Bye Bye RAM!! Welcome Toyota Tundra!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Okay
1. The truck acts like it has a clutch when cold. Goes into gear but slips/flairs till up to speed.
2. The truck shutters when trying to downshift.
3. When towing a trailer and trying to back up an incline (my driveway) it slips and takes a lot of RPMs
4. When towing trailer on highway at 60mph truck will run 4K to 5K on RPMS, can not get it to select higher gear. This happens in tow/haul and normal mode. 6x10 utility trailer empty.
5. All most every stop sign there is a clunk when taking off.
6. Start truck, by the time you put seat belt on truck dies.
7. Start truck and it stays at 2K at idle until you hit the throttle.
8. Base radio with CD player freezes up. Has very bad lag.

I've taken this truck in to be looked at and all I got was the "we can not duplicate the issues" line.
If you have the 8 speed, you might want to check your transmission fluid level - 8 speed problems are almost unheard of though.
The clunk might just need the correct lube put on the spines at the front of the driveshaft to transmission slip joint.
Start issues - are you touching the gas or anything at all? Should be able to just start and let alone and it be ok - it will rev a bit higher when cold, how long do you wait for it to come down?

Radio, I rec. you upgrade to the 8.4 radio :)

gfh77665

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
The guy wanted to vent and he accomplished it. The thing is, he vented at us RAM owners, like we can something about it? Why target us I don't understand. We are not RAM-Stellantis, we are just everyday Joes who bought and enjoys our trucks. Trying to make us feel bad about our RAMS is futile and totally misses his intended target.

gfh77665

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
After 4 Years.... Bye Bye!! Quality was bad and the RAM service was HORRIBLE!! Truck parts failing in the first year and then after leaks and the Uconnect and climate controls completely failing at 19.5K miles... fighting with the dealership again for over 2 months... I was DONE!! I ordered the Tundra and here it is. The best day after buying my RAM was the day I got rid of it!! I was warned that my RAM electronics and truck would fall apart around the Cummins engine and they were right!! Love the engine but that doesn't matter if the rest of the truck doesn't work. No AC all summer in Las Vegas NV!! Really at 19.5K miles I had to get rid of it??!! RAM... Never Again!!
Here are some words from a fellow Toyota owner that he posted recently.

So fast forward 6 months - Toyota has COMPLETELY lost me as a customer. Started as a bad experience at delivery of the truck (100% dealer - nothing on the brand) - more recently walk out after a cold snap of weather (3 days below freezing) and try to start truck - battery is dead. Charge it and go through test - battery will not charge beyond 11 volts - so call dealer and tell them battery is shot.

They make me have truck brought in (won’t just swap a battery - I get that in a way) - and while there prove their complete ignorance in service department (seriously called me saying needed permission to call a locksmith to open truck as doors locked and couldn’t open as fob wouldn’t work - spent 5 minutes arguing with them that the KEY will open the cylinder on the driver door until I had to show up and SHOW them) - anyway, they test it - yep bad battery - but claim an aftermarket amp replacement on the radio was causing it.

I hope you enjoy that great Toyota service. Good luck.

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No Rice ever, I know our trucks aren't all manufactured here in the states, Twin turbo V-6 gas guzzler to boot and typical Japanese metal in a heavily salt environment and the looks that would stop an uncle ben clock, No Thanks!!!

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Naaaah.. just some good ole fashioned ribbing amongst truck owners. Most guys here have owned different make pickups for one reason or another .. :cool:

XCELLR8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If you have the 8 speed, you might want to check your transmission fluid level - 8 speed problems are almost unheard of though.
The clunk might just need the correct lube put on the spines at the front of the driveshaft to transmission slip joint.
Start issues - are you touching the gas or anything at all? Should be able to just start and let alone and it be ok - it will rev a bit higher when cold, how long do you wait for it to come down?

Radio, I rec. you upgrade to the 8.4 radio :)
Just quick answers, I'm not writing a novel.
No dip stick for trans, its a "lifetime trans" - Of the (4) 8 speed trans I've had this is the only one giving issues. Would think dealer would have checked fluid level.
Gas peddle not touched when starting truck, yes motor revs up at cold start then returns to normal 700ish RPM after a few secs. Most of the time.
The CD player will not work with the 8.4 radio and cant be ordered together - The CD player was the number one reason for ordering new truck.

Of the 6 Hemi trucks/SUVs I've had since 2011 this one is a dog and I hope it wakes up soon. And before you ask - it is a 3.23 rear end and I've had other Hemi/3.23 rear trucks before.

Love the platform - worried about the quality. I understand the OP frustration with both the quality and the service.

PaleFlyer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sorry. No Toyota anything for me EVEN IF It WAS GIVEN TO ME FOR FREE!!!!!! No Honda, Nissan Kia Hyundai either. Wouldn't even consider it.
Had a great experience with my old Civic, but can't stand Nissan. Love their engine, but everything else sucks.

hunterdan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
No Rice ever, I know our trucks aren't all manufactured here in the states, Twin turbo V-6 gas guzzler to boot and typical Japanese metal in a heavily salt environment and the looks that would stop an uncle ben clock, No Thanks!!!
You know the tundra is built and manufactured in Texas, right? And the motor is built in Alabama.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just quick answers, I'm not writing a novel.
No dip stick for trans, its a "lifetime trans" - Of the (4) 8 speed trans I've had this is the only one giving issues. Would think dealer would have checked fluid level.
Gas peddle not touched when starting truck, yes motor revs up at cold start then returns to normal 700ish RPM after a few secs. Most of the time.
The CD player will not work with the 8.4 radio and cant be ordered together - The CD player was the number one reason for ordering new truck.

Of the 6 Hemi trucks/SUVs I've had since 2011 this one is a dog and I hope it wakes up soon. And before you ask - it is a 3.23 rear end and I've had other Hemi/3.23 rear trucks before.

Love the platform - worried about the quality. I understand the OP frustration with both the quality and the service.
I wouldn't count on them checking the fluid level, you would hope they would but...... might be wise to ask them.

I didn't know that on the CD player.
All of the manufacturers think it is just cool and great that the radio is an entertainment/infotainment device - but so many of them have had so many firmware/software issues.
I would just be thrilled with a radio w/cd, w/usb stick input lol.
Unlike many, I don't want to run my phone through the radio :)

I know what you mean, the day of a tech trying something or trying to fix an issue appear to be gone. Now if it doesn't have a code then it means can't duplicate, see ya, have a nice day.

Hopefully someone at sometime finds your gremlin.

Last edited:

pjram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just want to say the best of luck to you. I’ve already learned I can’t trust my dealer but found local indies that are trustworthy. If I get to the point I have to start doing repairs on this truck it will be traded in for another brand. I’ve done one already but it wasn’t major. If it’s loyal to me I’ll be loyal back. American car makers have a different mindset about quality. It hurts business. I sure can’t go to ford after all those executives went to prison for intentionally putting bad transmissions in the focus. I believe Mary Barra is a good person with good intentions so I’d consider GM. Chrysler seems to be stepping up their game with quality. Integrity is questionable after they bribed the UAW in the previous contract. Like a previous poster said said Toyota is made in Texas and their families I’m sure depend on those jobs. Thats really what we want is companies investing in our country and making jobs for us.

Longfisher281

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.1
After 4 Years.... Bye Bye!! Quality was bad and the RAM service was HORRIBLE!! Truck parts failing in the first year and then after leaks and the Uconnect and climate controls completely failing at 19.5K miles... fighting with the dealership again for over 2 months... I was DONE!! I ordered the Tundra and here it is. The best day after buying my RAM was the day I got rid of it!! I was warned that my RAM electronics and truck would fall apart around the Cummins engine and they were right!! Love the engine but that doesn't matter if the rest of the truck doesn't work. No AC all summer in Las Vegas NV!! Really at 19.5K miles I had to get rid of it??!! RAM... Never Again!! View attachment 505236
To this day, my 2014 Ram 2500 has performed flawlessly. My purchase of the truck is one of the best decisions I've ever made, but for divorcing my 1st wife.

Capitan12b

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l hemi
Mee too . But keept my 1500 crew cab sprort

Attachments

• 20220917_190720.jpg
    20220917_190720.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 11

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I wouldn't count on them checking the fluid level, you would hope they would but...... might be wise to ask them.

I didn't know that on the CD player.
All of the manufacturers think it is just cool and great that the radio is an entertainment/infotainment device - but so many of them have had so many firmware/software issues.
I would just be thrilled with a radio w/cd, w/usb stick input lol.
Unlike many, I don't want to run my phone through the radio :)

I know what you mean, the day of a tech trying something or trying to fix an issue appear to be gone. Now if it doesn't have a code then it means can't duplicate, see ya, have a nice day.

Hopefully someone at sometime finds your gremlin.
I got OEM CD player in MY 19, 8.4 screen, Plain Jane U Connect 4 radio, works no issues.

gfh77665

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
The Tundra is "American" as any of the rest, mostly TX and AL specifically. All vehicles are all multi-nationally sourced and produced vehicles. Who knows, even the engineering might be done in India or something, and parts come from around the globe.

The Tundra is a fine truck. Its like any other though, there are flaws in every one and even a few lemons here or there. I wont bash it or any other brand. Everyone makes good quality trucks. I certainly wont vent at Tundra owners. Tundra owners are regular people just like you and me, and have nothing to do with Toyota service, for better or worse.