Bye Bye Power Wagon

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dutra

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yea get a ram. Great ABS hydraulic controls will never fail and parts will be readily available fully covered under warranty

OP
OP
thkbaron

thkbaron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Well I should get my old new power wagon in a few weeks. Just pulled the trigger on a black 17 with 25k on it. Leather/Luxury package. Sunroof, Bedliner etc. Just what I was looking for. It's from a non salt state too which is perfect!

OP
OP
thkbaron

thkbaron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Inwont in a couple weeks. Couldn’t take the small duty truck anymore. It’s a great truck and the aluminum is nice but the 5.5 foot box is getting old and let’s face it. It’s not a power wagon no matter how much of a lift it’s got and how big of tires. Plus our ford franchise left town so ram and Chevy are the only ones left.

OP
OP
thkbaron

thkbaron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Crap I thought i attached it!

Attachments

• 70975383517__D2E60A01-62F5-4D53-9158-BA5E3784FAFA.jpeg
    70975383517__D2E60A01-62F5-4D53-9158-BA5E3784FAFA.jpeg
    293.8 KB · Views: 12

Rayzaa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well sadly the 2022 Power Wagon is going to be traded in unless something changes in the next week. I got in around March or something and it's only had 3200 miles put on it. 900 of those were running back to the dealer for a few things. The payment is huge and lets face it. I don't live in an area that justifies owning it. It'll be better in someone else's hands. I'll be trading for a 2018 F150 that already has some goodies on it. Fox coil overs, a lift, morimoto head lights etc. It has the 5.0 with 373 gears. I just can't justify spending so much on a truck, driving it so little and having two kids at home that need things. Time to be a bit less selfish till they are out of the house. I looked for a Rebel or Laramie with similar options and price/mileage but struck out. Hope the Ford will be ok for quite a while. I'll post a few pics of it when I get it. I'm sure not everyone on the forum only likes dodges. haha.
Not sure why some are so quick to trade in so frequently. I keep my vehicles for years. Had my 2007 since new, had my 98 Ram for 9 years. Doesnt seem like you are sacraficing too much and how you keep saying you dont need this or that but keep trading out. lol. Its a truck, unless you haul stuff for a living, how complicated can it be?

Last edited:
OP
OP
thkbaron

thkbaron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I don't know how people are buying new ones anymore unless they have awesome equity or a really sweet job. The average Joe isn't going to be able to afford them if things stay like this. I'm sorry but damn near 80k for a well equipped Power Wagon is insane.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Spot on thkbaron. Same old story. If you buy stuff on payments you fall behind the curve really fast. Only way for it to work for most people is to buy what you can afford to pay cash for, a house being the sole exception and even that should be paid off in ten years or less.

I know, I know, real old fashioned concept that most laugh at, call unrealistic, not workable in today's world etc. The fact remains you will never accumulate any wealth making payments on everything you own. We have been relentlessly sold a bill of goods and convinced wants are needs. I remember clearly when a wedding reception at a hotel or fancy venue was only for the rich. Now everyone thinks spending 100 grand to get married is just your normal Bride's special day. Same is true of NEEDING a brand new car, used is for the poor and socially unacceptable.

We are being sold a lifestyle most cannot afford.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
I don't know how people are buying new ones anymore unless they have awesome equity or a really sweet job.

By not constantly flipping vehicles, especially in the buy->modify->flip cycle. By not financing things when interest rates don't make sense vs opportunity costs. By saving for what we want. I wrote a check for my '21, and would have bought new if I could have. I bought my '12 new and drove it until last year. I'll drive this one for 10+ years as well, and each month I put money back for that next vehicle. It's not a difficult concept, but it can be difficult to execute until you get in the right mind set for it.

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't know how people are buying new ones anymore unless they have awesome equity or a really sweet job. The average Joe isn't going to be able to afford them if things stay like this. I'm sorry but damn near 80k for a well equipped Power Wagon is insane.
For the most part you're buying them after the previous owner has taken all the loss and depreciation, I would love to own this one, make us proud and drive the wagon wheels off of it!!!

OP
OP
thkbaron

thkbaron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
By not constantly flipping vehicles, especially in the buy->modify->flip cycle. By not financing things when interest rates don't make sense vs opportunity costs. By saving for what we want. I wrote a check for my '21, and would have bought new if I could have. I bought my '12 new and drove it until last year. I'll drive this one for 10+ years as well, and each month I put money back for that next vehicle. It's not a difficult concept, but it can be difficult to execute until you get in the right mind set for it.
I have unfortunately been in that cycle. I just haven't been happy since the 04 Dakota. I'm hoping this is it for a while. I bought the 04 Dakota as a relatively poor college student. I mean I had a job but wasn't make a ton of money but I managed to make that work. A cheap new truck now is way more than that was. I think you are exactly right though. The best way will be to just save up for a while and drive what you can. To fully finance a new ride is getting pretty payment heavy.

pjcodner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I just bought a new 2023 Power Wagon on Monday from Walser in Hopkins MN. They sold it to me for 70k and they gave me 31k for my 2015 Ram 2500 Tradesman that I added a few things to. If you don't hang onto them for a while and keep trading in all the time then it is hard to afford them.

OP
OP
thkbaron

thkbaron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
True that. I've bought several vehicles from Walser. How was your customer service? It's taken me forever to get the paperwork completed on the past couple vehicles. They technically still owe me something for the damaged dash in my wifes brand new durango. I kept buying from them because the price was right and trades were fair. Glad I finally found something I'm happy with. I should have been patient when I bought the 18 and made sure it had every option I wanted.

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Glad I finally found something I'm happy with. I should have been patient when I bought the 18 and made sure it had every option I wanted.
Happy you finally found the right Power Wagon there.
Truck Baron!!!