CAI?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hemi-ram2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Ram Laramie hemi CrewCab
Engine
5.7 hemi
What would be the good choice for one on a 21 ram 1500 5.7?
Some say OEM air box good?
Thanks

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It depends on the bigger plan for the vehicle. If you plan to add other mods like headers, exhaust, tune, etc... then there is a benefit to an aftermarket CAI.

Now by itself hp gains will be minimal probably not noticeable but you will get increased sound which most people like and typically slightly better throttle response.

if we can help you get an intake or any other mods please feel free to message me for info and pricing

OP
OP
H

hemi-ram2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Ram Laramie hemi CrewCab
Engine
5.7 hemi
Is there any way to modify OEM box for better sound out my Carven Exhaust? Thanks

Rlaf75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Unless you have plans on building the engine and getting a dyno tune then don't waste your money. Perfomance increases if any at all will be very minimal on a stock engine and will not be noticeable. You will however increase noise when at wide open throttle which may give you the illusion of power and it may look pretty under the hood but that's really about it. The stock air intake tube on my 21 Ram is already basically a "CAI" minus being able to see the filter in the box.

2012RAM1500RT

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Unless you have plans on building the engine and getting a dyno tune then don't waste your money. Perfomance increases if any at all will be very minimal on a stock engine and will not be noticeable. You will however increase noise when at wide open throttle which may give you the illusion of power and it may look pretty under the hood but that's really about it. The stock air intake tube on my 21 Ram is already basically a "CAI" minus being able to see the filter in the box.
I'm not denying either one of those, I bought it for looks and sound, anything else I get is a plus. I couldn't be happier with the results!

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
The only intake I'm interested in is either the Ram CAI or an OTR style. I'm more interested in freeing up room in the engine bay than any kind of performance gain claims. This would be my first choice but I don't want to spend that much on an intake. Not to mention that shipping on this is almost $200...

2012RAM1500RT

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
The only intake I'm interested in is either the Ram CAI or an OTR style. I'm more interested in freeing up room in the engine bay than any kind of performance gain claims. This would be my first choice but I don't want to spend that much on an intake. Not to mention that shipping on this is almost $200...
I don't blame you, those look nice but the cost.....wow! I think I spent around $350 area on mine, that was hard enough to swallow!

Dave Haddon

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So all this pitch about greater air flow etc is just that BS? My 21 Warlock will not benefit from say a K&N unless I am doing other mods ....which I am not. I thought giving the engine more air would be good in itself...oh hum...back to something I know..training dogs.....interesting points of view from folks.

hemihustlin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
well benefit is all in the eye of the beer holder, you know. some people have no trouble dropping 350$ on a piece of plastic for looks and sound and some dont feel its worth it. you have to decide which camp you are in.
I am some where in the middle. I removed the restrictive carbon filter crap in the top of the air bowl and threw in a drop in washable airaid filter that I had laying around from my last ram.
I am very happy I have just the right amount of HEMI sound without the open air element resonances and picked up some throttle response too.
all that without breaking the bank! :favorites13:

Plankton

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So all this pitch about greater air flow etc is just that BS? My 21 Warlock will not benefit from say a K&N unless I am doing other mods ....which I am not. I thought giving the engine more air would be good in itself...oh hum...back to something I know..training dogs.....interesting points of view from folks.
You have to remove all of the other air bottlenecks between the CAI and the exhaust tips. More air does = more HP, but that air throughput has to be more of a constant than just bolting on an aftermarket CAI. For example, the stock headers create a bit of a pinch point for air flow (down wind of the CAI), but installing LT's will increase that airflow which will give it more HP.

I threw a K&N on mine, and like others have said it's just louder not faster. If I had the $$ I'd go with a Vararam, larger throttle body, long tube headers, and a custom tune. Either that or just bolt on an Edelbrock supercharger with some LT's/tune.

Not A Cop

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I bought a cheapo spectre for $200 that should arrive thursday. HP gains? Negligible, MPG gains? Negligible. WOT sound? That's what I bought it for. Just to get a bit of sound out of the ol 5.7 until I finally decide which exhaust I'm going to purchase from Nick.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
well benefit is all in the eye of the beer holder, you know. some people have no trouble dropping 350$ on a piece of plastic for looks and sound and some dont feel its worth it. you have to decide which camp you are in.
I am some where in the middle. I removed the restrictive carbon filter crap in the top of the air bowl and threw in a drop in washable airaid filter that I had laying around from my last ram.
I am very happy I have just the right amount of HEMI sound without the open air element resonances and picked up some throttle response too.
all that without breaking the bank! :favorites13:
So does that carbon filter up top being removed do anything for you? I did it a couple trucks ago and didn’t notice anything. I haven’t done anything to me new truck yet for performance

hemihustlin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
So does that carbon filter up top being removed do anything for you? I did it a couple trucks ago and didn’t notice anything. I haven’t done anything to me new truck yet for performance
sound wise yes. I did the drop in filter one day and thought it didnt sound as good as my last hemi so I looked on the forums what the hell that cotton on the top was for and when I learned what it was I removed it the next day. Then I had a nice hemi moan at WOT
for sure its no where near as loud as a open element cold air intake but it does the job for me.

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You need a cam swap to get the HEMI sounds. A CAI isnt it... lol...