Busted axle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Low_Sky

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
Yep that’s the general consensus just bad luck I guess and draw elk starts on Monday sure could have used my truck next week

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guessing every mating surface in the diff is trashed from debris bouncing around?

OP
OP
fbeau

fbeau

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
Guessing every mating surface in the diff is trashed from debris bouncing around?

Ya new bearing for sure I didn’t get a close look at all the surfaces. What I can say is it did turn much after the break, however looking at the fracture there is some pretty fine pieces in there.

6.7CumminsDrvr

The Dude abides………
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That sure looks like just a bad axle.......one would think a u-joint would go before the shaft would break like that

And I’ve stripped the splines on a shaft and cracked the section of the diff where the axle splines go in without the shaft breaking.......

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That sure looks like just a bad axle.......one would think a u-joint would go before the shaft would break like that

And I’ve stripped the splines on a shaft and cracked the section of the diff where the axle splines go in without the shaft breaking.......

You never know. I have seen the shaft literally twist (visible in the splines) before if breaks, and the ujoint is still fine.

DodgeDude99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins

Grand Mesa

Reaction score
The rear axle assembly that I replaced on a 1998 Chevrolet K1500 truck had those numbers stamped as
11-41 on a much older 1989 wrecking yard find. 41 ring gear teeth divided by 11 pinion teeth = 3.73 to 1 gear ratio. The glove box RPO code and the axle tag/stamp also matched. Had to check those first due getting under a wrecking yard pickup for further information can be unsafe due to they usually are not too stable. Squished parts pickers don't survive. Since as I recall a 3.42 to 1 gear ratio on my 1995 K1500 had the same amount of pinion teeth it wasn't a sure thing by just looking at the RPO code, axle tag, and by counting the pinion gear teeth after removing the pan. Needed to rotate the ring gear to see the stamp which took some additional time to properly lift the truck. Gears can be swamped out for different ratios and so it was best to be careful on getting something wrong installed.

Last edited:
OP
OP
fbeau

fbeau

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
Yep, anything is possible.......

I’d like to mention that Riverside Dodge in Melfort did an exemplary job fixing the axle issue.I hear many examples of dealerships screwing customers, but in this case they did it quickly and correctly.

OP
OP
fbeau

fbeau

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
I’d like to mention that Riverside Dodge in Melfort did an exemplary job fixing the axle issue.I hear many examples of dealerships screwing customers, but in this case they did it quickly and correctly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RedFlameRam