Buying a Rebel - Air Suspension a must?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reverse

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I am shopping for a 2020 Rebel. Looking for opinions on whether air suspension is a must or not. Around here (the Atlanta area) there aren't that many 2020 Rebels with air suspension available.

I intend to take it off road occasionally and also tow with it a few times a year.

Thanks

19REBEL

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Rebel 4x4 Crew
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I currently own a 2019 Rebel. It is my second Ram . It has the air ride and so far I like it a lot. The ride on the freeway is great when it goes into Aero Mode. I have yet to take it off road, but I have checked the 4 wheel drive and raised the truck to the highest setting. I have only had it for 5 weeks, but so far it is awesome. I know I don't have any technical specs for towing, but there are several members who can help with that. Good luck and good.hunting on your 2020 selection.

MidTnRebel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have a 2018 Rebel with the air suspension. I also love it. But if I had read this forum before I bought I might have opted out. There are a lot of people who have had nightmares of trouble with theirs. A good portion of those live farther north with a lot colder temperatures than you would experience, and the troubles seem to be related to very cold temperatures in the majority of cases. But not all is temperature related. I wouldn't hesitate to buy one without air suspension.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

K-Dawg

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Hello, all. I haven't posted in a while, but had a recent experience relative to the ride comfort of the air suspension. I've been very critical of this system (especially because of how slow it moves and it's propensity to freeze up (not work) during very cold temperatures. However.....I recently struck a deer with my '16 Rebel, and it needed a new bumper and headlight. Insurance company took forever to approve parts, so my truck was in the garage for over 2 weeks. I rented a 19 Bighorn "Classic" to get me through the deer season here in western PA. After driving on the air-bags for 3 1/2 years, I'd forgotten exactly how a normal suspension felt, and frankly, it was like getting back into my old '79 chevy, with rear leaf springs. I could't believe how stiff and unforgiving the suspension was. Not to mention the height which made it difficult to get in and out of (compared to the lowered "Entry" position of my Rebel). Now the air suspension certainly doesn't make the Rebel ride like a Cadillac, or even my old Avalanche (which was very smooth), but it's definitely noticeably more comfortable (especially on rough country roads and Pittsburgh pot-hole streets) than the traditional spring/shock suspension on the '19 Bighorn. I don't think I could go back to a non-air-suspension truck as a full-time ride.

OP
OP
R

Reverse

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello, all. I haven't posted in a while, but had a recent experience relative to the ride comfort of the air suspension. I've been very critical of this system (especially because of how slow it moves and it's propensity to freeze up (not work) during very cold temperatures. However.....I recently struck a deer with my '16 Rebel, and it needed a new bumper and headlight. Insurance company took forever to approve parts, so my truck was in the garage for over 2 weeks. I rented a 19 Bighorn "Classic" to get me through the deer season here in western PA. After driving on the air-bags for 3 1/2 years, I'd forgotten exactly how a normal suspension felt, and frankly, it was like getting back into my old '79 chevy, with rear leaf springs. I could't believe how stiff and unforgiving the suspension was. Not to mention the height which made it difficult to get in and out of (compared to the lowered "Entry" position of my Rebel). Now the air suspension certainly doesn't make the Rebel ride like a Cadillac, or even my old Avalanche (which was very smooth), but it's definitely noticeably more comfortable (especially on rough country roads and Pittsburgh pot-hole streets) than the traditional spring/shock suspension on the '19 Bighorn. I don't think I could go back to a non-air-suspension truck as a full-time ride.

That's great info. Thanks for sharing!

19REBEL

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Rebel 4x4 Crew
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have now owned my 19 Rebel for 6 weeks. The Air Ride Suspension is great. As a daily driver I find it comfortable and suits my needs. I like the fact that I can raise it up for off road or leave it in normal or aero for daily driving. It is also nice to be able to lower it to make entry and exit easier for some of my family members. Thankfully I shouldn't have to worry about the cold temperatures affecting the system here in Phoenix.

R

Rogues Gambit

Almost a year with my '19, regular suspension and I love it.

It's only a must if you wanna lower and raise it, otherwise just get running boards, preferably go rhino

bigred2211

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 PW
Engine
I have a 2019 with the air ride. No issues so far, but as others mentioned, it moves sloooow and it limits your options to upgrade your wheels (go bigger), since you have to keep in mind that the truck could be lowered. I think, I'd opt for no air ride, if I could get a 'do-over'...just one less thing that could potentially break. Other than that, I like the way it rides.

wesplains

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Late to the party/thread. I have had my 2017 Rebel for 2 1/2 years. Really like the truck. Really like the air suspension, but would not buy it again. At 10,000 miles in July (Kansas) the air compressor went out. So my trust in the suspension is questionable. Just my experience.

rtokamp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I also have the air suspension, up north where it gets cold. Never had any issues the first winter and it is parked outside all the time. Second winter it had froze up a few time but being under warranty they replaced the compressor vac'd the system and was good for a bit. It is only an issue when it gets below -20C. But I talked to the tec and they added airline antifreeze/lubricant to the closed system and haven't had a issue since. As for towing it is really nice that the suspension auto levels after hooking up instead of the rear bumper dragging on the ground

Elkman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
If you actually take your truck off the pavement the last thing you want to add is an unnecessary complex suspension system that can breakdown and affect the ride and safety of the truck. Manufacturers want to appeal to the wife when a guy buys a truck and a softer ride is thought to make them more comfortable with the very expensive purchase.

fbeau

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
I am shopping for a 2020 Rebel. Looking for opinions on whether air suspension is a must or not. Around here (the Atlanta area) there aren't that many 2020 Rebels with air suspension available.

I intend to take it off road occasionally and also tow with it a few times a year.

Thanks

I have a 2017 and 50,000 Kms on it, I live in Saskatchewan and we have weather extremes that will wreck almost anything. Had to replace the rear air bags already,under warranty thank god. If I had my choice I would definitely stick with springs for simplicity,I also don’t like the fact that at 25 mph the truck drops back down to normal. Maybe the newer trucks don’t do this but the 17s do and that sucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bob Rosenbaum

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have a 2020 Rebel with air suspension and it's a real nice ride.

MXZGUY

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
just coming on board here. I have the 2017 air suspension also on my Rebel with almost 50,000 miles and it has been real good to me so far. I like it mostly when you have a trailer hooked up to level everything out. I always garage my truck also and live in Wisconsin>>>>>>>