Busted drag link

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Richard Kim

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I was parking the truck (2016 2500 Hemi with 144K), heard a snap and the steering goes limp. Drag link is no joke. Called FCA (RAM) and they called the dealer. The dealer is taking care of everything under the recall. Thank God this did not happen on the highway.
On the flip side, wife is concerned and asked if it's time for a new truck. I looked at the current truck prices and said nope. Will drive this to 200K and then make a decision. Great truck otherwise.

drag link.jpg

crazy jerry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
There has been a recall on that for a few years, why did you not have it taken care of before?

kim must not know how a jam nut turn buckle system works. once the nut loosens all the tension is gone and things go down hill.
mosf likely hes been driving for a long time with the nut loose.
thats what happens when vehicle owners make no attempt to inspect things once in a while.
see stuff like this all the time on forums

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
There has been a recall on that for a few years, why did you not have it taken care of before? Glad no one was hurt, that could have ended very badly had you been driving.

Because the official fix from FCA is to weld everything, which means if you ever need an alignment, you have to purchase a new drag link (instead of just replacing it up front).

Yes, you can buy the updated one and get reimbursed for it, but that's extra paperwork that shouldn't have to be filled out. They should simply be doing the replacement up front.

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
kim must not know how a jam nut turn buckle system works. once the nut loosens all the tension is gone and things go down hill.
mosf likely hes been driving for a long time with the nut loose.
thats what happens when vehicle owners make no attempt to inspect things once in a while.
see stuff like this all the time on forums

Given what the issue with the 2016/2017 drag link was (improperly cut threads), I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that the nut backed off. More likely the threads pulled out finally (which is what the recall stated there was a risk of), and thankfully happened in a parking lot instead of cornering on a road.

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
I was parking the truck (2016 2500 Hemi with 144K), heard a snap and the steering goes limp. Drag link is no joke. Called FCA (RAM) and they called the dealer. The dealer is taking care of everything under the recall. Thank God this did not happen on the highway.
On the flip side, wife is concerned and asked if it's time for a new truck. I looked at the current truck prices and said nope. Will drive this to 200K and then make a decision. Great truck otherwise.

View attachment 515080
See my problem isn't the prices of new trucks. It is the packaging. It is disappointing that to buy a new 2023, in order to get a sunroof I ALSO have to get the 12" screen. I would prefer the smaller screen, because that monster screen has a higher likelyhood of reflecting sunlight into my eyes, thus making me a distracted driver. It's a safety concern.

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
For sure! Glad it happened while parking.
Before you pass final judgement, price the new truck out at Mark Dodge Ram over in Lake Charles, LA. If you're willing to order one, you can save a LOT of money off sticker.

White six four

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That could have ended badly.

You can have your truck aligned after they weld the jam nuts. I had my truck realigned twice after I bought it. The recall was done on mine before I bought it. They just grind off the welds, adjust, and re weld.

Phylodog

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 & 2018
Engine
5.7 Hemi & 6.7L CTD
Just had mine replaced under warranty today. Glad it happened while parking and not on the highway!

OP
OP
R

Richard Kim

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
For sure! Glad it happened while parking.

Before you pass final judgement, price the new truck out at Mark Dodge Ram over in Lake Charles, LA. If you're willing to order one, you can save a LOT of money off sticker.
I will definitely check them out. Appreciate the heads up.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Because the official fix from FCA is to weld everything, which means if you ever need an alignment, you have to purchase a new drag link (instead of just replacing it up front).

Yes, you can buy the updated one and get reimbursed for it, but that's extra paperwork that shouldn't have to be filled out. They should simply be doing the replacement up front.

A welded drag link is better then being killed in an accident. And Ram will install a new updated drag link if you reach out to ramcares, had mine done free of charge. They will no longer reimburse you for an aftermarket one since they are replacing them for free (and have been for almost 2 years).

EastWestHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500
Engine
6.4 w/4.10s
I had mine welded a long time ago under the “recall”, will they install an updated one on mine if I request?

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I had mine welded a long time ago under the “recall”, will they install an updated one on mine if I request?

Absolutely, contact ramcares and tell them you would like the updated drag link because you can't get an alignment with the weld. Do Not try and go through the dealer to do this, they don't have the means of making it happen and will tell you it can't be done. Ramcares will arrange to get it shipped to you dealer and get it taken care of

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
You can have your truck aligned after they weld the jam nuts. I had my truck realigned twice after I bought it. The recall was done on mine before I bought it. They just grind off the welds, adjust, and re weld.
Not according to Ram. One weld only. If you have to grind it off, the drag link must be replaced. That's how I got the updated one installed on my 18 2500.

White six four

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The ram dealership by me did it 2-3 years ago so it must vary by dealership or they changed it. I have the synergy now so hopefully no more dealership visits.

JW2 Innovations

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 2500
Engine

Actually, if yours has been welded and you need an alignment FCA will replace under recall with new version of drag link along with an alignment for free to you under the recall. Just did it a few months back. Ping Ram Cares to start the process.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Actually, if yours has been welded and you need an alignment FCA will replace under recall with new version of drag link along with an alignment for free to you under the recall. Just did it a few months back. Ping Ram Cares to start the process.

I suppose they won't replace their welded link without evidence of misalignment? Need to show abnormal front tire edge wear?

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I suppose they won't replace their welded link without evidence of misalignment? Need to show abnormal front tire edge wear?
I didn't. I took mine to an independent shop for an alignment, and they told me up front that they'd have to cut the weld but would not reweld it. That's kind of what started me down the replacement path with RamCares. But I was never asked by Ram for any evidence of needing an alignment.

JW2 Innovations

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 2500
Engine
Same here, no evidence asked for. Mine was new to me, I noticed pulling to right getting stronger about two months after I got it and contacted Ram Cares to start the process. Start to finish took a few weeks, but no cost to make it right from me. Just patience.