Buying a Rebel, input from owners wanted

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tnine

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi All,
I’m trading in my 2014 4Runner for a 2019 Rebel. Now I have 2 kids 2 dogs, and loads of camping gear, my 4Runner just doesn’t cut it any more as the adventure mobile. I want something with more space, 33” tires, good articulation, and a locker factory. We spend a lot of weekends camping in the mountains in CO, and I do a lot of rough forest roads and mining roads. I have 33” on my 4Runner, and have yet to encounter anything I can’t get over.

I’m posting this to solicit feedback from current owners. Has anyone purchased an option they now feel is unnecessary, or feel they have an option I should definitely look at?

I’m still not quite sure if I should wait for The split tailgate, or go ahead. The 12” display is nice, but I’m not convinced it’ll be worth the extra cost. I’m also unsure about the storage in the side of the bed, since I may get a topper for the dogs.

Thanks in advance,
Todd

JD Martin

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My thoughts after a month:

1. I prefer the smaller screen, especially after realizing how many fingerprints get on the screen. This is annoying on the small screen and would be maddening on the big screen. Besides, I like the contrast between the screen and buttons.

2. Ram boxes: I decided against them for 3 reasons: first, I run a toolbox back there for working and I'd have to lose the toolbox. Second, the bed loses a lot of width and becomes more like an old step bed. Still fits a sheet of plywood but you can see there's a big difference in space. Finally, I noticed one of my inspectors that has the ram boxes, the side of his bed under the boxes is all scratched from stuff dragging on the bed.

3. Options I skipped on purpose: bling type wheels; huge sunroof (all sunroofs eventually leak and I am a melanoma survivor); air suspension (complicated); e-torque (complicated and I don't want my truck shutting off and restarting).

4. Options I would have liked to have: underseat storage; reclining rear seat; ventilated seats; bed utility rails.

Last edited:
R

Rogues Gambit

2 weeks tomorrow, do have to agree with JD there, except kinda was offered a good deal on one that had a Sunroof and the smaller tank.

I'm glad I don't have the 12', sure I could of learned it, but it's $$ saved. Also glad I don't have E-tq, same reasons as above plus I hate ASS (Auto Stop/Star) and hybrid systems, plus I wanna do a full exhaust down the line anyway

Agree w/point 4, also wish a 6.4 was offered and the factory exhaust wasn't as quite, but that's what the aftermarket's for.

Side note though, the Hemi's been around since the dawn of time it feels like, so sure if there's any issue, it can be taken care of.

Hijacking w/a quick inane question: Can I swap the 23g fuel tank for a 33 (or bigger) down the line or am I sol?

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
2 weeks tomorrow, do have to agree with JD there, except kinda was offered a good deal on one that had a Sunroof and the smaller tank.

I'm glad I don't have the 12', sure I could of learned it, but it's $$ saved. Also glad I don't have E-tq, same reasons as above plus I hate ASS (Auto Stop/Star) and hybrid systems, plus I wanna do a full exhaust down the line anyway

Agree w/point 4, also wish a 6.4 was offered and the factory exhaust wasn't as quite, but that's what the aftermarket's for.

Side note though, the Hemi's been around since the dawn of time it feels like, so sure if there's any issue, it can be taken care of.

Hijacking w/a quick inane question: Can I swap the 23g fuel tank for a 33 (or bigger) down the line or am I sol?

I believe you can add the larger tank, but the cslibration will be for the smaller tank. If you can loose some bed space, you might consider an auction tank.

chargedup78

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 E-Torque
Had my '19 Rebel since September - overall great truck however...

I bought mine off the dealer lot, had the majority of what I wanted, but here's what I would change next time

Don't get the factory tonneau cover - it has a nice look but i'm just waiting for it to fly off in high wind. It has 4 unadjustable tension latches, and it wiggles and wriggles something awful at high speeds. We just had 60mph winds here, and I thought for sure it was going to take off. I'm sure you could get another cover for a lot less aftermarket that would secure much tighter

I have the 8" U-connect with Nav - best option IMO - the 12" screen is probably what you read about having the most issues

I have the PANO Sunroof - no leaks, but my headliner has rattles. I've solved most by adding some foam where I can hear it, but I haven't read of anyone having rattles without a sunroof. I will mention to the dealer at my first oil change, otherwise I'm not going to bring it in for this issue. I've never been a must-have sunroof buyer, but I do really like having it open all the time. Its got enough tint that it lets light in but not blazing on my head, and its enjoyable at night. The truck does feel a bit more claustrophobic when the shade is closed

Next time I would get the power mirrors with BSM - I hate that with the tow package you're forced into these giant mirrors and can't get the blind spot monitoring. I don't do much towing but 3 or 4 times a year and could live without the brake controller. My truck lives outside but these mirrors would make it impossible to park in the garage even if I wanted to.

I have the E-Torque motor - so far so good. I am rarely in stop/go traffic, so its probably not saving me anything at the pump

I came from a 2006 Silverado before my Rebel, and the #1 reason I went with the Rebel over any other trim/model was the look. Things that don't make any sense to me on a $60K truck are the following, and I hope RAM improves the next time around...

1. Non power passenger seat - WTF???
2. Non heated rear seats - WTF???
3. No ventilated seats - WTF???

Bock

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Don't have the Rebel so I can't help you there. I have a 17 PW and I wish I had the Rambox. As for a topper look at Softtoper it would be great for what you need and your dogs. Easy on and off.
https://www.softopper.com/

19Jake

♕ REBEL LIFE ♕
Reaction score
Ram Year
'19 Rebel 12 HK
Engine
Rebel 12...can't go wrong :)
IMG_2591.JPG IMG_2609.JPG IMG_2634.JPG IMG_2561.JPG IMG_2646.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

Tnine

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for all the feedback everyone. I’m looking at one at my local dealership I really like. It has the tow package, no sun roof and an 8 inch display with the large fuel tank.

After some more research, I think I only really have a few requirements over the base model

* bed liner
* large fuel tank
* tow package
* 8.4 inch display with nav

They’re also running almost 10k off MSRP if I build it online. It’s going for 45k. Assuming they don’t low ball my trade in value, I’m going to be getting it pretty soon.

That softtopper looks pretty great. I’ll have to go check that out since they’re local.

Thanks everyone for your help!

jeepit

Reaction score
Ram Year
N/A
Engine
N/A
Hello Tnine,
I am looking at the same truck here in Denver. I haven’t seen any discounts online in which you get approximately 10k off MSRP if you build it online. Could you please elaborate on this build online and receive approx 10k off MSRP? I also would love to get 10k off. Thanks

OP
OP
T

Tnine

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi Jeepit,
This was at Christopher's Dodge Ram. I spoke to Hanlon O'Conner. I haven't actually made a deal, so I can't say with 100% certainty you'll get that amount off, but that's what was claimed when I spoke to them after a test drive.

OP
OP
T

Tnine

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not yet, still waiting on the wife to cool off before I go with forgiveness over permission! ;)

JohnUSA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2009 Laramie
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I've had mine for a couple weeks. No complaints yet, smile after smile, mile after mile. I think it's called sapphire trim for the interior. Storage boxes in rear. Massive center console, could house the homeless. 12" display. Heated seats, steering wheel. Specifically skipped the sunroof, air suspension, bedboxes, and eco start. Wheels are some of the easiest to clean I've ever had. I hate wheels with little nooks and crannies. I installed Linex, running boards, and window vent shades. The jury is still out on the vent shades. They are the in-channel, OEM Mopar ones. Shares the channel with the window. It trips the obstruction sensor and sends the window back down. I'm hoping when it gets warm and the sun hits 'em, it will relax the rubber a bit. Five years ago, I had a Camry Hybrid. Quiet car. Traded that in for a Santa Fe. Quieter still. The RAM is quieter than the Santa Fe. And smooth, too. Very nice trucks.

Last edited:

miketx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a '16 Rebel, but bought it used last October (only had 27k miles on it). And I lucked out....it already had the major points I wanted: 3.92 rear, large 36 gal fuel tank, sunroof....pretty much loaded. I love having the larger fuel tank, especially when towing our camper. I wouldn't have any other truck without the larger fuel tank....huge plus (especially when going camping far from civilization).

R

Rogues Gambit

Can't wait, next week, the RSB, End links and the brackets for the Running boards arrive :D

R

Rogues Gambit

I have a '16 Rebel, but bought it used last October (only had 27k miles on it). And I lucked out....it already had the major points I wanted: 3.92 rear, large 36 gal fuel tank, sunroof....pretty much loaded. I love having the larger fuel tank, especially when towing our camper. I wouldn't have any other truck without the larger fuel tank....huge plus (especially when going camping far from civilization).

Only option I regret not getting, though the smaller fuel tank isn't the end of the world now

rule18

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Rebel
I have a '17 Rebel that I ordered. I ran a tool box in the bed on previous Gen3 and Gen2 Rams, and decided to go Rambox this time. I couldn't be happier with them. Large tool caddy and towing gear on one side, power tools and whatnot (read: junk drawer) on the other.

A previous poster mentioned the lack of power passenger seat, can't speak to that since mine has power front seats x2.

I got the air suspension and haven't had any issues, and it rides great.

The spray-in bedliner is great, and no place for water to build up.

I didn't get the larger fuel tank because unless FCA has fixed the issue, when the fuel gauge reads empty apparently you've still got five or six gallons?? Maybe someone with the 32g can chime in on the '19?

Good luck, they're great trucks no matter what you get.

Last edited:

Phil19409

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I went with the Ram bedliner. The aftermarket ones use a rubber plug over the tiedowns in the bed. The ram one has a cutout for the tiedowns with a seal behind the tiedown . the rubber plugs come loose and let water go behind the bedlinder. I got a out the door price from the salesman and told him that I will take the vehicle if for that price he includles Ram non-powered running boards and the Ram bedliner. After going to the sales manager he agreeded. 2019 Laramie 4X4 5.7 hemi .

JohnUSA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2009 Laramie
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I've had mine for a couple weeks. No complaints yet, smile after smile, mile after mile. I think it's called sapphire trim for the interior. Storage boxes in rear. Massive center console, could house the homeless. 12" display. Heated seats, steering wheel. Specifically skipped the sunroof, air suspension, bedboxes, and eco start. Wheels are some of the easiest to clean I've ever had. I hate wheels with little nooks and crannies. I installed Linex, running boards, and window vent shades. The jury is still out on the vent shades. They are the in-channel, OEM Mopar ones. Shares the channel with the window. It trips the obstruction sensor and sends the window back down. I'm hoping when it gets warm and the sun hits 'em, it will relax the rubber a bit. Five years ago, I had a Camry Hybrid. Quiet car. Traded that in for a Santa Fe. Quieter still. The RAM is quieter than the Santa Fe. And smooth, too. Very nice trucks.
Happy to report that the OEM in channel vent shades are working out ok. Seems like they just needed some time for the window seal to adjust to them.