Buying a Trailer - Advice Appreciated

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Exdeus

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 RAM 2500
Engine
Cummins
Hey all! I see there are quite a few posts similar to mine through here, but they all had a bit of variation from my question.

I am looking to purchase a travel trailer to travel through the US with. To be frank, I have never towed before, nor has anyone I am close with, so figured this may be the place the turn. The tow vehicle is a RAM 1500 with some modifications. I am looking to try and understand what I should be looking at for max weight for the travel trailer. My owners manual/model states I can tow up to 8,000 pounds. However, I will at some points be navigating mountains and desert terrain (on road) as my goal is to travel all the national parks. It will only be towed for these events and other trips. They will be long road trips, but it is also my daily driver which does not involve towing.

My truck:

RAM 1500 V8 Hemi
3.21 Gear Ratio
Heavy Duty Transmission Cooler, Engine Cooler
32 gallon gas tank
Class IV Receiver Hitch
Modified suspension - Icon Vehicle Dynamics 2.0
Nitto Ridge Grappler E Rated Tires

It does NOT have a trailer brake, but I imagine I can pretty easily install that module in the truck?

In terms of weight in cab, it would be my wife and I (me @ 250, her at 170) and two dogs, about 100 pounds total. I have a rack on the back of the truck mounted to the bed that weighs 70 pounds.

My questions:

• How close to the max factory recommended tow weight is safe? Can I safely move 7,500 pounds gross on highway and varied road conditions?
  • Is length a factor in safety and towing, or is it primarily weight?
  • Are air bags typically necessary for the rear to prevent sagging? (I HATE the sagging look).
  • Is the trailer brake necessary and should it be installed for towing a travel trailer in the 5,000 - 7,500 pound range?
  • (Edit added this question) How does tongue weight work? I know goal is to have more weight on tongue to prevent death swaying of trailer. Whats target percentage on tongue/hitch? 10-15%?

I may also move a tent on the back of the truck, which weights about 170lbs from time to time. The goal is to use the travel trailer as a "base camp" when hiking, biking or offroading with the truck and have a shower and shelter to come back to.

Appreciate your help in advance as I start looking!

Last edited:

AFMoulton

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Lots of good questions and lots of people here with varying information.

1. Trailer Brake Controller is a must, and you can do the install yourself, but will need the dealer to flash the code into your system. Code is XHC.

2. With what you want to do and where you want to go, I would try to keep the Gross Trailer weight below 7000lbs.

3. Length is a factor, think of the travel trailer as a GIANT SAIL behind your truck and any variation in wind will move it around.

4. Get a good set of airbags, either Timber Grove ASAM, or the Firestone HD bags for the springs, that will help immensely in load.

5. Buy a very good Weight Distribution hitch, with sway control, and spend sometime learning how to set it up properly, then take a day and go to a Truck Scale and adjust it properly.

The truck with 8sp is extremely capable of towing any trailer in the weight range you are looking at. Below are some pictures of my set up, not super long trips but did well. First was my ‘16 1500 3.21s trailer was Keystone Hideout 26BHSWE. Weighed 7800lbs loaded up. Second was the upgrade trailer we bought, it weighs 10,320lbs loaded up, which is why we stepped up to a 2500.188e35986dee950a74f6bc6ef3a0c259.jpg7280d11ec7ed80aad8e2a5382669bb87.jpgb3ac4a263e46c9d2fb23c04da3919a97.jpgb0e8763a9674455fbc34a264ad487585.jpg

2018 2500 6.4 4x4 4.10 Amsoil SS 0w-40, Softopper
Black Rhino Armory 18x9 +12mm
Cooper St MAXX LT295/70R18

2016 Durango 5.7 AWD 3.07 Amsoil SS 4 Qts 5W-30 and 3 Qts 0W-40
1996 Nissan Altima 2.4 Amsoil SS 5W-30

Last edited:

Fitz-0518

Veteran 66-68
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500. 2018 1500
Engine
6.4 3.6
Eedus, great questions on your post. I have found that AFMoulton above and others are great resources for our towing questions. They have done more than I for longer. Will just share a couple thoughts that you may find helpful.
Great rig, engine and trans for what you intend to do. Given that you will be towing up and down grade in the national parks, "I" would stay below max tow rate. I have found that "the other stuff" we take/pack with us adds up to more weight than we think. I would also consider air bags as one of my first mods. I use E Trailer on line for most of my after market and equipment needs. Over the years they have been very helpful and I have found their product/parts quality to be very good. Fitz

OP
OP
E

Exdeus

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 RAM 2500
Engine
Cummins
Lots of good questions and lots of people here with varying information.

1. Trailer Brake Controller is a must, and you can do the install yourself, but will need the dealer to flash the code into your system. Code is XHC.

2. With what you want to do and where you want to go, I would try to keep the Gross Trailer weight below 7000lbs.

3. Length is a factor, think of the travel trailer as a GIANT SAIL behind your truck and any variation in wind will move it around.

4. Get a good set of airbags, either Timber Grove ASAM, or the Firestone HD bags for the springs, that will help immensely in load.

5. Buy a very good Weight Distribution hitch, with sway control, and spend sometime learning how to set it up properly, then take a day and go to a Truck Scale and adjust it properly.

The truck with 8sp is extremely capable of towing any trailer in the weight range you are looking at. Below are some pictures of my set up, not super long trips but did well. First was my ‘16 1500 3.21s trailer was Keystone Hideout 26BHSWE. Weighed 7800lbs loaded up. Second was the upgrade trailer we bought, it weighs 10,320lbs loaded up, which is why we stepped up to a 2500.

Awesome - thank you for the information! I love the 2500, wish I had gone that route, but next one will be. Thanks again!

Ohio5pt7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Hey all! I see there are quite a few posts similar to mine through here, but they all had a bit of variation from my question.

I am looking to purchase a travel trailer to travel through the US with. To be frank, I have never towed before, nor has anyone I am close with, so figured this may be the place the turn. The tow vehicle is a RAM 1500 with some modifications. I am looking to try and understand what I should be looking at for max weight for the travel trailer. My owners manual/model states I can tow up to 8,000 pounds. However, I will at some points be navigating mountains and desert terrain (on road) as my goal is to travel all the national parks. It will only be towed for these events and other trips. They will be long road trips, but it is also my daily driver which does not involve towing.

My truck:

RAM 1500 V8 Hemi
3.21 Gear Ratio
Heavy Duty Transmission Cooler, Engine Cooler
32 gallon gas tank
Class IV Receiver Hitch
Modified suspension - Icon Vehicle Dynamics 2.0
Nitto Ridge Grappler E Rated Tires

It does NOT have a trailer brake, but I imagine I can pretty easily install that module in the truck?

In terms of weight in cab, it would be my wife and I (me @ 250, her at 170) and two dogs, about 100 pounds total. I have a rack on the back of the truck mounted to the bed that weighs 70 pounds.

My questions:

• How close to the max factory recommended tow weight is safe? Can I safely move 7,500 pounds gross on highway and varied road conditions?
  • Is length a factor in safety and towing, or is it primarily weight?
  • Are air bags typically necessary for the rear to prevent sagging? (I HATE the sagging look).
  • Is the trailer brake necessary and should it be installed for towing a travel trailer in the 5,000 - 7,500 pound range?
  • (Edit added this question) How does tongue weight work? I know goal is to have more weight on tongue to prevent death swaying of trailer. Whats target percentage on tongue/hitch?

I may also move a tent on the back of the truck, which weights about 170lbs from time to time. The goal is to use the travel trailer as a "base camp" when hiking, biking or offroading with the truck and have a shower and shelter to come back to.

Appreciate your help in advance as I start looking!
My camper weights in @ 5807 dry it is 26 ft long. I have the same set up as you buy I installed the trailer brake which was pretty easy. Fully loaded I would say the camper was closer to 7k. With that said my truck has plenty to pull and stop it but if you've never had to tow before controlling a 7k lb trailer in a 5500lb truck sucks on a windy day. I have the weight distribution hitch and sway bar as well. Also imo if you want anything heavier that you are going to tow often you should buy a diesel.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Ohio5pt7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
This is the max I would want to do any sort of distance with 20190511_104057.jpeg

Ohio5pt7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Agreed, I am looking about that or smaller. I have primarily been looking between 20 and 27 feet. That one looks to be what, 31 feet?
It's a 263bhxl or 26 footer. Towed it back from the campground memorial day and the wind made it a really "fun experience" lol. Granted that wind later produced 13 tornadoes in my area so it was extreme but like others have said it's a giant wind sail and in the end it's going to put you where it wants you for a short amount of time. Me personally I would never want my first towing experience to be with anything like this. But some of us aren't that fortunate not to have to learn the literal hard way.

AFMoulton

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Awesome - thank you for the information! I love the 2500, wish I had gone that route, but next one will be. Thanks again!

Absolutely! Finding a good lightweight trailer will be step one. Keystone has some good brands that are lightweight, also look at Grand Design, they make really good stuff, but pricey

Knight King

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500
Engine
6 cly
Brake Controller and weight distribution/sway bar for sure!! Even with the sway bars on a windy day sometimes my heart is in my butt! I pull a 24 footer KZ connect about 5500lbs dry. Add the extra passengers and all your gear, as well if your filling your water tank before you leave (sometimes people do) if you need to. More weight harder on the vehicle. Enjoy what ever you get and Happy Camping!

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
5.7 Hemi Big Horn, 6.4L Hemi 3500 Longhorn Mega cab
My $0.02 cents....

I've posted I tow 2015 Keystone Hideout 260LHS....almost 30ft over all. Me the wife, 3 kids, two dogs, in my Bighorn with the same as you except no modified suspension. Loaded our travel trailer with a weight distribution hitch with the integrated anti-sway/tension bars, my trailer weighed in at a little over 5510lbs or so if I remember. My gross is 7600lbs for the trailer.

I upgraded to XL rated all terrain tires with a better sidewall, and Timber Grove ASAMs (air assist spring) to stabilize the truck when I tow. I didn't like the porpoising I had when I towed so I added the air springs.

If I didn't have the kids, and it was me the wife and the doggos, I would down size the trailer to a Keystone Bullet Premier 22RBPR. I like the floorplan and the construction is what I would consider well done with aluminum framing with their specs. It's lightweight and has a nice looking fit and finish.

Biggest thing would be the size/length and overall weight. I was worried about weight more than anything and everything we needed for the trailer still didn't come close to adding a huge load of stuff(my wife is particular with purchasing the items needed). We don't run with any fresh water in the tanks, because there are hook ups where we go.

Get the trailer brake installed, the OEM works very good for the Rams. The right weight distribution hitch with built in anti-sway is something I consider a must. Any air springs assists is an added benefit to stabilize the way your truck handles.

I am still a novice when it comes to towing, but I have learned a lot from the more experienced campers/travel trailer owners that do it more often. From setting up your WDH and being safe, there is a good amount of knowledge here. Your payload and tow rating is going to determine a lot of how you are going to run. Your tongue weight is going to go against your payload, so keep in mind where you want to put the majority of your items too.

upload_2019-5-31_18-33-36.png

OP
OP
E

Exdeus

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 RAM 2500
Engine
Cummins
Alright folks. Went and looked today. Saw a bunch of nice trailers. Need some quick advice. We have settled on one to two trailers potentially. Both are at 7,000 pounds gross vehicle weight. The only area of concern I have is they are 27' and 30' long. I swear we went with the intention of getting a 20 - 27' trailer, but for the price and room, these were great. Any other numbers I should be worried about here or looking into prior to making the purchase? I will be purchasing a weight distribution hitch as well as an anti-sway bar for it.

What other numbers do I need to watch for here before I purchase? I do not want to purchase and have no way to tow this.

The two trailers we are looking at are:

Venture RV Stratus SR271VRS (hitch weight 610 pounds) or the Venture RV Stratus 231VRB (hitch weight 560).

In checking my math, it looks like my RAM the GCWR is 13,800. According to the charts on the towing guides, my vehicle sits in about 5365 (not weighed). Front is 3105 and rear is 2260 with a max of 3,900 on each. If the hitch weight is 560 - 610, that should keep me well under the max weight for the axles, as well as about 1,000 pounds under GCWR. Does my math check out here at all, or am I missing some items?

Any issues towing a trailer that could potentially weight more than the truck towing it?

Thank you!!

Last edited:

Ohio5pt7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
If you dont need the extra room I'd get the smaller one. Less weight and 3 ft will make a difference towing. Truck will be able to tow either but longer and heavier just means harder to control and harder on your truck.

AFMoulton

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Alright folks. Went and looked today. Saw a bunch of nice trailers. Need some quick advice. We have settled on one to two trailers potentially. Both are at 7,000 pounds gross vehicle weight. The only area of concern I have is they are 27' and 30' long. I swear we went with the intention of getting a 20 - 27' trailer, but for the price and room, these were great. Any other numbers I should be worried about here or looking into prior to making the purchase? I will be purchasing a weight distribution hitch as well as an anti-sway bar for it.

What other numbers do I need to watch for here before I purchase? I do not want to purchase and have no way to tow this.

The two trailers we are looking at are:

Venture RV Stratus SR271VRS (hitch weight 610 pounds) or the Venture RV Stratus 231VRB (hitch weight 560).

In checking my math, it looks like my RAM the GCWR is 13,800. According to the charts on the towing guides, my vehicle sits in about 5365 (not weighed). Front is 3105 and rear is 2260 with a max of 3,900 on each. If the hitch weight is 560 - 610, that should keep me well under the max weight for the axles, as well as about 1,000 pounds under GCWR. Does my math check out here at all, or am I missing some items?

Any issues towing a trailer that could potentially weight more than the truck towing it?

Thank you!!

Make sure you add up anything you are planning to carry in the truck. If you have the time, load up everything you think you might need in the truck or plan to have in the truck, to include your wife, then add about ~100lbs for the hitch, and weigh it at a scale. If you are still under your GVWR for the truck with room to spare then you are good.

Remember hitch weight is without batteries or full propane tanks, that’s what they tell you. My big trailer had an advertised hitch weight of 995, after I loaded it up and had the front storage area loaded with the stuff I needed, my two 6v batteries and my two full propane tanks, it was actually 1456lbs......

I think I got your questions.

Also, it’s easier to pull the weight than carry it, so if you can shift some of that weight to the trailer and off the GVWR of the truck then you are golden!

AFMoulton

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
On another note, I like the SR271VRS personally.

Add about 124 lbs for the two 20# Propane tanks and one decent 12v deep cycle battery to the tongue weight. Then assume another 250-300lbs in the front storage for tools, hoses, drain hoses, jack pads, and other odds and ends.

So tongue weight goes from 610 dry to ~1000lbs quick!

I also sent you a PM.

OP
OP
E

Exdeus

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 RAM 2500
Engine
Cummins
On another note, I like the SR271VRS personally.

Add about 124 lbs for the two 20# Propane tanks and one decent 12v deep cycle battery to the tongue weight. Then assume another 250-300lbs in the front storage for tools, hoses, drain hoses, jack pads, and other odds and ends.

So tongue weight goes from 610 dry to ~1000lbs quick!

I also sent you a PM.

Thank you! Hopefully my last question, how does payload factor into all of this? My truck is rated at 1,530. That seems pretty damn low if you add in the hitch weight, plus my wife, dogs and I. I could see us rapidly exceeding that or at least hitting that. Am I off in how I am looking at that?

AFMoulton

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Thank you! Hopefully my last question, how does payload factor into all of this? My truck is rated at 1,530. That seems pretty damn low if you add in the hitch weight, plus my wife, dogs and I. I could see us rapidly exceeding that or at least hitting that. Am I off in how I am looking at that?

Nope you are correct, hitch weight, tongue weight, you, wife, dogs, whatever sh*t your wife decides to pack in, whatever stuff you throw in the bed, whatever stuff is already in your truck. All adds up, and quick.

OP
OP
E

Exdeus

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 RAM 2500
Engine
Cummins
Well ****, are you guys just basically running at payload or slightly over? I saw multiple 1500's at my last camp site all pulling 27' trailers. I find it hard to believe they were under 1,530 pounds payload with a family of four and the stuff in the beds of their trucks. Hmm...that is the only number s far out of all the numbers I've ran that seems to not work out for me. I am basically at 1,550 on a payload of 1,530 according to the book, assuming 610 for tongue weight + 400 pounds for batteries, propane and hoses.

AFMoulton

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Well ****, are you guys just basically running at payload or slightly over? I saw multiple 1500's at my last camp site all pulling 27' trailers. I find it hard to believe they were under 1,530 pounds payload with a family of four and the stuff in the beds of their trucks. Hmm...that is the only number s far out of all the numbers I've ran that seems to not work out for me. I am basically at 1,550 on a payload of 1,530 according to the book, assuming 610 for tongue weight + 400 pounds for batteries, propane and hoses.

Yep that is exactly why I went to a 2500. My 1500 had a payload if 1870, with my smaller trailer I was right there!

My 2500, has a payload of 3680, so way better!

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
5.7 Hemi Big Horn, 6.4L Hemi 3500 Longhorn Mega cab
I like the looks of the 231VRB. You, your wife and the puppers you might be well served there, but I'm not you and you have your preferences. Either of those you listed should do well for you. If you are new to towing, the 231VRB will give you a little more wiggle room then the longer, heavier 271VRS as far as your load out and gear you can carry with you.

You will probably be surprised at how much you won't take with you, we loaded ours up and only added about 400lbs of stuff...

Last edited: