Bye Bye Power Wagon

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Yardbird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The aluminum blocks in those engines do not have liners in them. They are cast, then plasma sprayed into the cylinders, which is then honed to size.

Low tension rings are installed to reduce piston drag. These two things are the main reason for oil useage.

Some people love their 5.0, others don't. I've never owned one, just read many threads about them. I do know the 5.0 is the base engine that comes standard in the lower trims.

But, I also now own a base engine in my Ram, and for the short time I've owned it, I like it.

Grand Mesa

Reaction score
There's a thread somewhere on the forum for that. It sounds like a pain in the ass. The ford comes with a 36 gallon tank. I've been at a vehicle accident with the fire department where the whole cab sheared off the frame. Aluminum construction. Cab was solid though.
It doesn't take even a vehicle accident to damage the Ford's aluminum construction. I drove a brand new 2016 Ford 4x4 working for the Colorado Parks back in 2016. Within a week of driving it I had to report damaging the truck due to I got out of it on an incline. A full 14 oz can of Hornet and Wasp spray rolled down off of the bench seat from the passenger side when I opened the door. It hit on the bottom edge of the steel can puncturing through the lower door frame. Could put my thumb into the indentation.

OP
OP
thkbaron

thkbaron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
The aluminum will be nice hear in the salty white north though. I'm sure I'll have little things hear and there. Pay this one off and then find something new if I need to. I've got it warrantied past the loan date so I'll be good.

farout75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 L
Yeah I’ve been driving my Indian to work. I still need something somewhat reliable for fishing trips and going hunting but not the wagon unfortunately. My wife has a car payment too so I’ll take the hit on my end. She loves her ride.
Our only vehicle is our 17 RAM 1500 with 3;(2 gear ratio. The 5.7 is a great engine. We have 14 more payment and have almost 112,000 miles on it. We have gone by the book and maintained it well. We just put brakes on it. But before we bought it we knew things would never get less expensive. However 9% inflation is not what we even dreamed of. To trade it on a better MPG vehicle would cost a lot and even if I got a really good trade in price, no matter how you do the math the cheapest vehicle to own is the one you are half way paying for. these vehicle dealers have us over a barrel. I will not get sucked in to buying another vehicle. The used car bubble is now happening and buying any vehicle with 100,000 miles is just stupid. I never would ever consider buying any vehicle with 100,00 miles and now dealers are full of these high mileage vehicle and asking three froths of what they were new. And some vehicle with low miles are asking for more than new ones. This is beyond insane! Beware if you buy now you will own that "dead horse" for a long time.

UTAHPWRWGN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Didn't you just do this same thing...buying and then selling a PW only to buy another PW?

OP
OP
thkbaron

thkbaron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
S
Didn't you just do this same thing...buying and then selling a PW only to buy another PW?
Sure did. Went from a Chevy 1/2 ton for an 18 Wagon a couple years ago. "Made" money on the 18 as they paid me 8 more than I paid for it. I'm getting almost exactly what I paid for the 22 now so I'm not really out a whole lot. No taxes on the used one because mine is worth more and I'm getting alot of extras on the used for so losing the tires and wheels is a wash as I'll be gaining others. The price on the Ford was actually quite reasonable considering the market and yes that's the plan to keep it for a while. As stated earlier. I simply just don't need such an expensive truck that I'll rarely ever use for it's intended purpose.

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just be aware of the plasma sprayed in cylinder liners with the low-tension rings, they have been known on the first models for 2018 to be oil users, ford tried to put in a longer dip stick in and add i more qt of motor oil, and finally did some reprograming of the throttle body so it wouldn't suck oil when downshifting, and also replaced the pvc for being a problem, dealers would mark the dip stick and would monitor the oil usage for short block replacement, I know a couple of my friends that got cought up with this dreadful 5.0

OP
OP
thkbaron

thkbaron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Hopefully mine isn’t one. See what happens

Westwind1124a

Reaction score
Ram Year
2024 ZR2Hd
Engine
6.6 Duramax
The aluminum will be nice hear in the salty white north though. I'm sure I'll have little things hear and there. Pay this one off and then find something new if I need to. I've got it warrantied past the loan date so I'll be good.
I think my parents expedition is a 2015. The aluminum has not faired well in the Maine winters at all. lots of blistering on the rear hatch especially.

Reactions: U&A

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
I can tell you the aluminum corodes worse than steel here in Alberta. When it gets to minus 20, salt pretty much goes inert on steel, doesn't seem to on aluminum.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
I do know the 5.0 is the base engine that comes standard in the lower trims.

It is not. It's the mid-line engine. Ford's progression is 3.3 V6 -> 2.7 EB -> 5.0 -> 3.5 -> 3.5 high output or 3.5 Powerboost

The 3.3L naturally aspirated V6 is the base motor in the lower trim trucks (XL and XLT), the 2.7L EB is the cheaper upgrade, the 5.0L is the most expensive upgrade.

Once you get to the Lariat, the 2.7L is standard with the 5.0 and 3.5 upgrades as mid and high upgrades, respectively

The King Ranch and Platinum have the 5.0 as standard and the 3.5L EB as the upgrade. 2023 starts the Tremor having the 5.0 as standard, whereas before it was a 3.5 standard

The Limited and Raptor have the high output 3.5L EB as standard.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
There's a thread somewhere on the forum for that. It sounds like a pain in the ass. The ford comes with a 36 gallon tank. I've been at a vehicle accident with the fire department where the whole cab sheared off the frame. Aluminum construction. Cab was solid though.

I only found long beds and diesels.

The 36g tank is a big draw to Ford for me as well. It's standard on some models and optional on others. You're only stuck with a little tank if you get the hybrid.

AlexC2350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I had 13 F150 with 5.0. It was a great truck. I put 100k trouble free miles on it and it got awesome mileage 22 mpg highway, and with 36 gallon tank i got like 800 mile a tank. Which I miss a lot. The tank in my 6.4 2500 is waaaay too small.

Yardbird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It is not. It's the mid-line engine. Ford's progression is 3.3 V6 -> 2.7 EB -> 5.0 -> 3.5 -> 3.5 high output or 3.5 Powerboost

The 3.3L naturally aspirated V6 is the base motor in the lower trim trucks (XL and XLT), the 2.7L EB is the cheaper upgrade, the 5.0L is the most expensive upgrade.

Once you get to the Lariat, the 2.7L is standard with the 5.0 and 3.5 upgrades as mid and high upgrades, respectively

The King Ranch and Platinum have the 5.0 as standard and the 3.5L EB as the upgrade. 2023 starts the Tremor having the 5.0 as standard, whereas before it was a 3.5 standard

The Limited and Raptor have the high output 3.5L EB as standard.

I stand corrected. Thank you for clarifying. Next time I'll do more research...lol

What I do know is that Ford has no engine at this time I would be interested in owning, except maybe the 2.7.

That's why I'm in a V6 Ram. I want simple and reliable. The 300-6 in my '87 F150, and the V-10 in my '94 Ram 2500 have been bullet proof.

OP
OP
thkbaron

thkbaron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
well the salt does plenty to the steel up here. my father in laws 18 up here it's whole life is perfect.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I can tell you the aluminum corodes worse than steel here in Alberta. When it gets to minus 20, salt pretty much goes inert on steel, doesn't seem to on aluminum.
It is fascinating how when it’s super cold out the salt doesn’t actually make the steel rust NEAR as fast ..so long as it stays super cold out

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
It is fascinating how when it’s super cold out the salt doesn’t actually make the steel rust NEAR as fast ..so long as it stays super cold out
It also no longer melts ice or snow either when it is that cold. Salt on metal in an environment of zero moisture would do nothing. Cold weather dramatically reduces humidity. What you see on the weather is "relative" humidity, which is effectively temperature adjusted humidity. 45% relative humidity would really be about 10%. That real cold weather makes the air so dry that the salt is effectively inert.

OP
OP
thkbaron

thkbaron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I work a job where I talk with people a lot. I spoke with no shortage of 10 F150's with 5.0's today and all have been very happy so here's hoping I get lucky. See what happens.

OP
OP
thkbaron

thkbaron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Also I will have my full Theron suspension set up with 2.0 Reservoir shocks for sale as soon as the deal is done I’m just not listing them until I have the new truck and hand you never know stuff to go sideways the only part I won’t have as a half inch overstock coil overs and honestly if you have a newer Jen I do the one and a half inch anyway. Sorry for the spelling mistakes I voice texted that but you know what I mean