Buying 2008. Or should I buy -2005

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NorinRadd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I’m buying an 08 1500. But I’m wondering if the mds really makes a difference. Should I save a couple grand and buy an 05? The mds must improve economy somewhat?

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Some say it does, but honestly in a big heavy truck...most people turn it off with a tuner. Other than MDS, you have to choose between different styling (both interior and exterior) and pre Canbus or Canbus. The 08 will have fancier gadgets just because technology. The 05 will be simpler; comes down to personal preference. Don't go older than 05 if you can help it, that seems to be the year they got their **** together electronics wise.

Marley

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've never been a fan of MDS or control freaks....that's what it is.
But as mentioned, you can turn it of with a simple canned tuner.

I like simplicity myself and why I'd struggle with these new trucks, they look good but wow......give me 3rd gens.

Go for a low milage older truck and enjoy.

Fishstickz

Reaction score
Ram Year
'06, '16
Engine
3.7, 5.7 Hemi
MDS can be turned off with tuner if you really don't like it. I hear it isn't extremely helpful anyways. When I was searching for my truck I wouldn't search for any truck older than 06 because I wanted the updated interior. An added addition to getting a 2008 is AlfaOBD now supporting our CAN-bus trucks.

In my opinion, I wouldn't spend more money on an older truck. But, its purely preference.

OP
OP
N

NorinRadd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
MDS can be turned off with tuner if you really don't like it. I hear it isn't extremely helpful anyways. When I was searching for my truck I wouldn't search for any truck older than 06 because I wanted the updated interior. An added addition to getting a 2008 is AlfaOBD now supporting our CAN-bus trucks.

In my opinion, I wouldn't spend more money on an older truck. But, its purely preference.

You mean less on an older truck?

pilotcld

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 L
Just curious, as I purchased an 08 Ram 1500 recently. What is MDS and canbus? This is my first dodge truck ever

Karlsweg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Mds shuts down 8 cylinders to a four cylinder to allegedly save 10% in mpg. If you have an aftermarket exhaust it will drone.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had an 08 and loved it. They’re pretty much the same truck as the 05 but I liked the styling better on them, just not the factory tail lights on the 07/08 models. Resembled too much of the older Chibby tail lights. But that changed when I finally upgraded them to LED which ended up being the same styling as the 02-05 taillights. The MDS was practically worthless on that truck, and it made my aftermarket exhaust sound like **** but at least the good thing was, you could easily buy a tuner and turn it off completely, among other things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Just curious, as I purchased an 08 Ram 1500 recently. What is MDS and canbus? This is my first dodge truck ever

MDS has been explained lol. CAN bus is the type of computer networking it uses. Vehicles since the very late 90's have pretty much been rolling computer networks. Up through 2005 (depending on the platform) most were PCI (Peripheral Component Interconnect) bus. CAN (Controller Area Network) bus followed, allowed higher volume and faster transmission of info across the network in addition to faster calculations and control. PCI could never run complex stuff like MDS or VVT. CAN continues to be refined over time to make it more capable in each successive generation.

Fishstickz

Reaction score
Ram Year
'06, '16
Engine
3.7, 5.7 Hemi
You mean less on an older truck?
In his OP he said "save a couple of grand for an older truck" so I just interpreted that as hes got a killer deal on an 08

I believe thats what he meant but I was really tired the day I posted so I could be wrong lol

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

Did you just say that AlphaOBD is supporting the 06+ 3rd gens...? You sir, just made my day.

On topic: My vote goes for the 08 hands down. Updated interior, no cracked dash, MDS is getting turned off anyways, if its a 4.7 they got updated in 08 to like 305hp vs the 5.7 345hp (still less torque, but the updated 4.7 is much less of a dog that the older ones), plus general being newer with nicer tech, etc.