Buying a 2500 rebel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FF1899

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
OK so went to the dealer today to price up a new rebel 2500. Put it all together and looking about 81 msrp. Have a friend to get the employee ff discount which will bring it down to the s5 ad you can see on the sheet but they were pretty solid on not moving from it. I see a hold back figure also which I forgot what that is for and if that gives room to move. What should I be more realistically looking at for pricing point. Also being that the truck has to be ordered and they are thinking 4 to 6 months, what do you guys do to negotiate the trade. All the dealers said there's a ball park but we can't lock in a price because the market is moving so much. What are you guys seeing with trade ins? I just don't want to be locked into a truck then get low balled on my trade when it comes in or lose my deposit if they do.20221103_175024.jpg

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
I got an Employee Choice discount years ago on a 2007 I bought new. What I was told by 2 different dealers was that price is set by the manufacturer and they had no say over it. Not sure about any added fees or whether they cannot be negotiated

rule18

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Rebel
If you're willing to walk, tell them they can lock the trade-in value (assuming you don't F up the truck or run up crazy mileage before you turn it in LOL) or lose the sale. They're full of crap, the vehicle market is always fluctuating, they're just doing some good old fashioned CYA. You can see the range that your truck is worth on a trade (KBB or the like) and know more or less where you stand. I'm looking at the Rebel 2500 too, it seems like it's got everything I want (coming from a Rebel 1500.

OP
OP
FF1899

FF1899

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you're willing to walk, tell them they can lock the trade-in value (assuming you don't F up the truck or run up crazy mileage before you turn it in LOL) or lose the sale. They're full of crap, the vehicle market is always fluctuating, they're just doing some good old fashioned CYA. You can see the range that your truck is worth on a trade (KBB or the like) and know more or less where you stand. I'm looking at the Rebel 2500 too, it seems like it's got everything I want (coming from a Rebel 1500.
Yes the one of few things I'm deciding on is 4.10 gears (tow quite a bit that's why I have to move from the 1500 to 2500) and rear air suspension

Fatbob Frank

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
Man!
I thought the Rebel was supposed to be a cheaper option to a PW.
I ordered my 2021 Level 2 PW with ramboxes, bed management, and black wheels for $64k on the build sheet and $59K out the door...

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
$81K for a gas HD truck! ...Holy ouch. This is getting insane..

Rest assured they will screw you on trade. There is no way to tell what the used market will be in 6 months but I guarantee you will get less for it then what you would today (it's dropping quick). It truly is going to be a roll of the dice, no way to give you an honest value at this point.

OP
OP
FF1899

FF1899

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Man!
I thought the Rebel was supposed to be a cheaper option to a PW.
I ordered my 2021 Level 2 PW with ramboxes, bed management, and black wheels for $64k on the build sheet and $59K out the door...
Yup same with all my past trucks. Thanking covid greatly for this bs but kinda stuck with it needing a new truck. Used prices are even crazier

aaronedmonton

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Yup same with all my past trucks. Thanking covid greatly for this bs but kinda stuck with it needing a new truck. Used prices are even crazier
Need a new truck but willing to wait 6+ months?

Why not find a used one for sale? You would rather pay $85k+ OTD than potentially overpay for a $50k truck?

OP
OP
FF1899

FF1899

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Need a new truck but willing to wait 6+ months?

Why not find a used one for sale? You would rather pay $85k+ OTD than potentially overpay for a $50k truck?
Yes need one by spring and and ordering now will put me at spring. You won't find a higher trimmed 2500 with lower miles anywhere close to 50k unless you're going back into the 2016 to 2018 range. Living in the Salt belt I'm not going to touch something that isn't regularly coated or rust and beaten. If I wasn't prepared to spend the 80k idk keep my 2018. And continue making the regular repairs. I don't want to do that with as much as I tow and as far as I drive. If you want to play you gatta pay. Remember if nobody bought them new that you wouldn't ever find them used

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
I would not buy a HD Rebel with the low hauling and tow ratings it has, go full Power Wagon or go Off-road package on a normal 2500.
Just my 2 cents

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
I would not buy a HD Rebel with the low hauling and tow ratings it has, go full Power Wagon or go Off-road package on a normal 2500.
Just my 2 cents

What's low tow rating on a Rebel?

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
OK so went to the dealer today to price up a new rebel 2500. Put it all together and looking about 81 msrp. Have a friend to get the employee ff discount which will bring it down to the s5 ad you can see on the sheet but they were pretty solid on not moving from it. I see a hold back figure also which I forgot what that is for and if that gives room to move. What should I be more realistically looking at for pricing point. Also being that the truck has to be ordered and they are thinking 4 to 6 months, what do you guys do to negotiate the trade. All the dealers said there's a ball park but we can't lock in a price because the market is moving so much. What are you guys seeing with trade ins? I just don't want to be locked into a truck then get low balled on my trade when it comes in or lose my deposit if they do.View attachment 506016

Get a quote from Granger. It'll be very very close to the employee price you see.

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
The normal 2500 Cummins has a much better tow rating than the Rebel for some reasons , if I was worried about towing heavy at the price of the Rebel I would look to a regular 2500 is all Iam saying.

If you are buying a diesel.

CanRebel

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
OP
OP
FF1899

FF1899

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Equally equipped non rebels are towing around the same. I'm not going with diesel as much as I'd like to have one for a few reasons (price vs payload, maintenance, fuel costs currently and living where 5 months a year it's cold and snow so warm up times are a pain) I tow a trailer with our wheelers all up and down the coast in the summers only loaded up to 7 8k which the 1500 handles ok just not great or with any ease. Also going to be picking up a toy hauler this spring most likely bumper pull and probably in the 12k area I would guess loaded pending on what I get. Could use some info though for gearing if anyone else has similar. Was going to go to the 4.10 for the extra ease but how do they do on the highway both towing and not paired w the 8 speed? It will be a daily also too but any long trips not towing for the most part the old lady's grand Cherokee will be used.