Bunch of new steering parts, still have a clunk in the wheel...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey fellas, the title kind of says it, but I'll elaborate. I've got a '15 CC 2500 4x4, 6.4. After I bought the truck about a year ago, I leveled it, installed Bilstein 5100's, Bilstein double steering stabilizer and 35's on 20's. More recently I have done a Synergy drag link and tie rod, Core 4x4 track bar, Suspension Maxx sway bar links and EMF steering shaft bushings. It's aligned to Thuren specs of zero toe, and equal caster.

I still have a slight clunk on turning, stopping and bumps. I've done a couple inspections on all the installed parts to make sure everything is still tight. The ball joints seem fine when I lever against the wheels with a long 2x4. The truck doesn't wander, and the steering is relatively tight, but the clunk is driving me crazy.

I've seen potential steering shaft issues can pop up. Can anyone who has had one go bad chime in?

Thanks in advance!!

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I have the same truck and follow this board pretty closely and have never heard of a similar problem that I can remember. Not sure if you drove it stock much before the mods but it's far from perfect... especially when at full turn. My truck always feels like it's "walking" sideways at slow speeds and full wheel turn. I guess my point is maybe don't expect perfection. Maybe just drive it a bit and see what happens.

Joshua Collins

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Check the steering shaft u joint under the dash just before the firewall. Common for them to egg out and emf sells a $20 kit to fix it if you see this to be the issue. Just one place to check.

Could also pull the lower section that connects to the steering box and grease it up to see if that helps any.

Firetruck41

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 Mega Cab Hemi 5.7
Check EMF YouTube for steering shaft issue. You can buy $1 plastic bushing at hardware store and do the same thing and tighten your steering significantly... I did that as a temp fix, still works great 2 years later.

crazy jerry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
it drove fine before adding all the aftrrmarket crap on it ?