Buy new or used?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Certified pre-owned can be a good way to go too. Generally, those are always the cleanest, nicest used trucks a dealer gets in. And they go through and do all the maintenance, tires, etc. Usually have a longer warranty also.

Going to disagree that buying certified is always the way to go, in 2017 I traded off a 2014 Journey ( to a Dodge dealer) with 38K that needed 4-5K of rear AC work, no way did the dealer do AC repair and then have it listed for sale as certified pre owned within 24 hours of trade in and it was priced 6k over what they gave me for it....

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I think he indicateed, "Pre-owned *can* be a good way to go ...not *always* is THE way to go. Everyone knows there are always exceptions. Perhaps your dodge dealer listed your Journey, pending A/C work to be performed within a few days. That's my guess.

mdc1990zr1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Certified pre-owned can be a good way to go too. Generally, those are always the cleanest, nicest used trucks a dealer gets in. And they go through and do all the maintenance, tires, etc. Usually have a longer warranty also.
Certified pre-owned isn't always what its cracked up to be. Suppose the previous owner put the cheapest oil in after waiting for the computer to tell him to change it at a 10K oci? Or a vehicle that was leased prior with the same oci mentality.
You think you get a nice certified vehicle because the dealership does what the dealership does best, put spit-shine on it and put it on the showroom floor. It looks great, but the damage has already been done. A nice detail and fresh oil will hold the ticking hemi at bay long enough for your down payment check to clear and the title changed over in your name.
There is just too much riding on a good maintenance program for the hemi to just not be sure of the prior history.
i was in the business. Generally there is a substantial checklist that the dealer must perform from the manufacturer to certify. This is not cheap for the dealer, and it is reflected in the price you will pay.