Cam choice for MDS delete

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

broby

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
2012 1500 5.7
Pulled my cylinder heads off and confirmed cam/lifter failure.
The block is good so I'm moving forward with a rebuild.
Planning on doing MDS delete.
Currently trying to decide if I should get a stock non-mds cam or a TSP Stage 1.
Are any other modifications needed to a stock engine setup to swap in a Stage 1? (new springs, pushrods, etc...?)
Where do I go about getting a new tune for either MDS delete or a Stage 1?

Are hellcat lifters worth the extra $200 versus regular non-MDS lifters?

Happy to find the block is in good shape. Ready to order parts so I can finish the job.

Thanks!

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
2012 1500 5.7
Pulled my cylinder heads off and confirmed cam/lifter failure.
The block is good so I'm moving forward with a rebuild.
Planning on doing MDS delete.
Currently trying to decide if I should get a stock non-mds cam or a TSP Stage 1.
Are any other modifications needed to a stock engine setup to swap in a Stage 1? (new springs, pushrods, etc...?)
Where do I go about getting a new tune for either MDS delete or a Stage 1?

Are hellcat lifters worth the extra $200 versus regular non-MDS lifters?

Happy to find the block is in good shape. Ready to order parts so I can finish the job.

Thanks!
There is no such thing as "Hellcat" lifters.All OEM non-mds lifters are the same now,and have been for several years. If you can find OEM lifters use them,stay away from the cheaper lifters like Engine Tech,unless you like pulling the heads and replacing lifters

Digitus78

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sounds like we're in the same boat. Haven't had my truck but 40 days and it went from quiet at dealership to diesel sound 3 days later to a rattle can sound. Now it won't go quiet all the way down.

Anyways i hope you dont mind if i pull up a seat on your forum post. I've been researching all day and still lost. So far I got 3 options.

1. Stay oem and it will happen again down the road. But the cheapest option and quickest.

2. Go all in and upgrade to stage 2 or 3. New cam, lifters, springs, solenoids, Mds plugs, oil pump, timing(might as well while im in there) and then unlocking my pcm and a programmer. Very expensive but bullet proofed. Could probably swap a 6.4 from ebay cheaper and quicker.

3. Buy one of those kits online for like 900 bucks and has a pulsar tuner with it. Leave the mds modules in there and just hope the pulsar will do its job.

Oh and did I mention it's a 6 speed so any upgrades I do Ill have to pay someone to custom tune the tranny because I know nothing about it. Just got told by other people with 6 speeds.

Wouldn't if bought a hemi if I'd know this was a issue. Atleast with my burban it was only a oil sensor gremlin. Now I have to sink a cool 1 to 2k into the engine.

ok rant/hijacking over.

P.S. 2k for a kit plus extra for a unlock and 2 tokens is robbery. Should be ashamed. Almost 1k for a complete kit with a pulsar included.

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
LoL !!! Are you seriously comparing that Pulsar garbage to HP Tuner... hahahahah

I needed a good laugh today.

Digitus78

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Not comparing ...I know one is "walmart tunning" lol and the other is a real tuner. Dealt with holley/diablosport and I wouldn't recommend them to anyone. But a pulsar in a kit for that price ... gets you to the same place.
Just saying 3k(not 2k) is pricey for a kit even with hptuners stuff added in. Read the parts list. Oem quality cam not even a upgraded cam or springs. "Hellcat lifters" literally someone just posted they are the same as non mds oem lifters. No oil pump or water pump. Not even a timing chain/kit.
Go buy a mds delete kit on amazon or a ebay special kit. Add a mpvi3 with 6 credits and a ecm swap. 700 add the ebay special OE equivalent with pumps and timing 580. 1280 plus tax and shipping... fluids/supplies. 1500?

Same thing accomplished at half the price. If that's in house price and they all the tuning only to get it up and running. Great price. If that's a here's your parts ... good luck. Then shame.

Hydrasport

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I went with a Mopar OEM cam for a 2500 5.7 with VVT and non MDS. A cam for a 2500 series 5.7 does not have the dual profile cam lobes so it's a little less in HP. The 2500 shows a little less HP but the torque curve is a little lower in the RMP range. Who makes the OEM lifters? I think Mellings make the lifters for Mopar. A stock OEM non MDS cam, MDS soleniod plugs and a can tune like Diablo will save a little money and gave some improved performance with the ability to make a few parameter changes. If I had it to do over, I would go with an aftermarket mild cam, new springs and matching lifters. That would require a custom tune and that will increase the cost of the repair. If you change cam profiles, headers would be nice. And then a better muffler. And then, where does it stop?

Scomer412

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Are the listers in the TSP kit any good? I had them installed and have been hearing they were bad when first released, thanks