Cabin fan not working...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jeff Strader

BlackBeauty
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I've looked but cannot locate the resistor.. the flat panel with two "screws" on your picture is in mine too but they are not screws but screw like nipples made from plastic and permanently part of the flat surface. I also can put my hand through the hole where the motor was to find that on the other side of this panel there is nothing... Maybe one you refer to was a different year ?

Any other suggestions? I will connect the motor to battery directly next, to see if motor works.

Here is picture of what it looks like down there for me. 8c9e7a95e79bdfc98a8196bf819073dd.jpg

Sent from my CPH2089 using Tapatalk

Will that small rectangular panel pull down? That is normally the resistor location. It is in that spot for a reason.. It is mounted there so that it (the resistor) gets air blowing directly on it, so that it doesn't over heat and or melt down (or sometimes catch on fire)

Jeff Strader

BlackBeauty
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I've looked but cannot locate the resistor.. the flat panel with two "screws" on your picture is in mine too but they are not screws but screw like nipples made from plastic and permanently part of the flat surface. I also can put my hand through the hole where the motor was to find that on the other side of this panel there is nothing... Maybe one you refer to was a different year ?

Any other suggestions? I will connect the motor to battery directly next, to see if motor works.

Here is picture of what it looks like down there for me. 8c9e7a95e79bdfc98a8196bf819073dd.jpg

Ok did some in-depth homework on the 2015 RAM 1500 Rebel. According to my research, the 2013-2017 RAM's do not have an external Resistor. What they have are internal Motor Resistors. If your motor starting getting hard to turn (carbon dust buildup on the armature, seizing the shaft bearings up). That means it began pulling more amps than the 40amp fuse was designed to allow. Looks like you need to first replace the 40amp fuse then put in a new Blower assembly.....**** POOR DESIGN FROM CHRYSLER!

OP
OP
S

salmore

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
SOLUTION:
I found a guy who had a broken down Rebel for parts. We tried 3 fans and all were working the same as mine, mainly suuuuper slow, barely any turning and "ticking" noise. So it could not be the fan.

He then told me there is a controller for the fan located right behind the plastic cover as you open the passenger door, on the side there. We plugged in another controller, same result.

We then removed the front panel to see did it could be the knob which is responsible for the fan control, the panel itself. But quickly learned that's not it as even unplugged i can still control fan speed with the touch panel, so that knob is irrelevant.

Per owners manual there are 2 fuses in fuse box responsible for fan, HVAC... F13 and F99... But those are straight up fuses so on/off type of experience.. not it..

Having no idea what else it could be, as a last resort we took a handful of the bigger, box-like switches that reside in the fuse box, there is about 6 or 7 or so od them across the middle section and then on the bottom, all the same size. We unplugged them all and plugged different ones in.

Voila... Fan started working!!!

So, conclusion... These switches i believe work on an electromagnet type of way where they are on or off but if some corrosion builds up inside of them the electromagnet doesn't end up touching the other pin and electricity, given the connectors are very close to each other, jumps, but at much lower voltage.. so fan turned but very weakly.

If you have similar issue first replace all the black box switches in the fuse box under hood of the car... I don't know which one it was, but if you wanted probably relatively simple (just tedious) to unplug 1 by 1 to see which stops fan from working.

Hope this helps someone!

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Those black box switches. Are known as relays.