CAI or drop-in filter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RamHemi18

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
As mentioned, the Vararam Air Grabber is the only CAI for these trucks that will actually give any performance gains. The others are for looks and sound with the exception being the Volant with the lower scoop. That one actually decreases the intake air temps a bit. Other than that it's about the same performance as the factory air box.

I've bought and sold a bunch of intakes for my truck over the last few years. I've had the Vararam which I loved the lower air intake temps and the performance of, but hated the fit/finish, the new model S&B which I felt no gains over the factory intake, the older model S&B with the lower duct which again I felt no gains over the factory intake, the lower airbox from the Ecodiesel/6.4 trucks with the 6.4 Mopar filter, and finally I have the Airaid Jr that was mentioned earlier.

Take it from someone who's blown a lot of money on intakes for these trucks, the factory airbox with the larger lower half and filter is about as good as you're going to get with factory level filtration. Plus the factory intake comes out super easy to work on the truck if needed. Try that with the newer S&B intake.

A lot of guys run the Vararam with great success and honestly it's the only one that's worth the money. I just had problems with the filter popping out and dust getting in.

Hope this helps!
Sorry to revive an older thread. I'm curious on the Airaid JR tube with dry filter. DO you think the tube is worth it? I am planning on doing the lower box mod regardless. If the Airaid JR tube and filter is worth it I was looking to buy one through Nick if I cant score a used one. Unfortunately the price seems to keep going up on these kits!

2012RAM1500RT

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
I wish I could help you there but I've never tried one. I have the vararam and it didn't do anything for me MPG wise and I'm not positive HP wise but it sounds like it did. I love the sound and looks and very happy with it now that I'm over the sticker shock! Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Sorry to revive an older thread. I'm curious on the Airaid JR tube with dry filter. DO you think the tube is worth it? I am planning on doing the lower box mod regardless. If the Airaid JR tube and filter is worth it I was looking to buy one through Nick if I cant score a used one. Unfortunately the price seems to keep going up on these kits!
It definitely looks better and might give you a slightly better flow but honestly the stock intake tube is a larger diameter. Even thru the accordion part.

I would just get the 6.4/Ecodiesel lower intake/inlet tube and the 6.4/Ecodiesel Mopar filter or a AEM Dryflow filter.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I run the 6.4/eco diesel filter. I’ll run that paper filter till the end of time. Cheap as can be to swap out and will out flow the stock 5.7 filter quite a bit.

RamHemi18

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
It definitely looks better and might give you a slightly better flow but honestly the stock intake tube is a larger diameter. Even thru the accordion part.

I would just get the 6.4/Ecodiesel lower intake/inlet tube and the 6.4/Ecodiesel Mopar filter or a AEM Dryflow filter.
This is great information thank you very much. If the diameter is larger through the stock tube through the accordion then it really doesn't make sense to change it out. I will save my money on buying the airaid JR and go with the lower box mod and AEM dryflow, maybe even a pedal commander! Thank you for your input!