Caliper removal for painting.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DamnRam1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
5.7L Hemi
G2 Caliper paint is a great product and comes with everything you need. I did it on my Jeep and it lasted years. Just clean them well with the supplied cleaner and let them dry.

Then you can take them off to paint or carefully do it on the vehicle and only remove the wheel. Definitely wear gloves though. Take your time and it will be fine.

I just did front pads and rotors from R1 Concepts Saturday and should have painted my calipers and brackets but I didn’t want to spend the money. I might do covers later for a different look.

Matts175

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you are worried about removing the brakes, just leave everything in place, tape/paper everything off around the caliper and spray away. I just did my 2002 Ford Exploder like that and it looks pretty good.

slacadjuster

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Hey folks. I’m bored and thinking of painting calipers. Either red or black. I was gonna put those covers but for $200 there is no way I’m doing that. Unless I mess up paint job. [emoji1787].

Anyways, I don’t want to completely remove it. Just take it off the rotor. Is there any special tool that I’ll need to rent ? And is there enough slack in the lines to move it aside to paint or create a cardboard paint booth? As much as I’d love red flake in my paint I’ll have to pass for now....

I’ll have to compress the piston right? And if so, could I do one side at a time ? Front and back? Or will there be too much fluid in reservoir? I am pretty handy but brakes scare the crap out of me and obviously they’re important lol. So naturally I get more anxious messin around with stuff like this.

Thanks folks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sick. Exactly what I wanna do to my 2015. Let us know how it went

Tim Garceau

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport Quad BSP
Engine
3.92 8 Speed 5.7 4X4
Can you slip those on without taking the wheel off?

If so, where do you live or work? :cool:

moparpeetie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The only way it will hold up is to remove the calipers and have them powder coated, otherwise you'll be repainting them every other year to keep them up to *****, even with great prep and ceramic caliper paint, it won't last, ask me how I know. lol
Go ahead and spend the $250 on the covers, you'll be happier in the long run.
not true... I painted the calipers on my wife's old 2013 Dart with engine enamel(paint) a month after she got it in 2013, when she traded it on a 2017 JKU, they looked just as good as the day I painted them. All through the great PA winters too. Its all in the prep, take the time to do the work and it will pay off. I think they look much better than the plastic "Brembo" or generic RAM covers... Of course this is just my opinion. If you dig the covers by all means have at it. I'll be painting my calipers and the JKU calipers next weekend along with the caliper mounts.

ThunderMug95

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Can you slip those on without taking the wheel off?

If so, where do you live or work? :cool:
I think it may be possible, but some incredible flexibility and contortionism may be involved...I did mine alongside rotor/pad replacement. No human pretzel required.

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
I tried to install MGPs without taking wheels off....no bueno

Tim Garceau

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport Quad BSP
Engine
3.92 8 Speed 5.7 4X4
Big offset wheels with large spoke gaps would make stealing possible, everyone else is safe.

Last edited:

madtrucker2016

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
gotta save your money in about a year they will look all crappy so I would invest in some thing that will make my truck safer or maybe set of lights that's really a rip off but hey if your rich go for it

Razzman

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited CCSB
Engine
6.7 Cummins
gotta save your money in about a year they will look all crappy so I would invest in some thing that will make my truck safer or maybe set of lights that's really a rip off but hey if your rich go for it

Just curious, why would they look all crappy?

co-pilot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Yeah... And never wash it either because it's just gonna get dirty again....

Tray Burge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yeah, the only way to go is caliper covers or new calipers already powder coated, but I did read where somebody here used a two-part ceramic epoxy. Other than having the calipers powder coated, that'd probably be the only thing that might hold up, even with the best prep ever. Guys that are saying, "oh, mine held up after years of use after painting" or either full of **** or think ****** looking is okay, JMO.

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
I disagree, these are 3 years old.
Cleaning does wonders on longevity.

jfjgjvjcg.jpg