cabin pressure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Tombato

Tombato

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 New Body
Engine
Hemi 5.7
folks...there is no difference between this truck and other vehicles...it's what vehicles do when channeling the wind in through just one window.

Sir, there is a difference. caused by the same thing? sure but there is difference. thanks for the sound info

DieselMike29

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
Have those on my old car, they are the only "a/c" that the car has when I get caught in the rain...

View attachment 198578

Also please disregard the carpet stain (always bothered me about this picture), new carpet going in this spring pending the end of the world.
Looks to me like a '67ish Chevelle Malibu I had one too, but mine was a '67 Chevelle Malibu SS396 It was Orange (repainted that color) with a black vinyl interior
Oh, and I didn't have power windows and had to stop, get out to roll each one (except the driver's window, that is) individually - rain or not!

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Looks to me like a '67ish Chevelle Malibu I had one too, but mine was a '67 Chevelle Malibu SS396 It was Orange (repainted that color) with a black vinyl interior
Oh, and I didn't have power windows and had to stop, get out to roll each one (except the driver's window, that is) individually - rain or not!

Sounds like a real nice car! I love the orange and black theme...mines a 66 Lesabre that is pretty basic, same routine for wanting to roll all the windows down or up, but I love having that big open air, pillar-less look.

Tahoebronco

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
since I've owned my 2019 new body style ram which is almost a year. from day one I've noticed when either of my rear windows in my crew cab are open ears almost pop and feels really uncomfortable unless I crack another window does anybody else experience this or have any idea why this is happening is it just a characteristic?
I am like most everyone else on here who has posted about opening another window. I've installed window vent caps or covers on all four doors. In city driving they help deflect wind from rushing in too strongly, but at highway speeds I crack open the front passenger side and the left rear side a little for good open air ventilation. At highway speeds if I open the drivers side window, I get a little too much road noise for my liking. I'm posting a couple of before and after pics of the window vents but I'll try and get better pics of the vents later this week.

20181111_165010.jpg

20190413_103843.jpg

canadiankodiak700

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7L Pentastar
I have no buffering noise with my 19 classic quad cab, didn't with my 11 f150 extended cab, nor 2007 Ranger extended cab. But my 17 jeep renegade trailhawk sounded like a helicopter was following overtop if you opened only one window. Opening a rear was worse than a front. But as soon as you crack open that second window, the sound was gone

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Timeless

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
ok, for the record i wasn't born yesterday. I've driven about as many different vehicles for every year I've been alive at least ( 51) and like i said it may be normal for 4 door trucks that are made today but I've never felt anything in any of those like i experience in the Ram. my buddy said it's the same in his 18 gmc canyon. so it may be a crew cab truck thing but NOT an every car thing.

Maybe old age has made you less tolerant. :signs6:

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I like to drive with my door open about a foot. I just hate to be hemmed in.

Back in the teens it was no problem, as my Model T struggled to get above 40 MPH, and the door was really small.

It really bugs me that this spinnaker of a door makes it almost impossible to hold open without mechanical means about about 20 MPH (although completely opening the window does help).

I'm thinking about a class action against FCA. Any takers?

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
I just crack the sunroof a little if I want some airflow. put mode on face only. pulls some air thru..

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just about an "every car thing" with today's aerodynamics. I wasn't born yesterday either and have well over a million miles of ass-time in a lot of vehicles. Anything I've had new since about 97 or 98 has done this. Some worse than others but without exception. My econo-box Kia Soul, which is now almost 8 years, does this and it's shaped like a brick. My 2004 Nissan Titan, 4 door crew cab 4WD, bought new, did this. My Buick LeSabre did this. My Chevy Lumina did this. My 72 Ford LTD? Nope, you could open anything you wanted. My 88 Honda Accord did, however, though nowhere near as bad as today's vehicles.

The buffeting is actually a sign of good design, not bad. It means the vehicle is so aerodynamic that the pressure can't equalize and thus the buffeting that you notice.

Easy answer to this: crack the front window and the rear window. Air flow and no pounding.

This is why it happens and is normal.

A good set of the window vent shades will allow you to crack the window without the pounding wind sound in most cases.

TomB 1269

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Every truck I have ever owned did this. Its due to the way the rear window is straight up and down. The air hits it a bounces straight off. In a car its deflected. If you have a slider in the rear window opening it a little will relieve the air pressure.

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Every truck I have ever owned did this. Its due to the way the rear window is straight up and down. The air hits it a bounces straight off. In a car its deflected.

Ummm, no. I haven't had a lot of "cars", but the last 4 (two Saabs and 2 Mercedes, all MY 2000 or later) all did this.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Every truck I have ever owned did this. Its due to the way the rear window is straight up and down. The air hits it a bounces straight off. In a car its deflected.

If your theory was correct, then it wouldn't happen in cars too, their windows are not straight up and down.

Quoted from Car and Driver:
Whether you call it wind throb or buffeting or just plain annoying, it happens when someone in the car opens a single window at speed and it stops when a second window rolls down.
The phenomenon that produces this noise is the Helmholtz Resonance, the same principle that makes a bottle hum when you blow over its open top. It’s the interaction of the gas in a container with a single orifice and the other gases that are, um, passing over that orifice. In this case, the container is the car. The interaction between the two masses of air produces vortexes that compress and decompress the air, producing the throbbing effect. Hermann von Helmholtz
How intrusive buffeting can get depends on the car’s shape and the size of its windows as well as the speed the vehicle is traveling. Modern cars and trucks are more subject to air thump because they’re so aerodynamically efficient and well sealed against wind intrusion. Jim Zunich, GM’s global vehicle performance chief engineer for wind noise, explains: “We want nice, smooth attached air for aerodynamics, but that’s worse for buffeting.”

itsa69corvette

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5,7 Hemi
ok, for the record i wasn't born yesterday. I've driven about as many different vehicles for every year I've been alive at least ( 51) and like i said it may be normal for 4 door trucks that are made today but I've never felt anything in any of those like i experience in the Ram. my buddy said it's the same in his 18 gmc canyon. so it may be a crew cab truck thing but NOT an every car thing.
Check your rear wall under the back window (behind rear seat), there are two square pressure relief flaps, that could be covered with thin plastic. It seems like the factory forget to remove this plastic on several weicles, which is probably only for protection, when spray painting the car. (I guess)
Removed the plastic on my car, and pressure problems and whistling noise is gone. Also, the climate system works A LOT better now.

Last edited: