Buy Now?...Or wait post pandemic

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
tbird71

tbird71

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
2011 has TWO unique things....LAST year for DODGE (dodge ram 1500)
and LAST year for the 5 spd (2012s were 6 spds 8 spd didn't happen until mid late 2013. The truck IS basically still in the wrapper. Old boy that bot it new garaged it and never drove it. Been garage kept since day one. I was actually going to look at a 2019 rental CC with 14K when I seen this one. It just looked so damn good I never made it to trade

I had a 2014 express single cab with the 6 spd and 9600 miles I traded them that for this for only 6K OTD and my single cab 2WD

I'll see what carvana says probably the only realistic pursuit I have is to sell it privately. One look by the prospercive buyer and he'll be as hooked as I was. I think 22500 is a fair price on this the old farts that look wont need a loan they'll pay cash. Something about a 10 year olf truck with 15K actual miles everybody wants to find something like this

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
Here's a 19 rental in billet silver with 31K (all rental miles) for 27000 which is the best deal I've found so far. Still it has TWICE the miles as my 11 with only 15K

Or am I foolish for even WANTING to trade?

Let me rephrase your question for you:

I have a very low mileage truck that is a known good. I would like to spend money to buy a truck with twice the miles that is an unknown. I want to do this for features, almost all of which I could add to my known good truck for much less money.

Do you really want to trade or are you just bored and looking for something to do? You obviously don't drive much and you could get all of the features other then the transmission for much cheaper then a new truck...and no more then you drive do you really care about the transmission?

I would not trade my used truck, that I *know* is good and how it's been driving since day 1, for someone else's used truck that I know nothing about. If I trade my used truck, it's going to be for a new truck.

Ohio5pt7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Let me rephrase your question for you:

I have a very low mileage truck that is a known good. I would like to spend money to buy a truck with twice the miles that is an unknown. I want to do this for features, almost all of which I could add to my known good truck for much less money.

Do you really want to trade or are you just bored and looking for something to do? You obviously don't drive much and you could get all of the features other then the transmission for much cheaper then a new truck...and no more then you drive do you really care about the transmission?

I would not trade my used truck, that I *know* is good and how it's been driving since day 1, for someone else's used truck that I know nothing about. If I trade my used truck, it's going to be for a new truck.
This is 100% my logic. And I trade in a LOT lol.

Sent from my KYOCERA-E6920 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
tbird71

tbird71

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well, that makes good sense.
The HEMI in my 11 is perfect....doesn't even have tappet noise for the first 30 sec-1 minute after sitting a few weeks like my 14 did anbd it was NEW

Guess it's either A. Sell the truck privately for an amount I'm comfortable with or B. Drive and enjoy it. Thanks for your opinions tho I appreciate it!

RLJ10X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Someone correct me if I'm wrong. But isn't the 5 speed and the six speed the same thing except for some software changes?

In my never to be humble opinion the 5/6 speed needs 4.10s. Having a Slap Stick helps too.

Don't beat on ithe 5/6 nonstop. Don't do full Power Downshifts, and its fine; especially with 4.10s behind it. You can regearing a 2011 a lot cheaper than you can trade up.

At age 67, if you want a new truck, buy a new truck. I wouldn't mess with some rental that been beaten on.

I still LOVE my 11. It was paid for before I ever drove it off the lot.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
Someone correct me if I'm wrong. But isn't the 5 speed and the six speed the same thing except for some software changes?

Yes. The confusion is that there are two options for 'second gear' in the 5 speed. The simplest way to think of it is that one is "2a" and the other is "2b". I don't recall the exact ratios, but I think one is 1.67:1 and the other is 1.5:1. There are 6 forward gears, but in any given run through the gears you will not use one of them.

You will shift either 1-2a-3-4-5 OR 1-2b-3-4-5.

With the 6 speed you will use all of them and shift 1-2a-2b-3-4-5.

RamminMopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I thought the other 2nd gear was for kickdowns?

Murphy Slaw

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Bighorn 4X4 Crew
Engine
If I WANTED a newer truck, I'd probably go for it now.

I have ZERO faith in the future economy after witnessing the last month or so. I expect fuel prices to triple within a year, among other things that will get completely out of control.

Pessimistically yours,

Murph.

CoastyAV8R

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4x4, 5.7, 3.92 gearing
I'm waiting, the prices will come back down and the rebates will start again in a year or two. You don't NEED a new truck, you WANT a new truck, I'm in the same boat. I have to tell myself every morning "Self, just wait..."

OP
OP
tbird71

tbird71

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I showed my 2011 to my brother in law yesterday and he thought I was nuts for even THINKING about trading....they can keep their damn pandemic trucks AND prices...I'm keepin mine

Dr. Righteous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Dad got a kill deal this year on a 2018 BigHorn with 32K miles on it. 4wd with v6, like new inside and out. $23k.
I almost flipped. That is what I paid for my Express in '16 with 48k on it. Bought it from the owner and that was private party value. My truck is a strippo compared to that BigHorn.

Car dealer are hurting and need to move inventory. Pandemic makes it a buyers market.