Bye Bye RAM!! Welcome Toyota Tundra!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JerryETX

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500
Engine
Hemi 6.4- 3:73- 6 Speed
This is completely untrue. Despite the fuel economy, the Tundra is the cheapest half-ton to own over 5 years according to Edmunds. They retain so much of their value after the warranty is up and typically have very few if any repairs at all. That data was from 2019, by the way. I'm not sure about the new ones. Seems like Toyota has had a few hiccups with them. I probably wouldn't buy one.
You and I will have to agree to disagree. I went by the book on maintenance and spent 3 times on maintenance on my 2014 Tundra that I spent on my 2017 F150 in about the same amount of time/miles driven. If Toyota changed their maintenance since that would obviously make someone else's experience different. Again as mentioned I'm going off my 2014 experience. Maintenance was one issue, poor fuel mileage combined with poor towing was the biggest reason I got rid of it. My Tundra struggled mightily with a 7,000 lb travel trailer. My 2017 F150 out pulled, out accelerated and got much better fuel mileage than my 2014 Tundra (with the 5.7 V8) ever could have dreamed of.

Mittens

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
12v Cummins
Hopefully you checked with maintenance on that Tundra before you bought it unless they changed from the 2020's and earlier. Tundra's are crazy expensive to maintain. Differential change at 60K is one example. Diff, anti-freeze, brakes and transmission all have to be done at the dealer since the dealer sells the only fluid that can go in. I had a 2014 Tundra. I won't go back to one for that reason alone.
That definitely doesn't sound right. Sure you gotta use the right kind of antifreeze, but all the lubricants are like any other.

Have you read about the turbo waste gate issue? A significantish number of trucks (between 10 and 500 depending on the source) have gone into limp mode days or weeks after purchase. I havent seen anything about it in quite some time so it was probably an easy fix, but I haven't researched it for several months.

Good choice though. The Tundra was #1 on my list, but I just couldn't justify it with the insanity of the market.

Capt Derek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 HO Diesel
After 4 Years.... Bye Bye!! Quality was bad and the RAM service was HORRIBLE!! Truck parts failing in the first year and then after leaks and the Uconnect and climate controls completely failing at 19.5K miles... fighting with the dealership again for over 2 months... I was DONE!! I ordered the Tundra and here it is. The best day after buying my RAM was the day I got rid of it!! I was warned that my RAM electronics and truck would fall apart around the Cummins engine and they were right!! Love the engine but that doesn't matter if the rest of the truck doesn't work. No AC all summer in Las Vegas NV!! Really at 19.5K miles I had to get rid of it??!! RAM... Never Again!! View attachment 505236
Was yours only a 1500?

JerryETX

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500
Engine
Hemi 6.4- 3:73- 6 Speed
That definitely doesn't sound right. Sure you gotta use the right kind of antifreeze, but all the lubricants are like any other.

Have you read about the turbo waste gate issue? A significantish number of trucks (between 10 and 500 depending on the source) have gone into limp mode days or weeks after purchase. I havent seen anything about it in quite some time so it was probably an easy fix, but I haven't researched it for several months.

Good choice though. The Tundra was #1 on my list, but I just couldn't justify it with the insanity of the market.
If it was just me I would have said maybe the dealer I went to was filling me full of bull but it wasn't. Me, my uncle, my cousin and a bunch of our work friends who all bought Tundra's were not happy about it after we found out.

Moparzz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Good riddance - Toyota is one of the worst vehicle manufacturers with recalls that make your head spin - congrats on blowing your money on a junkpile POS that is an ugly pig. The metal they use is pathetic and you bought into the paid fake hype. Lucky you live in a desert because you can watch them rust away if you live anywhere in a normal climate. Turn a wrench on the engine and the bolts either break or round off. I've owned one of those junk Toyota trucks and never again - a truck that's only real purpose is for carrying groceries and nothing more. Be proud for getting ripped off - LOL. For as many as they sell to weekend warriors, you never see one more than a few years old on the road, wonder why?

lazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi5.7
Something sounds off about this story. If I read his past posts correct, he starts off bashing his semi new 19k Ram, most start off happy talking about their truck. And he bailed on this thread after 2 or 3 posts if I'm reading it right.

AltaVision

Reaction score
You and I will have to agree to disagree.
Dealers suck, and Toyota's dealers might suck most of all. I don't trust any of them. But just because you and your cousin's brother's uncles and aunts all got fed the same line of absolute BS doesn't make it true. The one single fluid that Toyota prices as if it's liquid gold is their 75W transfer case oil. That's it. Last time I looked it was like $80/liter. And pretty much every Tundra owner gives Toyota the finger for it and uses Ravenol 75W instead. Dealership service managers tell feed Toyota owners all kinds of BS. They push harder for the maintenance revenue because they aren't making nearly as much money off repairs as everyone else.

My 5.7L Tundra just shrugs at everything I throw at it. It does not care at all, even when I (rarely) overload it. I agree with you about the payload–I wish it were more in the 1900lb range instead of 1300lb. That's the one thing that bothers me. I'm on 285/75R18s with skids, bed cover, etc, and I can still get 16mpg combined. There is no other gas-engine half ton that makes sense for me, as I am absolutely allergic to having to go back to the dealer even once (never have with my Tundra). At the end of the day, I just have the best chance of having zero issues with Toyota. I don't need 3 more mpg at the risk of more issues. Comparing resale values confirms this.

Good riddance - Toyota is one of the worst vehicle manufacturers with recalls that make your head spin - congrats on blowing your money on a junkpile POS that is an ugly pig. The metal they use is pathetic and you bought into the paid fake hype. Lucky you live in a desert because you can watch them rust away if you live anywhere in a normal climate. Turn a wrench on the engine and the bolts either break or round off. I've owned one of those junk Toyota trucks and never again - a truck that's only real purpose is for carrying groceries and nothing more. Be proud for getting ripped off - LOL. For as many as they sell to weekend warriors, you never see one more than a few years old on the road, wonder why?
This is hilarious. Could you possibly be more personally offended that the OP chose a different truck? Lol. Overwhelmingly, most of the Tundras I see on the road are early 2nd gens ('08-'10). The first two to make it to a million miles (there are at least four now that I'm aware of) hauled well over their ratings working as parts hotshotters for oil companies.

Here is some hard data for you: Dashboard Light Full-size Truck Ratings. This site compiles dealer service and car auction data to paint a picture measuring long-term drivetrain reliability only. Any weird infotainment glitches, body or interior issues, noisy or failing cab mounts, etc, is not going to be covered in this study. Drivetrain only. And the whole thing was started and is run by a pair of Volvo fanboys. The numbers speak for themselves.

Mittens

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
12v Cummins
Here is some hard data for you: Dashboard Light Full-size Truck Ratings. This site compiles dealer service and car auction data to paint a picture measuring long-term drivetrain reliability only.
Looks like they only compared generations of the vehicles and didn't separate out different drivetrains. 94-01 Ram got a 53.7. Wonder what it would look like for the Cummins only.

herbt1958

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You are aware you could have switched to the Tundra and just went away? You didn't have to bash your previous vehicle on the way out the door. What is that old saying don't go away mad, just go away.
I had a 2019 ram 3500 with 6.4 and 25k miles could not believe that they would not warranty the motor after I was told it had bad wrist pins, they said it's not covered under power train any longer also had 2 transmissions put in under warranty after being without truck 4 months at a time. Relly bad customer service from dealer and dodge as well, so I now own a 2022 Chevy Silverado. So far, no issues and great customer service.

Soileau

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 R/T Sport
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I understand your frustration. I am a life long Chrysler fan and have had 4 of these Ram trucks. I ordered a 22 Classic to get a Reg Cab short bed 4x4 and it is having major issues at 6 months and 7k. All dealer is telling me is I have a lot of warranty left, as there is no lights on dash and no codes stored.
Man sorry to hear about your issues with a brand new truck. Is the dealership being helpful at all?? I wasn't aware that regular cabs were still available even if ordering. Do you know if the reg. cab Sport model with R/T package still available??

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Do you know if the reg. cab Sport model with R/T package still available??

Short box? I believe they recently discontinued the S/B R/C for '23 unless there have been recent changes. But there are some 2022's (brand new) on dealer lots if you wanted one ...act fast. Last I checked (2 wks ago) a guy could still configure a R/C short box and search dealer inventory and many were coming up. I don't remember the packages I was playing with within the configuration tool ...The actual R/T pkg I don't recall when it was discontinued.

XCELLR8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Man sorry to hear about your issues with a brand new truck. Is the dealership being helpful at all?? I wasn't aware that regular cabs were still available even if ordering. Do you know if the reg. cab Sport model with R/T package still available??
The dealership is not being helpful and I'm going to try a different dealership. The only way to get a Reg Cab is with the Classic body style, I found that the 2022 model year was going to be the last year for the Classic. They do not make a Reg Cab in the 5th gen truck. There was NO R/T package available in the 2022 Classic line up, just the Tradesman and Express being the only way to get a Reg Cab. There was a SXT package in the Tradesman line up that was close to the "Big Horn" trim level, which is what I selected.

Mittens

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
12v Cummins
Dealers suck, and Toyota's dealers might suck most of all.
Toyota holds the record for worst dealer I've ever been to. This was "pre-crazy" and they were having a big sales event. I'm guessing they had the traveling sales "super-troopers" in... tons of people, lights, music, balloons, food... basically a low key rave. It was the highest pressure sales situation I've ever seen. I test drove an 86 and hated it (far too small for me). I tried to leave pretty much immediately cause there's no way I'd buy that car, and even if I wanted it I wasn't done with my list of cars to see. I was so flabbergasted at their audacity that I didn't think to get angry. I had 3 salesmen basically begging me to buy the car. Told them they'd need to raise the roof, put new seats in, and extend the foot room for me to but it. "what if we give you half off a maintenance thing?"... Are you serious? I don't fit or want this car. How about you chop the price in half so I can resell it? "Ok here's our best offer, *some negligible discount*". When when I realized there was no convincing them of anything, I started walking to the door. A sales manager physically blocked my path. I have no idea what she said. All I remember is staring at her and being mystified. I remember she said stuff, but I don't remember saying anything back. I probably looked like a schitzo toward the end. It was a surreal experience.

A Chrysler dealer is my #2 worst experience just for their snoodyness. Went there to see what their cheapest prices were. Told salesman my budget (I think 10k used and 25k new) and expectations and he flat out told me that wouldn't happen. No alternatives. Just "no." After I realized that he was done talking I asked for what they do have. The cheapest thing he showed me was $50k. I pointed at the dozens of cheaper trucks and he seemed to pretend not to see them. I very awkwardly walked to my car as he followed and gave me his card. No idea what that tactic was.

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Something sounds off about this story. If I read his past posts correct, he starts off bashing his semi new 19k Ram, most start off happy talking about their truck. And he bailed on this thread after 2 or 3 posts if I'm reading it right.
He starts off about the Uconnect and really doesn't mention much else.

If I read the posts correctly, at another point he said it was new. There's a reference to his past Chevy and Ford vehicles (also bad), and of course the Ram, and comparing them to his multitude of Toyotas that were near sainthood trouble free.

I think this story was already cast before his very first post.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 3 June 2018. Now at 79488 miles

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I wonder why anyone who has transitioned away from Ram and thinks so highly of another make, would continue to inhabit a Ram site.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 3 June 2018. Now at 79488 miles

Mittens

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
12v Cummins
He certainly hasn't been very active. Maybe he snooped allot, but if I had those problems, I'd definitely be asking for help even if it's a last resort on a "beaten to death" topic. I do understand distrust in a car that has gremlins and no help from the mfg tho. A leaky tail light put my Accord into limp mode once.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Toyota holds the record for worst dealer I've ever been to.

There used to be a large Chrysler dealer in Oklahoma City (probably still there). You drove in a certain entrance (the only one) which had one-way traffic spikes as you drove in, like a car rental agency might have (meaning you couldn't back or drive out). You had to zig-zag through the inventory till you got to the main office/showroom and they flagged you down when you got there. They were pleasant enough and helpful ..helpful like wolves with a smile on their faces. The word "no" just means "yes" to them. They are persistent as heck.

If you didn't come to terms or look at anything, and decided it was time to leave and move on, you drove by some 'super deals' meant to entice you ...towards the only exit ....which was BLOCKED by a raising/lowering traffic arm (like at a toll booth), even had a little shed there where a guard would raise the arm. Super closer sales guys were staffed at the exit. They had radios to communicate withh each other, what you'd been talking about, what car you were in and so on. When you were about 2-4 car lengths from the actual traffic arm, they'd stop you and have a closer review (again) the 'deal' you were looking at, and why you didn't buy. It was hard to shake them. After FINALLY shrugging that person off, you'd get to the actual lowered traffic arm. There was a final 'closer' there to again, for the 3rd or 4th time...review what you came for and how they could come to terms with what you want/need. They'd throw some specials or 'deals' in to sweeten the pot. I mean, it was total hassle ALL THE WAY.

I've never seen anything like it. It was like going through a prison camp. Someone could probably attempt to nail them for attempting imprisonment. Once you got out of that place, ...for me, I sure wasn't inclined to go back through. It was a huge waste of time if you just wanted to browse inventory. The sales people became increasingly aggressive the closer you got to the exit. I guess the best way would be to lie and tell them you came to pick up some parts, maybe. I haven't been back there since the early 00's. Anybody from OKC know who that dealer was/is? LOL

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963