Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

radkawi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
If you follow the OP you should have no issues. If you run into any issues shoot me a message and I’ll see if I can help

Thanks for the offer sir! All went off without a hitch. Well, for the most part. Had to figure out a way to support the trans to get to the bottom nut for the xfer case stud. Used some wood blocks to support on the crossmember after removing the transmission mount to gain access. From there it was a breeze. Installed the switch and used Alpha about 30 mins before done to give it time to accept the change. Started it and gave the 4x4 system a test run. All performs, engages and disengages error free, as it should. Front driveshaft unlocks and couldn't be happier with the outcome. Thanks for paving the way and letting us all know this works!

SW1.jpg

OP
OP
M

Moparman16

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks for the offer sir! All went off without a hitch. Well, for the most part. Had to figure out a way to support the trans to get to the bottom nut for the xfer case stud. Used some wood blocks to support on the crossmember after removing the transmission mount to gain access. From there it was a breeze. Installed the switch and used Alpha about 30 mins before done to give it time to accept the change. Started it and gave the 4x4 system a test run. All performs, engages and disengages error free, as it should. Front driveshaft unlocks and couldn't be happier with the outcome. Thanks for paving the way and letting us all know this works!

View attachment 151041

Its fantastic to hear that the swap worked for someone else and on an 8 speed truck to boot!

Luis dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for the great info. My t case clutch went up in smoke and I been thinking about this swap but the software part always worried me since I never messed with it but it sound fairly easy.

OP
OP
M

Moparman16

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks for the great info. My t case clutch went up in smoke and I been thinking about this swap but the software part always worried me since I never messed with it but it sound fairly easy.
It is a fairly straight forward swap if you are even a little mechanically inclined. Best of all your ending setup works as if your truck came from the factory with a 44-45

Luis dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a question on the part where you select the new t case once in that menu. Did you mean 4446 synchro mesh or did you mean 4445 synchromesh. I'm waiting for things to arrive I just want to double check. Thanks for the write btw.

OP
OP
M

Moparman16

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have a question on the part where you select the new t case once in that menu. Did you mean 4446 synchro mesh or did you mean 4445 synchromesh. I'm waiting for things to arrive I just want to double check. Thanks for the write btw.
You select 4446 synchro mesh.

AlfaOBD doesn’t always give you an option for 44-45 as the transfer case type. However, once you select 4446 synchro mesh it will list 44-45 as the transfer case type along with a few other models of transfer case. We are assuming that this is because the 44-45 and 44-46 are controlled the same by the bcm.

ManualCummins

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Just for your information eight 44–46 is a manually shift transfer case

Last edited:

Ken226

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I ordered a 44-45 from ebay for $250 shipped and a 3 position switch for $50.

I'll be swapping out the 44-44 as soon as the parts arrive.

Ive been getting along fine with the 44-44, but will be happier not having to worry about the rear digging-in before the front starts pulling.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Ive been getting along fine with the 44-44, but will be happier not having to worry about the rear digging-in before the front starts pulling.

If you jumped ship, there is no one left lol

Im "stuck" with MaxCare Lifetime, so my 44-44 stays put I guess. Ashame I havent really been able to use it much anyway, I still think if I get used to it working differently, it would work out just fine for me. But I wont know for sure until I get to try and there just hasnt been much snow this year.

Ken226

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I was just getting ready for my first transfer case service, and given the cost of the oil and concern about the condition of the clutch pack, compared to the relative low cost of the 44-45 swap, i decided to go for it.

Ill be into it for about $400 including the alphaobd, and thats before i i sell the 44-44.

I think ill be more confident with the 44-45 given some of the places i drive up in the cascades.

radkawi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I was just getting ready for my first transfer case service, and given the cost of the oil and concern about the condition of the clutch pack, compared to the relative low cost of the 44-45 swap, i decided to go for it.

Ill be into it for about $400 including the alphaobd, and thats before i i sell the 44-44.

I think ill be more confident with the 44-45 given some of the places i drive up in the cascades.

Agree it is a low cost swap. For my use, the 44-45 is perfect. You'll feel so much more confident in your trucks ability once complete.

radkawi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
If you jumped ship, there is no one left lol

Im "stuck" with MaxCare Lifetime, so my 44-44 stays put I guess. Ashame I havent really been able to use it much anyway, I still think if I get used to it working differently, it would work out just fine for me. But I wont know for sure until I get to try and there just hasnt been much snow this year.

I have a RAM ext warranty plan and the dealer is aware of the swap. It's lifted and I had them help change to 3.92. Bought the gears from them and dropped a used front section with the 3.92s in the case to install at the same time. I am on good ground with them as they perform all my maintenance and such but when it comes down to it, if I had major issues I'm not sure where they would be on a warranty for these components but since they are currently cheap to harvest from wrecks, I assume they will be in the future. Not difficult to install either. I had them do the front at the same time as the rear as I wanted them to KNOW they are balance in 4x4. Works for me anyway...

Last edited:

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If I could get it to work without changing the switch, I would consider it. The switch is the easiest to notice that the case has been changed.

If anyone has time to try it, use the 44-44 switch with the 44-45 case after using Alfa to change the tcase type. Curious if it will still function correctly.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

radkawi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
If I could get it to work without changing the switch, I would consider it. The switch is the easiest to notice that the case has been changed.

If anyone has time to try it, use the 44-44 switch with the 44-45 case after using Alfa to change the tcase type. Curious if it will still function correctly.

Hmm, hadn't thought of that. I just bought a bone yard switch and installed the night I swapped out the xfer case. I have my old switch still and plan to work on wiring some lights, maybe this weekend. If I get to the truck project I'll take the few minutes to pop it in and run through the functions to see what happens.

Ken226

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Id be a little worried about trying it with the 4 position switch.

It isnt a simple continuity switch, but a circuit that that commands the stepper motor on the transfer case to move to a specific position.

Id hate to have the bcm get confused and ruin something by stopping the shift fork somewhere it shouldnt be. It likely wouldnt hurt anything, maybe testing it with the stepper off the case would be prudent.

The replacement switch module is identical in look, fit and function, just has different internal electronics and 1 fewer position.

If your concerned that the replacement switch wont fit into the dash right, will look cobbled together or something, thats not a concern. Its fit is physically identical.

If your worried that selling the truck in the future may be tougher because its missing the 4 auto position, thats a valid concern. But, even if it still had the 4 auto switch with a 44-45 tc installed, i would disclose that fact to a potential buyer.

If your worried about the dealer noticing and denying warranty claims, im sure it would be simple to put the 3 position board inside the 4 position switch housing.

Last edited:

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah it would be the warranty thing more than anything else.

I didn't think about swapping the boards, thats a great idea.

radkawi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
V
Id be a little worried about trying it with the 4 position switch.

It isnt a simple continuity switch, but a circuit that that commands the stepper motor on the transfer case to move to a specific position.

Id hate to have the bcm get confused and ruin something by stopping the shift fork somewhere it shouldnt be. It likely wouldnt hurt anything, maybe testing it with the stepper off the case would be prudent.

The replacement switch module is identical in look, fit and function, just has different internal electronics and 1 fewer position.

If your concerned that the replacement switch wont fit into the dash right, will look cobbled together or something, thats not a concern. Its fit is physically identical.

If your worried that selling the truck in the future may be tougher because its missing the 4 auto position, thats a valid concern. But, even if it still had the 4 auto switch with a 44-45 tc installed, i would disclose that fact to a potential buyer.

If your worried about the dealer noticing and denying warranty claims, im sure it would be simple to put the 3 position board inside the 4 position switch housing.

Valid point! Scratch that plan. I'll leave well enough alone.

OP
OP
M

Moparman16

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi

Thats a good deal on the t-case and switch. Good luck with the swap. If you run into any issues along the way feel free to shoot me a message and I'll see if I can help.