Burning smell concern, trans?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Rwgarrison23

Rwgarrison23

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So, I checked the trans fuild again on a level ground, it showing cold level when it been running for about an hour. Why is this?

HammerHead

USMC 0313
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4Runner
Engine
So, I checked the trans fuild again on a level ground, it showing cold level when it been running for about an hour. Why is this?
I think you might be low on fluid, I just went and looked at mine to be sure and the Cold setting on the dip stick is way low. You could be 2 maybe 3 quarts low. Be sure the transmission is at 168+ degrees Fahrenheit when checking the fluid. If it is start by adding 1 quart and then drive to work and back, then check again. Repeat this process until it’s reading right. Just go slow and add small amounts once you start getting close to full; Never over fill a transmission.
If your driveway is steep this could be the problem because the already low fluid sloshes to the back of the pan. Away from the pickup! Just be sure your at Full operating temperature when you check the fluid level.

HammerHead

USMC 0313
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4Runner
Engine
And I would take some videos and document the low fluid for the dealership, and be sure it gets documented that it was sold to you with low fluid.
If it does turn out to be simply low on fluid I’d consider having the fluid changed. You can have the dealership do it or I can post a simple transfusion procedure. But to be honest if it’s low I’d make the dealership do it.

OP
OP
Rwgarrison23

Rwgarrison23

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a appointment sept the 5th. Should I carefully drive until then or should i grab qt or two tomorrow? Ram dealer is not even a mile from my work but that not where i bought my truck but part wise, i can grab anything there.

HammerHead

USMC 0313
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4Runner
Engine
I have a appointment sept the 5th. Should I carefully drive until then or should i grab qt or two tomorrow? Ram dealer is not even a mile from my work but that not where i bought my truck but part wise, i can grab anything there.
If it were my truck I’d put fluid in it. I’d document the entire process for warranty related issues in the future. And I’d demand they change the fluid on the 5th.
When you were smelling the burning smell what was the transmission temperature?

OP
OP
Rwgarrison23

Rwgarrison23

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If it were my truck I’d put fluid in it. I’d document the entire process for warranty related issues in the future. And I’d demand they change the fluid on the 5th.
When you were smelling the burning smell what was the transmission temperature?

The trans temp was around maybe 160 to 175. I just checked it again as it been sitting for a hour. It reads hot. But truck not running.

HammerHead

USMC 0313
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4Runner
Engine
The trans temp was around maybe 160 to 175. I just checked it again as it been sitting for a hour. It reads hot. But truck not running.
You need to check the the fluid with the truck running in Neutral, at operating temperature and on level ground. That will give you a good reading.

OP
OP
Rwgarrison23

Rwgarrison23

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You need to check the the fluid with the truck running in Neutral, at operating temperature and on level ground. That will give you a good reading.

Shoot, I forgot all about the neutral. I checked it in park. Ill check it again tomorrow when I drive it to work. I was spoiled with the 8 speed trans in my 17 1500. Lol

OP
OP
Rwgarrison23

Rwgarrison23

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So, I checked it as soon as I arrived to work on a level ground in neutral, its showing me a little bit below the hot dotted line. I'm going to grab one quart from ram dealer just for piece of mind and fill her up some.

OP
OP
Rwgarrison23

Rwgarrison23

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

I have a video made to show what it's doing going up the hill. Its lugs bad. I'm starting to think its computer related. This site wont let me upload the video. At least I'll have it to show the dealer when I go in.

HammerHead

USMC 0313
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4Runner
Engine
I have a video made to show what it's doing going up the hill. Its lugs bad. I'm starting to think its computer related. This site wont let me upload the video. At least I'll have it to show the dealer when I go in.
Good call Sir, Document- Document- Document. Be ready in case you need it down the road. Show the mileage show the date and any other relative information.

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
So, I checked it as soon as I arrived to work on a level ground in neutral, its showing me a little bit below the hot dotted line. I'm going to grab one quart from ram dealer just for piece of mind and fill her up some.

please, do not take this wrong.

If you did not know how to properly check your transmission fluid, I do NOT recommend you add any fluid to it.

Take it to someone, you trust, who knows what they are looking at and doing.
Let them decide if the transmission needs fluid added, or not.

Just as being a pint low on fluid can affect your transimission in negative ways, so too can Over filling, even a Pint, have Consequences.

Do Nothing that can give the Dealer cause to disallow Warranty Coverage, should there actually be an issue with the transmission.

Again, my intent is not to aggravate and if my post has done so, I do sincerely apologize.
My Sole Intent is to protect you and your truck

OP
OP
Rwgarrison23

Rwgarrison23

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
please, do not take this wrong.

If you did not know how to properly check your transmission fluid, I do NOT recommend you add any fluid to it.

Take it to someone, you trust, who knows what they are looking at and doing.
Let them decide if the transmission needs fluid added, or not.

Just as being a pint low on fluid can affect your transimission in negative ways, so too can Over filling, even a Pint, have Consequences.

Do Nothing that can give the Dealer cause to disallow Warranty Coverage, should there actually be an issue with the transmission.

Again, my intent is not to aggravate and if my post has done so, I do sincerely apologize.
My Sole Intent is to protect you and your truck

I do. I checked it while it was in neutral and it was reading cold level while at 165 to 170 degrees. So, it only took half a quart to bring it to where it supposed to be hot. Then again today after a drive, I checked again, its reading at hot level. Also, when I check it, I always take a sniff, it doesnt burn or anything. So, I'm thinking its computer related and I'm going try ask for a fluid change.

Last edited:

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
I do. I checked it while it was in neutral and it was reading cold level while at 165 to 170 degrees. So, it only took half a quart to bring it to where it supposed to be hot. Then again today after a drive, I checked again, its reading at hot level. Also, when I check it, I always take a sniff, it doesnt burn or anything. So, I'm thinking its computer related and I'm going try ask for a fluid change.

Please, let us know how it it all plays out and what the culprit ends up being.

Might just help another, with the same issue, down the line,.

OP
OP
Rwgarrison23

Rwgarrison23

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Please, let us know how it it all plays out and what the culprit ends up being.

Might just help another, with the same issue, down the line,.

Will do, definitely will report back. This all could be a simple as of getting a pedal commander mod?

Killerb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Ram 2500
Perhaps leave the hood shut and drive it. If nothing is leaking then don't add tranny fluid, you just purchased truck from a dealer lot then it should be covered under warranty.

OP
OP
Rwgarrison23

Rwgarrison23

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I tried it in tow/haul mode and manual select gears but left it on 6, truck is a completely different truck.

HammerHead

USMC 0313
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4Runner
Engine
I tried it in tow/haul mode and manual select gears but left it on 6, truck is a completely different truck.
Amen Brother, I use manual mode everyday all day. In town im usually in 4th gear, it keeps that sloppy transmission Clunkyness away. I love it. When MDS kicks in the truck just bogs down real bad almost like something is wrong. So I never use it.

OP
OP
Rwgarrison23

Rwgarrison23

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Amen Brother, I use manual mode everyday all day. In town im usually in 4th gear, it keeps that sloppy transmission Clunkyness away. I love it. When MDS kicks in the truck just bogs down real bad almost like something is wrong. So I never use it.

Tow mode too or just manual select gears?

RamminMopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
IWrocker on YouTube said manual mode every day ruined his tranny on his power wagon

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963