Calling all 3.21 gear ratios...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Thundr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Im running 38's and I have no complaints about it. Still deciding if I want to hit 40s

RayL

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I've had the 2016 crew cab 3.21 with a 5.7L, 8 speed. I have pulled an 7,500 lb, 28' travel trailer all over the country, for 3 years now. When I tow, I limit the gears to 6th or 7th max and use the lower gears intelligently when I need more torque. It works fine. I try to keep my RPM about 1800 to 2000 at a level cruise, when towing. Plus I get great gas mileage when I'm not pulling. Truck feels fine in everyday driving. To me the higher rear end ratio is overkill and an unnecessary waste of gas when not towing. Use your gears.

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My 2014 3.21 with 295/65-20 and had zero complaints. I could feel a difference off the line with the heavier tires, but passing and highway speed felt just the same. The transmission just shifted further down is all.

RammerHarder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Really nice looking trucks fella`s. I`ll leave all that fancy stuff up to ya`ll, i`ll just leave mine as it is, a daily driver. (now i`m rackin up 30,000 miles a yrs...OUCH!)
Anytime you add height and mass, it WILL effect the truck. It is also harder on your brakes, tie-rods, ball joints.
Fuel economy AND power goes backwards as well. But hell, it ain't my money paying for it. Have at it!

Really like that black 2019, that is fuggin SHARP...!!!!!!!!!!! ;)

DamnRam1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I have 35x12.50R20s and 3:21s with the 8 speed. I never minded it at all for over a year. Just recently added a pedal commander and I love it!

ThunderMug95

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Its so close from say my size 33.2 to a 35... I just wanted a big wide AT tire. 3.21, 8spd, hemi great combo...pedal commander, vararam, mf exhaust...Even better.
Back in the day if you had 31x10.50’s on your truck you were pretty hot stuff...my how times have changed...oem 33’s on Rams forever now...

78Staff

US Navy Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I'm on the fence - for typical driving it's fine with the 8 speed (I also have PC and run Sport mode mostly) but on the highway it does downshift from 8 > 7 more often than I remember it doing with 33's... Kinda annoying to be honest - any little rise in grade and it's dropping to 7. If I had it to do all over again, I'm not sure I would. In fact if I were buying today I would probably look for some 17" rims (Rebel rims would be spiffy :))and some 305/17/70's or similar. Probably tow bass boat better as well.

Haven't gone with a tuner, but have considered picking up a PCU off ebay and sending to Diablo and getting an i3 or whichever one allows custom tunes...

EDIT -
Going to backpedal a bit - was considering 17" rims and 33's, but in the end decided to stay with 35's. I did find some more info on the 8 > 7 hunting I was seeing so often - it seems to be somewhat affected by the Pedal Commander. I actually discovered by accident - I threw it into Sport Plus mode (Usually run in Sport mode) and noticed the downshifting was occurring even more often than before. So I put it in City mode, and the 8 > 7 downshift happened much less often. It will still do it on an aggressive grade change, which is expected - however the "slight rise" downshift (expressway overpass rise for instance) is no longer happening.

So, something with the PC pedal positions sensor in the Sportier modes seems to trigger a more aggressive downshift profile possibly.

Anyway, for extended highway/expressway runs I'll just put it in City mode - probably should have been doing that anyway for the slightly better mileage ;).

Last edited: