CAI or drop-in filter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

seabrook

Reaction score
Ram Year
Black 2018 Night
Engine
5.7 3.92 anti slip
I just put a dry AEM filter and added a air scoop that goes from the lower air box to just under the radiator.

Never short of air and does not suck hot engine fumes.
i did the aem dry flow too and removed the charcoal panel out of my upper air box lid

Fatbob Frank

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
Probably throwing money away, but I install the S&B yesterday. Haven't driven a lot just yet, so don't really have any seat of the pants review yet, but I will be towing on Wednesday and Thursday, so I'm looking forward to how it does.
View attachment 244858
I put one of those on my Power Wagon too.
Super well made.
I'm very happy with it!
I like the massive conical air filter.( dry type not oiled)
I had already put 35's on and glasspack but I could tell a difference in sound.
Throttle response is better too IMO.
IDK if it makes any more power but a better throttle response is a definite plus.

For the record I was running an AEM dry filter in my 1500 and liked it well enough, but I couldn't find one for the PW.

OP
OP
texasfan88

texasfan88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I put one of those on my Power Wagon too.
Super well made.
I'm very happy with it!
I like the massive conical air filter.( dry type not oiled)
I had already put 35's on and glasspack but I could tell a difference in sound.
Throttle response is better too IMO.
IDK if it makes any more power but a better throttle response is a definite plus.

For the record I was running an AEM dry filter in my 1500 and liked it well enough, but I couldn't find one for the PW.
Horsepower is just a number. Better throttle response is all that matters lol.

OP
OP
texasfan88

texasfan88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Little update: I went ahead and order the S&B kit. It's supposed to get here on Friday, so apparently only 2 day shipping...nice! Can't wait to get it installed and tell you all my thoughts on it.

cash4acres

4lb pompano
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L,660ftLbs=G56 Manual 6 speed
I use 2 KN drop-in replacement reusable filters, cut the bottom out 4 more Air and my turbo spins easier. MPGS 24-30 highway. 10,500 lbs truck.

Last edited by a moderator:

Firebird

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi
Ok, I did 2 different days towing with the truck with the S&B installed.

First configuration: pulls from factory scoop, plus had the side plug removed. For around town driving, this seemed to work well, great acceleration, and the noise level was minimal.
Wednesday, I towed in this set up. The torque was definitely off, and the truck had to work the rpm band harder to pull the hills (compared to stock)

Second run: side plug put in place, only pulling air from the factory scoop.
Today I drove with this set up, and what a difference! The torque was back, plus some. It pulled hills effortlessly, and honestly smoother than with stock box, with the benefit of being as quiet as stock.

Based on this, I will try plug out around town again just to see, but will definitely always tow with the plug in place.

For tow purposes, I pull 34’ travel trailer and it is right around 9000 pounds loaded.

Sadly, I did forget to keep track of my fuel economy, because I was so busy seeing how she handled the trailer. I’m towing again in 2 weeks, so will check it then.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok, I did 2 different days towing with the truck with the S&B installed.

First configuration: pulls from factory scoop, plus had the side plug removed. For around town driving, this seemed to work well, great acceleration, and the noise level was minimal.
Wednesday, I towed in this set up. The torque was definitely off, and the truck had to work the rpm band harder to pull the hills (compared to stock)

Second run: side plug put in place, only pulling air from the factory scoop.
Today I drove with this set up, and what a difference! The torque was back, plus some. It pulled hills effortlessly, and honestly smoother than with stock box, with the benefit of being as quiet as stock.

Based on this, I will try plug out around town again just to see, but will definitely always tow with the plug in place.

For tow purposes, I pull 34’ travel trailer and it is right around 9000 pounds loaded.

Sadly, I did forget to keep track of my fuel economy, because I was so busy seeing how she handled the trailer. I’m towing again in 2 weeks, so will check it then.
I would take a bet and say you were sucking in hot engine bay air with the plug out which will cause the engine to reduce power some.

OP
OP
texasfan88

texasfan88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok so I just got the s&b kit in today and I figured I would try assembling the air box first to save me some time for when I install it tomorrow. The only piece I’m having any trouble with is the thin rubber seal that goes where the plexiglass cover is located. I cannot get it to stay in the groove. Any tips on getting it in there and making it stay? Is it even required to be in there?

Firebird

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi
Ok so I just got the s&b kit in today and I figured I would try assembling the air box first to save me some time for when I install it tomorrow. The only piece I’m having any trouble with is the thin rubber seal that goes where the plexiglass cover is located. I cannot get it to stay in the groove. Any tips on getting it in there and making it stay? Is it even required to be in there?
I just started it in the top left corner, and with both hands, worked it down each side to the bottom. Takes a couple of tries, but it popped into place

Firebird

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi
Might be a really stupid question here but when you ran it with the side plug taken out, you also took the fender liner off too correct?
I did not

OP
OP
texasfan88

texasfan88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Finally got it installed. Wow that was a major pain in the ass lol. Warning: long post ahead.

Alright, I know most of you are probably going to laugh at me and trust me, I deserve it but this was my first ever cold air intake install. First off, note to self: don't do this without power tools. So taking off the bracket that holds the factory air box in place took quite awhile with a hand-powered ratchet and limited space. Perhaps I should've removed the entire fender liner but whatever. Second, the intake tube kept pushing out the giant rubber seal that's connected to the air box, so you have to put a lot of pressure on the filter side to keep it in place. The same thing happened whenever I tried to install my MAF sensor into the new intake tube. Not really all that bad, just really frustrating. The new breather hose, however, was really starting to **** me off. I had the hardest time trying to get it to stay on that little nipple or whatever you want to call it, on the air box. That part alone took me about an hour to get done...not kidding. Then once everything, except the filter were in place, I realized my engine cover was still off. Totally my fault but I didn't want to take it all apart to get it put back on so I'm leaving it off. It's mostly for aesthetics anyway so it'll be alright. Then I got the filter put on and then the fender liner screwed back in and everything. Lastly, as I was tightening down the 13 mm bolt that goes into the side of the fender from inside the air box, the bolt pushed the rubber grommet through the air box. So then, I had to loosen the fender liner back up again to be able to reach the bracket from underneath and loosen that up enough to were I could move the air box out of the way to be able to get to that other bolt. Anyway, that all got fixed and I finished tightening all the hose clamps down. Lastly, I tried putting that rubber seal that goes around the air box but because I had be dealing with this for so long and I was getting frustrated, it kept popping out of place so I left it off. I understand it may not have the best seal with it off, but sometime later, I might try putting it back on again. It's also way too long to but that's an easy fix. Altogether, with everything being so incredibly stubborn and difficult to install, this project took me a full 6 hours to complete. So bottom line is, don't ever hire me to do this stuff for you lol. All in all, it looks really good under my hood however the downside is that I don't notice any real differcen in performance or sound. I left the side plug in because it's 90 degrees here and it would be pointless to have it off and I also already have a a carven compeitor exhaust installed and I don't think a cold air intake is going to make much of a difference in sound with that exhaust system. But, it does look good and best of all, I don't have any issues as far as check engine light goes, despite the fact that I managed to break off the little tab that holds this thing in place. I have it taped down and it seems to be holding it in place. Not sure what it is or how expensive it's going to be to replace however.
View media item 30925

seabrook

Reaction score
Ram Year
Black 2018 Night
Engine
5.7 3.92 anti slip
Finally got it installed. Wow that was a major pain in the ass lol. Warning: long post ahead.

Alright, I know most of you are probably going to laugh at me and trust me, I deserve it but this was my first ever cold air intake install. First off, note to self: don't do this without power tools. So taking off the bracket that holds the factory air box in place took quite awhile with a hand-powered ratchet and limited space. Perhaps I should've removed the entire fender liner but whatever. Second, the intake tube kept pushing out the giant rubber seal that's connected to the air box, so you have to put a lot of pressure on the filter side to keep it in place. The same thing happened whenever I tried to install my MAF sensor into the new intake tube. Not really all that bad, just really frustrating. The new breather hose, however, was really starting to **** me off. I had the hardest time trying to get it to stay on that little nipple or whatever you want to call it, on the air box. That part alone took me about an hour to get done...not kidding. Then once everything, except the filter were in place, I realized my engine cover was still off. Totally my fault but I didn't want to take it all apart to get it put back on so I'm leaving it off. It's mostly for aesthetics anyway so it'll be alright. Then I got the filter put on and then the fender liner screwed back in and everything. Lastly, as I was tightening down the 13 mm bolt that goes into the side of the fender from inside the air box, the bolt pushed the rubber grommet through the air box. So then, I had to loosen the fender liner back up again to be able to reach the bracket from underneath and loosen that up enough to were I could move the air box out of the way to be able to get to that other bolt. Anyway, that all got fixed and I finished tightening all the hose clamps down. Lastly, I tried putting that rubber seal that goes around the air box but because I had be dealing with this for so long and I was getting frustrated, it kept popping out of place so I left it off. I understand it may not have the best seal with it off, but sometime later, I might try putting it back on again. It's also way too long to but that's an easy fix. Altogether, with everything being so incredibly stubborn and difficult to install, this project took me a full 6 hours to complete. So bottom line is, don't ever hire me to do this stuff for you lol. All in all, it looks really good under my hood however the downside is that I don't notice any real differcen in performance or sound. I left the side plug in because it's 90 degrees here and it would be pointless to have it off and I also already have a a carven compeitor exhaust installed and I don't think a cold air intake is going to make much of a difference in sound with that exhaust system. But, it does look good and best of all, I don't have any issues as far as check engine light goes, despite the fact that I managed to break off the little tab that holds this thing in place. I have it taped down and it seems to be holding it in place. Not sure what it is or how expensive it's going to be to replace however.
View media item 30925
looks very nice!!!

OP
OP
texasfan88

texasfan88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Wow, that's a lot of work for no results.
Does look nice though.
Thanks! Actually, I drove it around some more and it definitely feels more responsive on the throttle. It’s certainly not a night and day difference but I do notice it. The noise, on the other hand, I don’t notice any real difference at all. However like I said, I already have a carven exhaust, so this CAI may not make that much of a difference in terms of sound. It does look nice though

OP
OP
texasfan88

texasfan88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok so the part I broke off is the tab on the purge control valve. Luckily it’s only $30 on Amazon for a replacement.

Tray Burge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Wow, that's a lot of work for no results.
Does look nice though.
Bawhahahahahahaha!
I'm very grateful for the S&B's myself?
The guy that sold me his used Vararam took it off to go to the S&B system. lol