflex setup. Carven makes a nice aggressive sounding muffler as well.

Keeping the resonator will mitigate the drone issue...that's why it is there. Without one (or two on a dual system) you will hear drone regardless of what muffler is on.

ksn240

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I've got the Carven Competitor catback and love it.

Fitz-0518

Veteran 66-68
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500. 2018 1500
Engine
6.4 3.6
First muffler on my 03 5.7 was a Magnaflow. Horrible drone. Couple years later Flowmaster came out with their Hemi specific guaranteed no drone. Changed out, no drone

OP
OP
A
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you want louder than a Magnaflow, try a Flowmaster or a shorter Magnaflow or Mufflex setup. Carven makes a nice aggressive sounding muffler as well.

Keeping the resonator will mitigate the drone issue...that's why it is there. Without one (or two on a dual system) you will hear drone regardless of what muffler is on.

Most of the systems out there have no resonators on them just a single muffler ipo the stock location. That's the only reason I was thinking that.

MADDOG

Not RamForum Staff
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Most of the systems out there have no resonators on them just a single muffler ipo the stock location. That's the only reason I was thinking that.

Yeah, I noticed that too. Once the buyer purchases a catback without a resonator and puts it on an MDS equipped motor, they get drone. Been there, done that which is why I suggested leaving the stock resonators on. That's why they are there...to mitigate drone.

ksn240

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
How is your in cabin noise?
It's not that bad, but I also prefer to hear it and like it a little louder inside than most. That being said, I have two kids, 2 and 6, and they still have no trouble falling asleep in the back.

MDS is more noticeable, but I disable it most of the time.

OP
OP
A
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If I wanted to just remove some slight drone and lower the volume a touch would you guys just recommend something straight thru?

3 Inch Inlet Single Chamber Exhaust Muffler, 3" Inside Inlet Universal Stainless Steel Glasspack Fiberglass Muffler Resonator https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072C6FD5H/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_f3ZACb0AS4424

Upower Stainless Steel Round Exhaust Muffler 3" Inlet Turbine Resonator 6" x 10" Body Overall Length 14" Straight Through https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075FJFDZW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_e4ZACbC23HGGQ

Thinking something like this may take the edge off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963