Buying guide for 5th Gen ram

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

maverick69

Reaction score
Ram Year
I am looking at buying a used 5th gen ram. I have my eyes on a 2019 big horn crew cab long box with 24k miles.

I looked through the forum but didn't find what I was looking for.

Besides the leaking rear window issue are there any other known issues I should be on the lookout for? Any inspections I should specifically make when looking at these trucks?

I appreciate any insight.

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
If a 1500, air suspension can be problematic in cold climates. uConnect can be glitchy.

KeithP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT
Check the build date. You’ll find it on the drivers door frame. I’d stay away from any built in the first six months of production. Mine was built in 04/19. 41k on it now. Zero problems.

drclassic

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Classic
Engine
3.6 V6 3.55
Here is a new truck inspection checklist for the Ram 1500:

- overall cosmetics such as scratches, bumps, blemishes, etc.
- look for paint mottling or swirls
- paint missing on door jambs, tailgate sides, etc.
- any water damage inside from leaking brake light, back window, or vents
- seal condition around windows, doors
- body panels alignment (is bed lined up?)
- check the roof
- tire condition/spare tire
- tire jack
- all fluid levels (especially oil)
- sound of engine cold and also warm idle
- test drive
- 4wd operation
- rear end matches sticker?

Some of it may be useful for used vehicles.

LugsLeadOut84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I had an early-built 2019 and have a 2022 now. The 2019 had a handful of recalls (only 1 critical regarding the seat belt retractor), but I didn't have any issues with the truck as a whole. Paint was good, door/window seals were fine.
My prior 2012 had the poor headlights and weak A/C but the '19 had the new headlights and the A/C was fine in my opinion.
Maybe I'm lucky, but each of my RAMs since 2012 never experienced the leaking brake light, Hemi tick or any other infamous issues. I guess that's why I keep buying them.

I truly think it's a crap-shoot. Out of hundreds of thousands of anything manufactured - electronics to vehicles, a certain percentage will have some issues. As long as they are fixed, that's what counts to me.

OP
OP
M

maverick69

Reaction score
Ram Year